Another one bails.....

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
I sure didn't last long around here.... I signed up with Dish in Feb or March of this year after many years with DirecTV. D* kept saying "your locals are coming...." for 2+ years and I finally got tired of it. E* had had our locals for a few months and were really making a push because of it. Plus a free DVR (the 522, which I had very issues with).... I'd been wanting one and finally sold the wife on it, after which she's determined it's a "can't live without" item. :)

Problem: After 3 months or so, our TV died. We replaced it with a nice 57" widescreen HD set. :D

After that, the HD bug bit me.... But we *needed* a DVR. So, $1000 out of pocket for the 921 ?? Nah, ain't gonna happen. No point going back to D* either 'cause the HD-DirecTiVo was also $1000.

Yes, I returned to the dark side. More importantly, I got an HD-DVR for $4.95/month. It also helped that they are offering satellite customers 50% for a year -- not 3 months or 6 months, 12 months. Then the 2nd year is 25% off.

A few things about my call to cancel. I was transferred to the retention people and the first thing I said was "no HD-DVR available" (paying $1000 or even $800 is *not* an option for me). The rep completely understood and noted that as my reason (no unit for lease, to be exact). I did ask about coming back and he told me I'd qualify as a "returning DHA customer" and would qualify for free equipment, free install, etc, etc, under these conditions:

1) I have a $0 balance
2) All equipment is returned (1)
3) I was a customer for (6) months
4) I was gone for 3+ months

(1) I returned the equipment myself after reading about the runaround people got waiting for boxes and shipping labels. I was told that the 15 days doesn't start 'til UPS delivers the bo:mad:es). They use a reverse-tracking to know when you get them.

So, sometime in the future if I can get an HD-DVR from Dish, I won't hesitate to come back. I had NO problems or complaints other than the one I mentioned. As the rep said, six months ago no one knew you'd be able to lease an 811, so maybe an HD-DVR will be available via lease someday soon too. In fact, may speculate the 942 will be a lease only.

well, i just got rid of my cable dvr, only because I moved to an area that is covered by adelphia, and they do not offer dvr...and they're pretty expensive. I really liked the dvr Time Warner had...really no complaints. the only problem i had, was some choppiness in sound of movies on demand and some other shows i had recorded...i got a new receiver and the problem went away.

i'm a little worried, after reading all the bad comments about the 522, that i'm goingn to hate this one, compared to my cable dvr...especially with my install being screwed up and not having my dish yet...i miss my dvr :(

aliaga61 said:
I really liked the dvr Time Warner had...really no complaints....
i'm a little worried, after reading all the bad comments about the 522, that i'm goingn to hate this one, compared to my cable dvr...especially with my install being screwed up and not having my dish yet...i miss my dvr :(
I too had a TW DVR before coming to Dish. Sorry to say, but I really like the TW DVR better. It was much more stable, had better controls and, most importantly, had NBR and season passes. I thought that would be standard on all DVR's. Boy was I shocked when I started using the 522. Wish I'd have found these forums first.
:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts