Another Retrans dispute - this time COX/Apollo - about to hit AT&T/DIRECTV

Joe Capitano

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
Tonight during the first few minutes of A Late Show with Stephen Colbert, and again at midnight, KIRO-TV ran a crawl asking DIRECTV & AT&T video customers to whine to the satcaster/cablecaster because it appears that KIRO Seattle (and, likely, other COX Media stations which are controlled by that Apollo Investments firm) will disappear February 1, which is two days from now. Bad timing for KIRO since "The Big Game" (yes, THAT ONE - the Über Bol) is on their channel on the 7th. If you're a COX customer don't call DIRECTV or AT&T, call the station itself and whine to them if you absolutely must (better yet, just stay out of it. It's YOUR money they (Apollo) want(s)). Buy an antenna if you live close to one of their transmitter sites and get it up and operational while you can before the big events.

BTW: This same crud took place recently when Apollo took its channels off dish Network for a time. Been there, seen that. This has got to stop.

Reactions: jct21
I'm seeing that crawl here in Charlotte NC. The Dish Apollo dispute lasted about 6 months. Hope you fair better.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

WFTV, the ABC station in Orlando is running the about to lose channel if you have DirecTV/AT&T on their channel.

Owned by Cox of course.

This dispute probably won't last long, some big markets on this list, Atlanta, Boston, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Orlando and Memphis. They'll be feeling pressure to get that one done pretty quick. Super Bowl, probably not as much of a factor, only two CBS markets Dayton and Seattle.

Might as well get used to it until the FCC does something about it. I hope Locast wins their court battle in the coming months. That might put a dent in these disputes.
What can the FCC do about it? This situation was created by legislation passed by Congress.

Does anyone's Locast app work? Last time I checked it was installed on the Genie app but wasn't operable.

What can the FCC do about it? This situation was created by legislation passed by Congress.

Does anyone's Locast app work? Last time I checked it was installed on the Genie app but wasn't operable.
Well if everyone that's affected would notify the FCC complaint dept. instead of contacting the two parties involved or contacting their Congress person this might be changed.

I can't speak to the DTV version of the Locast app, but the Android, Dish, and Firestick versions work well here, and I haven't read any significant complaints about the other seven versions either.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Have you ever heard of Locast?
Yeah. Used that a bit during the recent dish kerfuffle until I got my antenna system fixed up. Needed an amp that burned out. Found one at Fry's.

Locast, however, has a nasty habit of breaking into programming every ten minutes - and they don't wait for natural program breaks, and every time you change channels to cross their palm with $5 a month. That will get very old and annoying while you're watching the Über Bol (aka "The BIG Game") in Seattle or Dayton.

If you can rig up an antenna and receive your local channels that way, problem largely solved.

I can't speak to the DTV version of the Locast app, but the Android, Dish, and Firestick versions work well here, and I haven't read any significant complaints about the other seven versions either.
The nice thing about using Locast on Genie is that you would be able to record the local programs and diginets. I guess AT&T management hasn't thought that out yet.

The nice thing about using Locast on Genie is that you would be able to record the local programs and diginets. I guess AT&T management hasn't thought that out yet.
I don't know how the DTV Locast app is configured, but the Dish app is not embedded in the program guide and does not support recording. For some of the other Locast streaming apps, there a streaming service named "Stremium" (formerly FitzyTV) that does support a DVR service for Locast and other providers starting at $5/mo.

I'm not saying it does, but that it could be configured that way if AT&T chose to. Why is the app still kept on the Genie receiver if they won't let it work?

They contributed $500,000 to Locast about a year ago. What's the grand strategy here?

I'm not saying it does, but that it could be configured that way if AT&T chose to. Why is the app still kept on the Genie receiver if they won't let it work?

They contributed $500,000 to Locast about a year ago. What's the grand strategy here?
I have no idea what AT&T is thinking about anything. ;)

Locast supplies them with an API so AT&T's programmers can use it in their version of the Locast app for their equipment. Whether the Locast API or the AT&T implementation is at fault is well above my pay grade...

