Another retrans fight. This has gotten very old

Yup...Charlotte's turn to be involved in one of these...just saw a screen crawl going across WCNC (CLT NBC).

No biggie here, have the channel via OTA, and only watch sports on the channel on occasion, so no real need for guide data.
I've already set some OTA timers just in case. Not the first time this has happened in CLT. WBTV was the last one which never went off the air a year or so ago.

On a similar topic, CBS affiliate WANE in Fort Wayne, IN is posting a crawl about its dispute with DirecTV. They had the same thing a few months ago about one of the Ft. Wayne cable systems. Unless the FCC imposes a rule change, local stations will not play well with others.

One of our locals was running a crawl as well (I'm thinking it was our local NBC, owned by LIN, if I'm not mistaken) telling use that D* may lose the channel. I wanted to call and complain to them to get it off. There's no reason OTA, Dish, cable, etc viewers should see that.

Reactions: DWS44
In Minneapolis its KARE11 (NBC)

If it does get pulled, I wonder what NBC they will import in Mankato? Mankato is a 1 station market (CBS main/FOX sub) so they import ABC & NBC from Minneapolis. Dish IS allowed (in this circumstance only) to import a different neighboring affiliate if the imported affiliate gets pulled. Common sense would be KTTC Rochester, MN. But knowing Dish I see Duluth is on same spotbeam...so they will probably import KBJR to them (which is 250 miles away).

I've already set some OTA timers just in case. Not the first time this has happened in CLT. WBTV was the last one which never went off the air a year or so ago.

Those OTA timers need to be manual. The guide info for the OTA usually disappears when the satellite version does.

In Grand Rapids, it seems like Tegna has much less leverage because although they own the leading ABC affiliate, WZZM 13, there is another ABC affiliate, WOTV 4, which is also carried on Dish. Of course WOTV is part of Media General, which is fighting to keep its three stations (WOTV-ABC, WOOD-NBC, and WXSP-MY) all on DirecTV.

Same here in Spokane. CBS is available on both the Tegna station, KREM and a Sinclair station, KLEW. I've already switched my timers to KLEW, so I don't have to watch the annoying crawls on KREM.

But no joy with the CW, which is only available on Tegna's KSKN. If the blackout occurs, it's either KSKN OTA, or I'll watch Arrow and The Flash next week on Bell TV. It's nice to have choices. :)

Those OTA timers need to be manual. The guide info for the OTA usually disappears when the satellite version does.
Hmmm, what happens if one sets a timer on an OTA channel, say tonight, from 7-8pm, and then the channels go off-the-air ? Does that timer still fire at the right time ? I'm suspecting it won't because the data that the timer was referencing is (now) gone.

Well looks like I am finally involved in a dispute with one of my channels. Thank you to KaptainRandom. I didnt notice that before, but I still do not mind. Ill hook up OTA if there are really shows I care about, but all I can think of is L&O and the Chicago series.

I'll lose channel 9 here. No big deal, I have OTA but can't think of anything I watch on 9.

This isn't getting very old. It's the new normal. For satcos and cablecos alike.

My sat locals aren't in a dispute, and I already have manual timers on my OTA subchannels that potentially would be in dispute (guide data), so I'm good.

Hmmm, what happens if one sets a timer on an OTA channel, say tonight, from 7-8pm, and then the channels go off-the-air ? Does that timer still fire at the right time ? I'm suspecting it won't because the data that the timer was referencing is (now) gone.
I am not sure what you mean.by the channel and time. During the Sinclair dispute some switched their timers to manual OTA timers. A manual timer works

I am not sure what you mean.by the channel and time. During the Sinclair dispute some switched their timers to manual OTA timers. A manual timer works by somone entering th channel and time. No guide data is involved. Are you referring to some other kind of data?

Here's a question...

For all the times Dish is "fighting for the consumers" and "holding the line against price increases" with these disputes, shouldn't Dish be GREATLY cheaper than competitors?

Please don't act like Dish (Direct, et al) don't "spin" their side as much as locals do.

Reactions: Troch77
Here's a question...

For all the times Dish is "fighting for the consumers" and "holding the line against price increases" with these disputes, shouldn't Dish be GREATLY cheaper than competitors?

Please don't act like Dish (Direct, et al) don't "spin" their side as much as locals do.

Perhaps, except their "competitors" are going through the same disputes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts