another question about add-on fees

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
Yesterday I called and changed to the DVR Advatage plan and I also upgraded an old 501 receiver that I have had since I joined Dish many years ago, to a 622 receiver. This will make two 622 receivers that I have total. In going over the breakdown of my new bill with the CSR, She said I would pay $12 a month for a lease fee (that's $6 per receiver) as well as $5.98 DVR fee (one DVR fee is waived for the DVR Advantage).

I always assumed that the primary receiver on any account did not pay a lease fee, only each receiver past the first one. She said that only applied to the original receiver I received when I first signed up with Dish (which would be the original 501). But since I'm upgrading that receiver to a newer receiver, then I would need to pay a lease on both receivers.

Does this sound accurate, or did I get another CSR that does not know what she's talking about? If this is correct, then I'm paying $18 up front for two receivers ($24 without DVR Advantage), and that's without adding any programming at all.

This has been pretty much covered already here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=91558

I don't think what they're doing to you is fair, but it may be correct depending on which lease programs you acquired each 622 under, the explanation the CSR gave you is typical made up BS. I would contact the executive CSU department to see if they can help or at least provide a coherent explaination. ceo@echostar.com

NightRyder

Does not sound correct.

According to this thread there is a picture of a FaxBlast to retailers that Mainstreet posted that says starting Feb 1st the first leased receiver fee is now included in the base package price. It mentions that this is for those that upgrade with Dishinitup.

Did you upgrade with the Dishinitup program? (Is there any other way?)

Does not sound correct.

According to this thread there is a picture of a FaxBlast to retailers that Mainstreet posted that says starting Feb 1st the first leased receiver fee is now included in the base package price. It mentions that this is for those that upgrade with Dishinitup.

Did you upgrade with the Dishinitup program? (Is there any other way?)

It's the "Not Retroactive" part I'm unclear about. What happens under the following scenario :

Leased 622 under the old DIU rules where lease fee always applies, it is the primary leased receiver, lease another 622 under new DIU rules. Do the new DIU rules now apply to the 1st leased receiver? Will Dish allow the customer to make the 2nd 622 the primary and waive the fee? Lot's of unanswered questions on how this all meshes together, can't apply common sense because we're dealing with Dish...:confused:

NightRyder

Last edited:
Good question! In his scenario, I would argue (with the ceo email) that I upgraded after Feb. 1 on the second 622 - so that should not include a lease fee. :) I would also wait a few days and check my bill online - it might correct itself automatically.

As a side note, I was told I could upgrade to a 211 and keep the 501 (limit 4 tuners per account) and it would basically be the same price per month. Since the 501 is considered the primary receiver (no charge), and no DVR fee for 501. But I really needed another 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)