Thought I'd pass on what KIRO/7 is saying on their website with added comment by me: “The best thing viewers can do is to Call AT&T/DIRECTV at 1-800-xxx-xxxx or locally at 1-855-xxx-xxxx. (NOTE: Phone numbers redacted by me. You should only call if there is a problem with your service, not about retrans blackouts or to give threats. COX Media/Apollo did the same to dish. They should be ashamed, but they continue...) Tell AT&T/DIRECTV that you pay them a lot of money to watch your favorite shows on KIRO 7, including “KIRO 7 News,” “Judge Judy,” “Entertainment Tonight,” the Big Game (aka The Über Bol) on Feb. 7 and the PGA and NCAA on CBS. Tell AT&T/DIRECTV that if it drops KIRO 7, then you will drop AT&T/DIRECTV. (Next paragraph:) You can also view KIRO 7 over the air with an antenna available at retail. Or, you can contact any number of other providers that are committed to providing you with all the programming you watch every day (numbers listed on their website)"

The station is also running a spot featuring one of their news anchors (I won't name her) basically stating the same thing. She should be absolutely embarassed.

Personally, I'm using the zoom function on my Hopper to eliminate the crawl which invades on the hour and half hour.

Last edited:

verview​

The stations listed below, owned by Cox Media, have been temporarily removed from AT&T video services as of Tuesday, February 2 at 2a.m. CT.

• This impacts DIRECTV, AT&T TV, AT&T TV NOW, and U-verse TV and includes On Demand and streaming.
    • This does not impact WatchTV.
In some cities around the U.S., Cox Media owns some local stations such as CBS, FOX, NBC, ABC, and some others.

Rebroadcast consent negotiations continue and there is no timeline yet as to when these stations may be reinstated.

Customers may ask questions in response to the temporary removal of these channels and can be referred to the AT&T TV Promise website (TVpromise.com) for more information. Customers can enter their ZIP code on TVpromise.com, get personalized updates, and more – all in one place.

The following customer talking points have been shared with AT&T’s internal field teams and can be used at the vendor’s discretion:

• We had hoped to avoid any interruption of this channel. Unfortunately, we are still working with Cox Media, the owner of this channel, to secure an agreement.
  • AT&T remains on the side of customer choice and value.
    • Our goal is and has always been to deliver the content you want at a cost and value that makes sense to you.
  • We’ve always fought hard on our customers’ behalf and we’re fighting for them again here.
  • We regret any inconvenience and appreciate our customers’ patience while we work this out with Cox Media.
    • This type of dispute is often resolved quickly, and we hope that this dispute will not be any different.
  • Please visit TVpromise.com for more information.

Customers can stream certain shows and events using the station’s websites or mobile apps

• NBC.com, NBCsports.com, ABC.com, CBS.com, FOX.com, etc.
  • Super Bowl? Customers can stream the Super Bowl for free by visiting CBSSports.com or by using the CBS app on their phone or connected TV devices.
  • To learn how, they can visit TVpromise.com > Watch shows in other ways

Locast TV App

Customers in the following 27 markets can access local channels through the Locast TV app. The Locast TV App can be beneficial for customers who are temporarily unable to view their local channels for reasons such as outages, signal loss or programming disputes.

The Locast TV app is available for customers in these markets:

• Atlanta, GA; Baltimore, MD; Boston, MA; Charlotte, NC; Chicago, IL; Dallas, TX; Denver, CO; Detroit, MI; Houston, TX; Indianapolis, IN; Los Angeles, CA; Madison, WI; Miami, FL; Minneapolis, MN; New York, NY; Orlando, FL; Philadelphia, PA; Phoenix, AZ; Rapid City, SD; San Francisco, CA; Scranton, PA; Seattle, WA; Sioux City, IA; Sioux Falls, SD; Tampa Bay, FL; Washington D.C.; West Palm Beach, FL
The Locast TV app is accessible through the DIRECTV and U-verse TV platforms. AT&T TV and AT&T TV NOW customers can also download Locast to their viewing devices through their preferred app store.

Click here about how local channels can be accessed through the Locast TV App.

