Another retrans fight. This has gotten very old

Here's a question...

For all the times Dish is "fighting for the consumers" and "holding the line against price increases" with these disputes, shouldn't Dish be GREATLY cheaper than competitors?

Please don't act like Dish (Direct, et al) don't "spin" their side as much as locals do.

I guess this does bear repeating. Yes, DISH is considerably cheaper for me than Direct TV would be, well documented, in the area of $180 a year. Even more if you want to compare Charter. And no RSN fee that would I would pay with Direct.

This is nbc for me in Atlanta. That's a very important station to my wife. And one that I don't think I can get with OTA. This might be the last straw I need to pull the plug completely and do streaming.

I don't get your premise. If you can stream NBC online, just do that now while the dispute is happening.

Reactions: Tampa8
I guess this does bear repeating. Yes, DISH is considerably cheaper for me than Direct TV would be, well documented, in the area of $180 a year. Even more if you want to compare Charter. And no RSN fee that would I would pay with Direct.
I would love to see that breakdown.
I can get close, maybe $15 month.
$180 a year. Under my price lock.

Right now for me under the Dish 2 year price lock, I'm saving $15 per month.
But whose to say I couldn't save more with Directv over the next 2 years with their promos.

After that I'm looking at about $3 savings with dish over direct.
But I'm also not getting the RSNS with Dish as Directv would give me.
With regular pricing with 5 rooms of service.

Last edited:
For all the times Dish is "fighting for the consumers" and "holding the line against price increases" with these disputes, shouldn't Dish be GREATLY cheaper than competitors?
Dish is in business to make a profit and if that comes at the expense of customers, so be it. Maybe Dish's "cost" is greatly cheaper than everyone else, but they simply increase their margin while staying cheaper than the competition (by a small amount).

My local NBC is owned by Tegna. They are running the crawl about Dish viewers loosing access by 9/30.
My local NBC (KGW) is also a Tegna property but I rarely watch it so I haven't seen any crawls. I've been seeing a crawl warning Brand D customers about the CBS station (KOIN - Media General) going dark on the 30th as well so the grass over there is apparently is every bit as brown.

Rounding out the disputes coming to a head is AT&T's Uverse and their dispute with Tribune.

I would love to see that breakdown.
I can get close, maybe $15 month.
$180 a year. Under my price lock.

Right now for me under the Dish 2 year price lock, I'm saving $15 per month.
But whose to say I couldn't save more with Directv over the next 2 years with their promos.

After that I'm looking at about $3 savings with dish over direct.
But I'm also not getting the RSNS with Dish as Directv would give me.

I am never talking about promo rates., and in some cases DISH is STILL less with no promo price than some carrier's promo rates over two years or very close. I posted specific exact costs between the two SAT providers in more than one thread.
The everyday price ongoing subscribers pay is what I compared, using VIP receivers and similar Direct receivers. It's no secret, not hard, I know what I pay and compared directly to the same with Direct TV. A hint, the fact that Direct TV charges for the first receiver already puts them in the hole. And I didn't even use a 211 receiver as a comparison or the difference would be even more in the DISH favor. My premise has always been, for those who simply want to save money but get DVR service and about the same programming as anyone else, I do not believe any provider in the U.S. will be at the lower price DISH is with their VIP receivers. If money isn't the issue you can pay with DISH closer to what Direct TV charges with things like whole home systems.

There's the kicker. The price difference shrinks more with the higher-end setups. One or two TV setups are where the cost differences come into play. Someone willing to pay well over $100/mo for TV only isn't going to look at price as a high-priority factor in their decision.

There's the kicker. The price difference shrinks more with the higher-end setups. One or two TV setups are where the cost differences come into play. Someone willing to pay well over $100/mo for TV only isn't going to look at price as a high-priority factor in their decision.
Well that's what I keep hearing, But I've yet seen it on paper.

DISH charges 84.99 for top 250
And $12 DVR fee
DIRECTV charges $86.99 for $15 , plus $6.50 , and a $3.63 RSN fee.
That is $180 per year savings.

Then I could see a big savings, But based on Dish networks quarterly reports, the average Dish customer is spending more than $86.

So I guess the real question is what is the average customer acually saving?
Better yet I'm fairly sure the average customer now days is 3 and 4 rooms of service.

Not to down play Tampa savings, But to compare a VIP single room
HD dvr that hasn't been made in years to a Directv Genie system is not that cut and dry.

I'm only paying a $7 DVR fee. :)
Again though the average customer can't get the rates yous quote.

What the members are saying in this thread is the amount of disputed contract negotiations all the time with Dish, it should be much Cheaper across the board.

Not just the grandfathered, Old equipment customers.

Dude I can only tell you I pay $102 for two rooms, six tuners with two VIP receivers - not 211's (four sat and two OTA) includes Top 250 and all fees,everything but tax. Direct TV for the same is $118.50. And I don't know if the second receiver Direct TV gives you (mini) has OTA. That is actually more of a savings than I stated, nearing $200 with no discounts from DISH being given for the package or fees.

ANY customer can get those rates Dare2Be used or I used, what are you talking about? Let me change that you don't know what you are talking about. I have no grandfathered receivers, I can get now, and a new customer can get now the same receivers I have now. In fact some installers have said those are installed more than the Hopper. Even if not still true a large number of new subscribers get the VIP receivers.

Because I gave you all the info to now do the same comparison, otherwise you will continue to post you don't believe it. I'll give a breakdown and you will dispute it with no knowledge as your arguments above show.
Apparently the link Dare2be gave you isn't enough? Since that post both provider's package cost have gone up virtually the same, Direct TV now charges $6.50 for each receiver not $6. But the results are the same. And that post was for one room, my current comparison is two, again with about the same results in savings.

All I wanted is a breakdown, and why would I disputes information if it's factual?

So by you choosing not to post it, Then apparently you have a problem with your own figures.

And that's fine.
I know my rates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts