Another potential blackout... Gray communications

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The same pain you have most likely survived before.

I don't remember having that issue in the past but it has been a while. At least it's not on a station where the playoffs will be on in my area but I am sure others can't say the same. Two stations in my area are affected.

I would REALLY like for the individuals locals to be broke out so we could see what they are costing and CHOOSE which ones we wanted. Is DISH shutting them off for PENNY'S or DOLLAR'S?

Pennies

Every penny adds up over millions of subscribers.

Dish raises your rates every year regardless, so why should you care if they pay a few cents more for a certain channel?

If the quote from the press release is correct and Gray offered Dish an extension and Dish declined it, it does sound like Dish made the call to drop Gray.

While the locals often word things to benefit their position (and does DISH) I don't believe Gray is going to directly lie. It does sound like DISH decided not to agree to an extension and is playing hardball. I would only have speculation as to why.

Reactions: sam_gordon
I would only have speculation as to why.
Here's my speculation: The last announcement of an agreement between Gray and Dish was back in Oct. 2013. Assuming a 3-year agreement, that would put the expiration 3 months ago (maybe even earlier if there had been extensions made in 2013). Perhaps there have already been multiple extensions quietly made since October, and Dish has said enough is enough.

Here's my speculation: The last announcement of an agreement between Gray and Dish was back in Oct. 2013. Assuming a 3-year agreement, that would put the expiration 3 months ago (maybe even earlier if there had been extensions made in 2013). Perhaps there have already been multiple extensions quietly made since October, and Dish has said enough is enough.
Logical but with DISH's tendency to black out locals really doesn't mean much. Give DISH a few weeks with missing locals and Gray will give in.

Logical but with DISH's tendency to black out locals really doesn't mean much. Give DISH a few weeks with missing locals and Gray will give in.

While I like Dare2be's speculation better than mine I was thinking along those lines and it may fit with his. I wonder if DISH knows Gray needs DISH perhaps more than some other markets need them and being off will facilitate a contract.

Here's my speculation: .

The biggest deal i see is TIME they are shut off. Could it be DISH shuts locals now in order to get the time of the next agreement where it comes after the NFL football playoffs and Superbowl? Also is this not the time of the new shows coming out? If dish is able to push back the time till after the superbowl i think a lot less churn. IMHO but probably WRONG.

The neighboring market WTAP in Parkersburg, WV also owned by GRAY is stating on Facebook that Dish Network is paying much more for channels that are viewed far less such as ESPN so they want their share of the money that Dish is making from their customers. They are also stating that Dish needs them more than them needing Dish. That does not sound like a company that wants to give in this time but who knows.

While the locals often word things to benefit their position (and does DISH) I don't believe Gray is going to directly lie. It does sound like DISH decided not to agree to an extension and is playing hardball. I would only have speculation as to why.

From Dish Promise

Gray Television and Your Local Station
Updated January 16, 2017 3:35pm MT
"We are still in negotiations and do not understand why Gray Television has chosen to involve our customers at this time.
"There is still time to reach a mutually beneficial deal. Negotiations regularly happen right up to the deadline and more often than not they are settled without issue.
"We have offered Gray Television an extension as we continue to negotiate a new deal and they have refused this offer."

My deadline on Gray locals (CBS & ABC) has passed & is still on. As of an hour ago the locals were still coming with the propaganda about DISH dropping them. Time will tell...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The Gray stations in my market are still on in Harrisonburg, VA. Their website still has the banner with the 7 pm deadline today. Just FYI to the folks that keep saying go OTA, it won't work for everyone, just because "we should be able to get the signal" doesn't mean we can.

This really is a time favoring the local channels. There would be hell to pay for many, including me, if we were blocked from being able to watch the NFL championship games and Super Bowl at home...

Reactions: KG4KBU
The Gray stations in my market are still on in Harrisonburg, VA. Their website still has the banner with the 7 pm deadline today. Just FYI to the folks that keep saying go OTA, it won't work for everyone, just because "we should be able to get the signal" doesn't mean we can.
I've looked for an announcement of a deal but no luck. Something is up though - the local stations here have read the promo live during their newscasts lately and did so @ 5PM (Central) but never mentioned it on the 6PM edition.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

NEWS Dish Network and WDBJ7's parent company Gray Television reach agreement
http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/411010245.html

SWANNI's website
Dish and Gray Television reach new carriage agreement; 100 local stations stay in satcaster's lineup:
http://tvpredictions.com/dishone011717.htm

Yep, WHSV just had a ticker come across the screen thanking viewers for their support that a positive agreement had been reached. I don't believe the viewers really had an impact, just my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts