Another potential blackout... Gray communications

I received an alert on my phone today stating what is in the article-- as both the CBS (KOLN/KGIN -10/11) and NBC (KSNB-04) in the Lincoln-Hastings/Kearney DMA will be lost on Dish in my area at 6 PM cst Tuesday, 1/17--at least that's what it looks like. Not happy to see this--as I do watch CBS and NBC quite a bit.
The only antenna I have for OTA is in the house- at least at this time. I can receive the OTA signal decently for the 2 channels most of the time.
I will see what happens with negotiations if there are any on-going before I make my mind up about Dish service in the future.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
I will see what happens with negotiations if there are any on-going before I make my mind up about Dish service in the future.

I would REALLY like for the individuals locals to be broke out so we could see what they are costing and CHOOSE which ones we wanted. Is DISH shutting them off for PENNY'S or DOLLAR'S?

The PR wire is lit up like a Christmas tree. Every single link/site says "Dish decides to drop Gray"...verbatim text from the link Sam posted.

Per Gray Communication...."Our company has reached long term agreements with several hundred other major cable and satellite distributors. "

So just what is a LONG term agreement? 2 YEARS?

The last time there was an announcement between Dish and Gray of an agreement, was in Oct 2013. So, "long term" agreements appear to be 3 years, which probably not coincidentally, is the same time that the "must carry" decision must be renewed.

Reactions: Bruno
I wonder how long this outage will last? I was looking to drop down to flex due to programming way too expensive and this $5 increase once again and most of what I watch is pretty much locals now that I am going to lose one of the locals there goes a lot of what I view. Maybe it's time to bite the dust and rid of them or go on dish pause and view my recorded content until the dust settles with their blackout.

Reactions: jcanavera
The PR wire is lit up like a Christmas tree. Every single link/site says "Dish decides to drop Gray"...verbatim text from the link Sam posted.
If the quote from the press release is correct and Gray offered Dish an extension and Dish declined it, it does sound like Dish made the call to drop Gray.

Just a thought, if the carrier agreement isn't agreed upon, is there still a way to get waivers to get the national feeds?

If the quote from the press release is correct and Gray offered Dish an extension and Dish declined it, it does sound like Dish made the call to drop Gray.

Charlie is a poker play and when the price get right ..you will get them back. Can you WAIT is the question.

I will be losing both CBS and NBC if this isn't settled. The hostage threat thing doesn't set well with me. I'll live without these locals until a reasonable settlement happens no matter how long it takes.

OTA free after install it still works and takes the middleman out of the picture.
Not really.
1) It depends on whether you can receive the signal (most can).
2) If you're subscribed to Dish, you're still paying for the locals, even if you watch them OTA (just like you're paying for ESPN even if you don't watch), unless you go to the Flex package with no locals.
3) Dish has a history of pulling down guide data for stations in dispute making DVR a pain at best.

So even if I manage to get a signal OTA I still will have issues recording to my DVR because they want to pull it off the guide? What a pain!

Gray Television Monday said it is bracing for its stations to be blacked out by Dish Network starting Tuesday at 7 p.m. ET -- despite the satellite provider saying 'ample time remains' to stop that from happening.
“We are shocked and disappointed to learn that Dish Network has decided to impose yet another blackout on its customers by taking away our stations, which broadcast some of the most highly rated programming on any broadcast or cable channel in their markets,” said Kevin Latek, Gray’s chief legal and development officer.
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/gray-television-expects-go-dark-dish-tuesday/162508

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)