Another switch question (3 inputs)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Slump Buster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Forgive me if this has been posted elswehere.... I haven't seen anyone with my exact same setup.

I have a triple LNB dish with three lines coming into the house. I'd rather not run a fourth line in if I do not have to. I have the following receivers:

DVR (2 lines)
DVR (1 line)
RCA Receiver (1 line)

My questions:
1)
I'm trying to add another couple of lines. Is there a 3x5 connection?

2) Also, is there one that will allow me to multiplex in a basic cable signal?

3) Do the DVR's complicate anything?

4) I'm thinking of upgrading to HD in the near future on the first DVR (if the price ever comes down). Any considerations for that!

Thanks so much in advance!

Slump Buster said:
Forgive me if this has been posted elswehere.... I haven't seen anyone with my exact same setup.

I have a triple LNB dish with three lines coming into the house. I'd rather not run a fourth line in if I do not have to. I have the following receivers:

DVR (2 lines)
DVR (1 line)
RCA Receiver (1 line)

My questions:
1)
I'm trying to add another couple of lines. Is there a 3x5 connection?

2) Also, is there one that will allow me to multiplex in an off-air signal?

3) Do the DVR's complicate anything?

4) I'm thinking of upgrading to HD in the near future on the first DVR (if the price ever comes down). Any considerations for that!

Thanks so much in advance!

gotta pick this apart a little

1)
Yes... you plug 2 lines in and get 4 or 6 (3x4 3x6 no 3x5) BUT that will ONLY carry Sat 101 which has main programming... however lots of locals and HD are not on 101 so this would not allow anything from taht switch to get locals (some cases) or HD (all cases)

2)
You switches will either have 2 inputs or 4 inputs.. the odly numbered switches have an antenna input that you can diplex out

3)
Other than the need for a second line for full functioanlity... no

4)
Oh yeah... by the time the price comes down youll need a new dish. relatively speaking

HOWEVER.. at that point (if before the 5lnb dish coems to light) you will HAVE to have all 4 feeds from the lnb into a 4x or 5x switch... no way around it to get HD out to the other receiver(s)

Tahts all your questions... now mine..

You are Currently using 1 DVR with 2 lines 1 dvr with one line and 1 regular receiver... thats 4 lines... how do you only have 3 lines into the house and are using 4 lines? Something either isnt hooked up right or is missing here.

Thanks so much!

Sorry, I should have been clearer.... my goal in all of this is to do 2 things:

1) Add the RCA receiver noted in my earlier post

2) Have a spare line for my pool room in case I ever want to add another receiver down there. I just bought a used tivo on ebay for $25 :) But that's a story for another tivo upgrade forum.....

Anyway... so you're saying that I'd be taking the risk of losing some of my signals if I were to buy a switch? I'd probably be better off just running another line? Is there a switch that you could recommend? It might be worth a gamble on ebay.

I'm assuming that any of these switches will play nice with the switch installed inside the dish?

Slump Buster said:
Thanks so much!

2) Have a spare line for my pool room in case I ever want to add another receiver down there. I just bought a used tivo on ebay for $25 :) But that's a story for another tivo upgrade forum.....

Anyway... so you're saying that I'd be taking the risk of losing some of my signals if I were to buy a switch? I'd probably be better off just running another line? Is there a switch that you could recommend? It might be worth a gamble on ebay.

I'm assuming that any of these switches will play nice with the switch installed inside the dish?

most do play nice.. im a fan of the eagle aspen brand... but i think its mostly preference.

You may lose locals all together on anything not connected directly to the dish..

you would be better off running the extra line... adding a 4x? (without the antenna input) or a 5x? (with an antenna input)

The key word you are looking for is Cascadable though,

Slump Buster said:
Thanks so much!

You can use a stacker/destacker unit (costs a bundle) like the one at this site: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=SD575D. Frankly, I would just run the extra wires.

uboatcmdr said:
You can use a stacker/destacker unit (costs a bundle) like the one at this site: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=SD575D. Frankly, I would just run the extra wires.

the only problem with using a stacker/destacker is that it doesnt pass Sat C which he will need if he ever goes HD so basicly he would end up running the wires in the long run anyway

ShadowEKU said:
the only problem with using a stacker/destacker is that it doesnt pass Sat C which he will need if he ever goes HD so basicly he would end up running the wires in the long run anyway

True, but simply put the cost of the stacker/destacker would make most people want to go ahead and run the extra wires.

uboatcmdr said:
True, but simply put the cost of the stacker/destacker would make most people want to go ahead and run the extra wires.
you better beleive it... without clicking the link i neem to remember a set being around 2 to 3 hundred

with the triple sat dish to be able to have more that 4 lines, you need a 4x8 or a 6x8 multiswitch. 4 lines from your dish need to be run to the switch for you to be able to get all the satellites properly. with the 6x8 there may be minor signal loss, but a powered 4x8 will have no noticeable loss.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts