Another StarChoice Oddity

Al K

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
I turned on my 505a receiver last night and got the "loss of signal" message. Changing channels proved that only two of the 15 HD channels had "loss of signal". I had made a list of all the HD channels along with the Ebnos. Guess what, the two channels giving the message were the two with the HIGHEST Ebnos.

Is the Ebno some computed measure of signal quality? I had a signal at +6.7 or less and loss of signal at +7.2 or more. The bad signals cleared up for a few seconds and I was able to verify the Ebnos.

something at the source probably

ebno is the signal quality to keep a stable picture. IN the free to air world, a higher quality means a stable picture versus pipxeling or no signal

starchoice have what they call transponders. each transponders hold channels at certain ebnos. if you want to resolve the solution of the hd channels from losing signal best thing to do is go to ch 299 and check your ebno reading and realign your dish from there. The highest ebno you can get is +9.9 reading. thats like signal in the high 90s. the hd are on f2 signal so tune to channel 260 and realign again from there to get high ebno reading. once those two channels have high ebno's, you shouldn't have a problem with signal loss, unless the uplinks are down where they send out those transponders. In that case, there's nothing you can do but wait for them to come back up.

Uplink Activity Report - 02/16/2007 - 4 changes

SC 7 series receivers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)