Antenna for an apartment?

Emraith

Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good antenna that would work for an apartment. I obviously cannot use a roof mounted antenna, so it needs to be something small enough to stick in my window basically. Right now I picked up a Terk antenna from bestbuy, that amplifies the signal: Terk - Indoor Amplified HDTV Antenna - HDTVA

It works halfway decent, other times the signal strength will sit at about 60, then drop to 0 every 30 seconds, making it impossible to watch anything.

What is your zip code so we can start be determining your heading, distance from the tower(s) and if you need VHF and/or UHF. Those details not withstanding; I have know people that use theses indoors with great results:

Channel Master 4220

Channel Master 4221

Channel Master 4228

Channel Master 2001

Winegard HD 4400

Winegard HD 8800

Winegard SS 3000

Antennas Direct DB2

Last edited:
Before you buy a Terd antenna make one for a couple of dollars for something at works.

Highly recommend the CM line of antennas.

I made the mistake of buying a TURD at BB last week; returning it. Got a Philips, which works better, but not spectacular. Going to run about 20 ft of coax to get the antenna closer to the eastern window -- the CBS/NBC/FOX OTA channels are all 10+ miles to the east, and not getting good reception at all in the apartment we are temporarily in.

I made the mistake of buying a TURD at BB last week; returning it. Got a Philips, which works better, but not spectacular.
Using an amplified antenna at 10 miles may be the problem. If the antenna has adjustable gain, you might try cranking it down and see if your experience doesn't improve.

I made the mistake of buying a TURD at BB last week; returning it. Got a Philips, which works better, but not spectacular. Going to run about 20 ft of coax to get the antenna closer to the eastern window -- the CBS/NBC/FOX OTA channels are all 10+ miles to the east, and not getting good reception at all in the apartment we are temporarily in.

Just a guess; maybe metal stud construction?

thanks, my zip is 15228. The channels i'm trying to get in most are kdka(2), wpxi(11) and wpgh(53). I guess I should mention too, the other thing that may be a problem, is where I have my HDTV and the antenna is facing the south. I may be able to put the antenna in a northern facing window, but it is facing toward another apartment building where I doubt it would get a clear view anyway. Does a signal loose strength as it goes distance?

I would get a channel master 4228 and mount it on a balconey if possible. I have this antenna for my apartment. I have it mounted on the same pole that my dish is mounted outside. (in my installation i have a pole mount next to my aparment not attached to the building.) It works well for reciving chicago locals at 40+ miles. if your sitation this should work well, Depending on your installation capablites.

Using an amplified antenna at 10 miles may be the problem. If the antenna has adjustable gain, you might try cranking it down and see if your experience doesn't improve.

I will try that with the channels that are problematic.

ABC comes in crystal clear, but it is broadcasting from within a few miles, on top of the mountain; the others are in town - to the east.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts