Antenna for 75 to 80 miles?

honda400ex2

Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Rice, Minnesota
Hi,

I am trying to find the best antenna for my area.

I live near Rice, MN zip code 56367
I am roughly 75 to 80 miles north west of Minneapolis / St. Paul.
I have 2 tvs one with a converter box and the other is a Panasonic with a built in tuner.
I have a tower outside roughly 35' tall with trees around. I am going to add 10' more height to the tower soon. I have a booster and amphlier hooked up also.
After the DTV switch, all the channels will be Digital on a UHF Band except 2 that will be digital but will stay on the VHF Band, channel 9 (Fox) 11 (NBC).

Was thinking about the Winegard YA-1713 VHF-high-band yagi for channels 9 & 11 and then the AntennasDirect XG-91 for the UHF channels mounted 4' above the Winegard.
Was also looking at the Winegard 8200U antenna.
Right now I have a fishbone type antenna, never tried anything else.

What I would like is to get all the UHF & the 2 VHF is possible. What would you recommend for my range?

I also attached the chart from the TV Fools Signal locator.
Any help would be greatly appricated.
Thanks
Tim

Attachments

• Radar-All2.png
    Radar-All2.png
    106.8 KB · Views: 293
Bingo! Those antennas are top-of-the-line choices. Stay with the YA-1713/91-XG combo for channels 7-69. An 8200U would be a better choice only if you need to pull in FM as well.

Your amplifier should be low noise for best results. If what you have now is made by either Winegard or Channel Master and it's not too old -- say, no more than 15 years -- it should work OK. If it's a different make or older than that, a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp would be a wise investment now.

If you want more signals than what's coming out of the Twin Cities, get a Channel Master 9521a rotor. Pick up its optional thrust bearing for longer motor life.

Wire your system with RG-6 coaxial cable, and you'll be all set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)