Another one bites the dust....

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
I have created this for those of you that have your console die, whether it be Xbox 360, PS3, or Wii, can post thier experiences so others will know what they are in for and what they have to do.

I belong to a gaming site that has something like this too and helps out those that have their console die.

I bet no one will pass this poor soul:
A Tale of 11 Broken Xbox 360s

Justin Lowe is your average hardcore gamer. He's fully embraced the HD era, owning both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and loves his Nintendo DS and PSP for gaming on-the-go. He even helps run Aggravated Gamers, an indie gaming podcast. What's special about Justin, though, is he's currently on his twelfth Xbox 360.

A Tale of 11 Broken Xbox 360s news from 1UP.com

I have been lucky so far. I have never had any console or handheld die on me.

::knocks on wood::

My daughter came to me the other day and said her Wii wasn't working right. I took a look at it and noticed the disk was not ejecting. I asked her if she did anything to it and she said no. I was able to pull out her Wii Play disk by forcing it out when a part of it came forward. I couldn't really look inside the disk slot because of the dust brushes on the opening. I then flipped it upside down and a nickel fell out of the disk slot. I looked at her and then at her younger sister and they both had this innocent look on their face. None of them fessed up but their Wii Play disk was chipped and unplayable. They still haven't come forward with who did it but I don't plan on buying them a replacement disk either. Luckily the console was fine. On a side note: so far my PS3 is working like a charm.

My 360 initialy had problems in November 2006, I could not play Chromehounds for any reliable length of time. It would lock up, sometimes while starting the game, sometimes after playing for an hour.

Microsoft deemed it a bad unit, and said they're replace it, I was under the new 1 year warranty (had a 01/2005 console).

Life got busy, got promoted at work, and didn't have time to go and pay for a box and shipping to get it back to MS (no coffins were being sent at the time) for my free repair. Why should I, it works for everything else, and Chromehounds is only mildly amusing.

6 months pass, I am playing Geometry Wars before heading to work, the 360 freezes, 3 red lights.

I call, now that I am well out of warranty and expect to be paying out the nose for the replacement costs. I explain the situation, and hoped that possibly since they had deemed it a bad unit 6 months ago that it would instead be appreciated that I had extended the life of my bad unit another 6 months.

Because I had determined I had a bad unit within my original warranty, the service techs (actually a lead taking tier 1 calls due to high volume that day) took care of me, transferred me to a lead (who was acting as lead, not taking calls) to arrange for a free out of warranty replacement.

It was actually reasonably nice talking to these guys, like they were just friends I was calling to talk to about my console.

Box was sent to me on 6/5, it arrived while I was away on business (on my first trip to NY!). I sent the console in on 6/12, and it is now arriving back to me today, 6/28 with a 90 day warranty that I will promptly call and extend when appropriate.

My son mentioned a game wasn't working in the Wii. I tried to clean the disc, but that didn't help.
Ran a cleaner disc in the Wii, and that did the charm.

Well my first 360 never worked as it shoul;d, I bougth a couple of days after launch date at Sears. Actually I got the 3 lights the first time I powered the unit. After a couple of hours trying everything finally got it to work. But I experienced constant freezes. So I waited a couple of months after I talked to my former manager(work at Sears for over 10 years), woth no luck tp get an exchange, So i got my money back in mid Jan 06, when I realized that Walmart have them on Stock. That unit lasted until Dec 06, I just turn off the batery backup for a 2 week vacations, when I retunned for Orlando, turn it back on, and the 3 red lights appeared(go figure). I jump some hurdles to get the unit replaced, because I live in PR so, for units out on the COnt US, the owner has to send the unit. Took M$ 3 weeks to figure that out.
Then that unit lasted until the end of May, again the 3 lights, but this time thet "told me" that a new unit was sent to me. The unit looks new, not like the last one that has scratches and dents all over the housing.
I was playing GOW, the two last 2 times that my units failed, hmmm..

My daughter's Wii, has 2 freeze episodes, while I play Red Steel.

Tom

Just got my refurb replacement for my launch day 360. Lasted 18 mos before getting the 3 redlights of death. Took 4 weeks from reporting to playing again.

What suck is they fix someone else's box and send that to you. The box has some scuff marks and the faceplate fell off after taking it out of the bag.

Still noisy but we are going to leave it on all the time for a bit to see if it crashes.

What suck is they fix someone else's box and send that to you. The box has some scuff marks and the faceplate fell off after taking it out of the bag.
If they sent me a replacement unit with surface damage, I'd just tell them that it didn't work and send it right back. That kind of condition is unacceptable.

If they sent me a replacement unit with surface damage, I'd just tell them that it didn't work and send it right back. That kind of condition is unacceptable.

Not sure that I want to be with out for another 3-4 weeks. Already missed 2 weeks of the H3 beta. RB6 has new maps so that will give it some life for another month.

My 360 just died. Static checkerboard overlay on the graphics, occasional bootup with signature "ring-of-death." Sad part is, I haven't even been playing it that much.

Well my 360 just died. Guess I shouldn't have created this thread. :D. I got the 3 red rings of "DEATH". Mine was a launch unit so it lasted more than most.

My 360 got the red ring of death 11 months after purchase. I di not take the warranty, so it's out of my pocket.

I received the empty box and will be sending in the 360 next week.

My 360 got the red ring of death 11 months after purchase. I di not take the warranty, so it's out of my pocket.

I received the empty box and will be sending in the 360 next week.

If you have only had it 11 months it is still under warranty. They extended all of them to 1 year.

I received my replacement unit the first time because it just kept freezing during gameplay. Nothing else was wrong with it. It was under warranty so I had it sent out for free, repaired and sent back in a week. This was offered free of charge. The call center rep told me he would note on the account that my warranty would be extended until October '07. A couple of days ago, my 360 started to display checkerboard patterns and vertical lines, and would also give me the ring of death. Called, waited over an hour to talk to someone only to tell me this:
1. My warranty expired on 3/3/07.
2. I can pay to have it repaired at a discounted rate of $105.

I asked to speak to a manager. The "elite" care team is now scheduled to call me back. I guess we'll see what happens. If I don't get my console repaired for free, I want a partial refund so I can buy a Wii or a PS3. Microsoft is disappointing me with their product quality.

Should they want to charge you , I managed to get the repair price down to half the 129 they try to charge. It's amazing that they have enough refurbs for all the broken ones:rolleyes:

Should they want to charge you , I managed to get the repair price down to half the 129 they try to charge. It's amazing that they have enough refurbs for all the broken ones:rolleyes:

I have the extended warranty on mine so unlike most I won't have to pay anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)