Antenna for father

bisonfan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 22, 2013
MN
Thanks again to those that helped me with my selection of an antenna earlier this summer. With my success and other fmaily member success, my father would like to jump to an OTA and dump his direct TV.

His tvfool report can be seen here hxxp://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46aebdb2832046

It has been suggested to us to shoot for the tower in Frost MN (due south roughly 40 miles) The tower information can be found here http://www.northpine.com/broadcast/mn/tv.html

The antenna would be roughly 25-30 feet above ground on a mast. The local appliance store suggested we go with a highend Winegard (fringe rated) and preamplified. There will be some tree tops in the way of a clear line of site.

To those with more knowledge of the towers than I, what is your take of the situation? What combonation of equipment should be suggested?

I think I would agree with the LOCAL APPLIANCE DEALER he should know what works in his area. If you don't like his price you can always buy the same model #s from the internet My alternate would be an antennacraft HBU44 and a Channel Master CM 7777 preamp.

I don't disagree with the local appliance guy, I am just looking for other opinions on the situation. I like to research things like this a little bit as I know that the correct antenna will make a big difference in the "success" of this adventure. I appreciate your input boba.

Well according to your Tvfool report you would be better to shot for the towers at St. James to the west. The top 7 lines for your report will give you a full set of channels with CBS on channel 12. You also have CBS on Channel 38 and 41.

If it were me I would start with and Antennas Direct 91XG and either an Antenna Craft 10G222 pre amp or an RCA RCATVPRAMP1R pre amp. Both amps are dual input one side for VHF and the other for UHF. That way if for some reason you can not get CBS on channels 38 or 41 you could add a cheap AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 connected to the VHF side of the amp to get the CBS on Channel 12.

Your channel 44 K44AD-D (KSTC) looks great. Lots of recent syndicated comedies on the main channel plus ME TV, Antenna TV, and This TV on the sub channels.

In my research this morning, I realized that going the UHF only route twoards St. James would be the better option. I know we can pickup a cheap VHF antenna for the CBS and Fox on KEYC if need be.

yup go with St James (well they call it Godahl)...much easier to get (Frost you're actually too far away)

I've been to Mankato tons of times and depending on where in Kato he is reception can be easier to get. Up on the hill (by MSU Mankato) you'll see huge UHF only antenna aimed S/SW (the older parabola ones....sadly they arent made anymore). Downtown is harder because of the valley.
KEYC is on the St James translators....channel 38 (maps to 12-3 & 12-4 to not confuse the TV with 12-1 & 12-2)
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=239
also KARE11 remaps to 11-3 & 11-4 (due to 11 in Sioux Falls being able to be picked up in the western part of that market)

Here is some info on the CTV setup along with folks to talk about for antennas
http://www.ctv.coop/index.php?page=1

KEYC 12 (the actual 12 tower) can be picked up with a simple rabbit ears...its that strong.

My father lives about 4 miles SE of Mankato. It is going to be a stretch but his best chance is St. James. Thinking a fringe rated antenna with a 30db preamp is our best shot. Trying to decide between the 91XG or HD9032. Any thoughts? The 91xg appears to be the best...

Last edited:
I have tested both antennas side by side and the 91XG wins hands down. newegg.com had the best pricing last time I shopped around at $63 including ground shipping.

My father lives about 4 miles SE of Mankato. It is going to be a stretch but his best chance is St. James.

I think as long as you get a good antenna he should be fine. Height will be critical. The higher the better

By the way here is the antenna I've seen on housing by the college. Too bad they can't be got anymore :(

Attachments

• PICT0009.JPG
    PICT0009.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 185

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)