Antenna questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Troch77

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
Southern PA
Just want to know if these antennas are any good or not.
I want to stick with a fairly compact antenna, But my terrain and OTA in my area is fairly poor

Also if they need Amps, and what kind do I get.
Antenna will be about 50 feet from Hopper3.

Thanks.

Screenshot_20170201-215203.png

Or even this one?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...&pf_rd_p=1c5f02ae-183e-4906-990b-5a293310a66c

I've Tried one of these , and got around 7 channels. BUT I never mounted it because i don't want one that needs to rely on a motor/rotor.

Screenshot_20170201-220012.png

Do NOT buy one of these- they claim "150 miles" but they are just cheap Chinese junk. Many threads on here related to this. Beware
Ive already had one, It only cost $35 and it actually did work.
Not 150 miles of course.
But 30.
My towers are around 30 miles away, But I'm in a valley which puts me at the poor scale for OTA.

I'm just wondering about the Antenna in Post 1.
I also found a Pre Amp thats looks sufficient.

I can't speak from experience about the 8-bay antenna pictured in Post 1, but with regards to your question about an amp, I like the RCA TVPRAMP1Z. Works very well, and is only about $25 or less. I'm 50+ miles from my towers and I'm getting everything including some low-power stations

I can't speak from experience about the 8-bay antenna pictured in Post 1, but with regards to your question about an amp, I like the RCA TVPRAMP1Z. Works very well, and is only about $25 or less. I'm 50+ miles from my towers and I'm getting everything including some low-power stations
This is what I'm thinking of going with.
Screenshot_20170201-231806.png

Yea, That's not going to happen here.

View attachment 124281
You have several VHF channels a UHF antenna isn't going to get all the local channels. Buy a good branded such as a Winegard or Channel Master antenna designed for VHF/UHF. The more signal the antenna captures the more effective a preamp. will be if needed. All your signals are 2 edge so you are most likely in a valley or on the back side of a hill UHF signals will bend more easily than VHF does. NBC 11, CBS 13 and Independent 9 will be harder to receive. A Winegard 7694 might work for you but don't expect small antennas to be very successful.

Last edited:
Reactions: pamajestic
I use a Channel Master CM-4228 and the CM-7778 pre-amp. I have no trouble receiving VHF-Hi and UHF signals from 45 miles away. Actually, I get Philly on the front side and Baltimore from the back. The CM-4228 is no longer available but the CM-4228HD is.
Amazon product ASIN B000FVVKQM

Reactions: Troch77
You have several VHF channels a UHF antenna isn't going to get all the local channels. Buy a good branded such as a Winegard or Channel Master antenna designed for VHF/UHF. The more signal the antenna captures the more effective a preamp. will be if needed. All your signals are 2 edge so you are most likely in a valley or on the back side of a hill UHF signals will bend more easily than VHF does. NBC 11, CBS 13 and Independent 9 will be harder to receive. A Winegard 7694 might work for you but don't expect small antennas to be very successful.
The ones in my pictures are both UHF and VHF.

If all his stations are coming from the same direction (West), wouldn't a more directional antenna help him?
I don't want a big antenna and I don't want one that I have to move.
Its going to be 28-30 feet up.

I've heard great success with these, with over 400 and 700 reviews and the both get a 4 +star out of 5 thats good enough.

Yea, That's not going to happen here.

View attachment 124281

You must be from Wayne or Pike county.
I'm from Allentown (Lehigh county) and I have that antenna. Actually, I kept it in two for an indoor setup to Philadelphia, for now.
However, I prefer NEPA stations, and I've been able to get WNEP and WVIA with this antenna. The reason I couldn't get WOLF is because they are on RF 45 and WFMZ is on RF 46 (co-channel int.). I'd need a more directional unit to pull that off. The reason I couldn't pull in WBRE and WYOU is because the distance to Mountain Top is too far for Hi-VHF (WBRE is RF 11, WYOU on 13). The antenna is apparently capable of 25 mile Hi-VHF. You're location is pushing it, but with an outdoor setup and pre-amp, you might be okay.

For the record, I can't get WQPX and WSWB because they broadcast from Scranton, as opposed to Mountain Top (south of Wilkes-Barre)... their signals don't reach Lehigh Valley.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)