OTA/Local Channel Connector (LCC) Offer Available

The Over the Air (OTA)/Local Channel Connector (LCC) is a drop ship-only product that eligible customers can qualify for if their DMA is experiencing a local channel dispute. The OTA/LCC is a customer self-install product only, available at no cost, that allows customers to view the disputed local channel over-the-air in their DMA.

Customers who are interested can call in to AT&T DTV Care (800) 288-2020. To qualify, the customer will need to have an HR44 or HR54 (the device is not compatible with other equipment) and be in a disputed area that is green for their zip code (this will be determined by the Care group).

Please note: Customers who call in to inquire about obtaining the Local Channel Connector (LCC) to get over-the-air locals may encounter some shipping delays for the LCC due to holiday pressure.

For detailed information on the use and installation steps of the Over the Air/Local Channel Connector (OTA/LCC), there is an LCC guide available at this link.

Cox Media’s Impacted Channels and Programming

Local Channels – Cox Media

Impacted AreaImpacted StationImpacted AT&T Services
Alexandria, LAABC (KLAX)DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
Atlanta, GAABC (WSB)DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
U-verse TV
Binghamton, NYFOX (WICZ)DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
MNT (WBPN-LP)DIRECTV
Boston, MAFOX (WFXT)DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
Charlotte, NCABC (WSOC)DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
U-verse TV
Ind (WAXN)U-verse TV
Dayton, OHCBS (WHIO)DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
U-verse TV
Eureka, CACBS (KVIQ)
NBC (KIEM)
DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
Greenwood-Greenville, MSABC (WABG)
CBS (WXVT-LD)
FOX (FOX)
DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
NBC (WNBD-LP)DIRECTV
Idaho Falls, IDNBC (KPVI)DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
Jacksonville, FL-Brunswick, GAFOX (WFOX)DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
U-verse TV
MNT (WFOX-DT)U-verse TV
Medford-Klamath Falls, ORFOX (KMVU)DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
MNT (KFBI-LP)DIRECTV
Memphis, TNFOX (WHBQ)DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
U-verse TV
Orlando-Daytona, FLABC (WFTV)DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
U-verse TV
Ind (WRDQ)U-verse TV
Pittsburgh, PANBC (WPXI)DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
Seattle-Tacoma, WACBS (KIRO)DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
Spokane, WAFOX (KAYU)DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
Syracuse, NYFOX (WSYT)DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
MNT (MNT)DIRECTV
Tulsa, OKFOX (KOKI)DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
U-verse TV
MNT (KMYT)DIRECTV
U-verse TV
Yakima-Pasco-Richland, WAFOX (KFFX)DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW
Yuma, AZ-El Centro, CACBS (KYMA)
NBC (NBC)
DIRECTV
AT&T TV
AT&T TV NOW

• Angry
Thought I'd pass on what KIRO/7 is saying on their website with added comment by me: “The best thing viewers can do is to Call AT&T/DIRECTV at 1-800-xxx-xxxx or locally at 1-855-xxx-xxxx. (NOTE: Phone numbers redacted by me. You should only call if there is a problem with your service, not about retrans blackouts or to give threats. COX Media/Apollo did the same to dish. They should be ashamed, but they continue...) Tell AT&T/DIRECTV that you pay them a lot of money to watch your favorite shows on KIRO 7, including “KIRO 7 News,” “Judge Judy,” “Entertainment Tonight,” the Big Game (aka The Über Bol) on Feb. 7 and the PGA and NCAA on CBS. Tell AT&T/DIRECTV that if it drops KIRO 7, then you will drop AT&T/DIRECTV. (Next paragraph:) You can also view KIRO 7 over the air with an antenna available at retail. Or, you can contact any number of other providers that are committed to providing you with all the programming you watch every day (numbers listed on their website)"

The station is also running a spot featuring one of their news anchors (I won't name her) basically stating the same thing. She should be absolutely embarassed.

Personally, I'm using the zoom function on my Hopper to eliminate the crawl which invades on the hour and half hour.
I always try to explain that ATT would not remove a channel, they are the middle person, the network, ATT/Directv, and then the customer.
I try to explain that its the Network that is the one pulling the signal, not D*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts