Antenna Recomendations

Don65

Original poster
Apr 5, 2022
Ranger, Ga

Shareable link: RabbitEars.Info

Can anyone give me some input as to the types and sizes of Antenna that might pull in the stations based on the rabbitears mapping. I am trying to avoid wasting time and money, and realize that I have no experience or knowledge in this area.

I live in north Georgia near carters Lake. Lots of hills and trees. I'm at about 1100'. i currently have a Clearstream 4V that is supposed to be multi-directional (Ha!) I currently have it pointed at 180 and get WPXA that is 16.9 miles away, but that's it.

Looking at purchasing a Stellar Labs 30-2476 and a 30-2431 and point them to 319 degrees. Hoping someone with knowlege could tell me if I am wasting money ant time.

Thanks

Shareable link: RabbitEars.Info

Can anyone give me some input as to the types and sizes of Antenna that might pull in the stations based on the rabbitears mapping. I am trying to avoid wasting time and money, and realize that I have no experience or knowledge in this area.

I live in north Georgia near carters Lake. Lots of hills and trees. I'm at about 1100'. i currently have a Clearstream 4V that is supposed to be multi-directional (Ha!) I currently have it pointed at 180 and get WPXA that is 16.9 miles away, but that's it.

Looking at purchasing a Stellar Labs 30-2476 and a 30-2431 and point them to 319 degrees. Hoping someone with knowlege could tell me if I am wasting money ant time.

Thanks

Welcome to Satellite Guys Don65! That's definitely a rough looking Rabbit Ears report but don't give up hope before you try some other antennas though. My report is very similar here in Central PA - two edge reception or worse from 42 to 57 miles away - and my setup still gets our channels just fine 99% of the time. Antenna setup in locations like ours is pretty much trial and error. A little higher (or lower), here and there until you find a spot that works well. I can highly recommend the Stellar Labs 30-2370 and 30-2476 models. They are excellent antennas and are very low cost so you won't have much invested if things don't work out at your location. Pair these with a good mast mounted preamp and you will have the best shot at getting your channels. Good luck!

Long Range UHF: https://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/30-2370/long-range-uhf-hdtv-91-element/dp/72Y2542

Deep Fringe High VHF: https://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/30-2476/deep-fringe-directional-antenna/dp/71Y5462

Dual Input Preamp: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Televes-Televes-T-Force-Auto-Preamp-2-Input/5001423629

Single Input Preamp: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Televes-Televes-T-Force-Auto-Preamp-1-Input/5001423627

I can highly recommend the Stellar Labs 30-2370 and 30-2476 models.
I use the 2370 even though I have 2 high VHF stations. I can get all Washington DC stations at 100%, and quite a few Baltimore stations (and the MPT station in Annapolis) almost perfectly, and Frederick, MD stations not so perfectly. I even occasionally get Harrisburg, PA stations, all without amp.

Reactions: Comptech and FTA4PA
I will point out that WNGH is on low-VHF, so you should make sure your antenna supports low-VHF if you want that station. The 30-2476 is a high-VHF only antenna.

You might be better off with a massive all-band antenna aimed right at Chattanooga. I would think the WNGH signal should be strong enough to work even if the aim is off a bit.

- Trip

I use the 2370 even though I have 2 high VHF stations. I can get all Washington DC stations at 100%, and quite a few Baltimore stations (and the MPT station in Annapolis) almost perfectly, and Frederick, MD stations not so perfectly. I even occasionally get Harrisburg, PA stations, all without amp.
I had both, first the deep fringe VHF-Hi and worked well, then got the 2370 to combine the two together, I now use only the 2370, with no amp including VHF low channel 2 and VHF 7 just on the UHF yagi. 63 channels total and I live in the sticks. I cheat and only feed my silicone dust flex 4k to distribute the channels.

Another factor in reception is the antenna height. You can have a super whammy antenna and have your signal blocked by trees or the horizon. Can you get that antenna up higher AND use the best antenna possible as Trip suggested?
Oh, by the way the ClearStream antenna is not omni directional, but may be multi directional in that it can cover maybe 30-45 degrees, but you have it aimed away from most of your strongest stations which are NW of you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts