Antenna recommendation

hurtsogood

Original poster
May 5, 2004
Can someone recommend an antenna based on the attached antennaweb chart? I'm really only interested in the yellow channels, but the ABC digital is vhf. Thanks!!

Attachments

• antennaweb.JPG
    antennaweb.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 205
Make sure what you select is designed for about 1.75x - 2x the distance you really need AND has good gain for VHF Lo. By needing a combo antenna with great VHF Lo and placing it in the attic, you are really driving up the SIZE & COSTS. You should really look to properly mount at or above the roof line outside IMHO. This will cut down on the size of the antenna and save you money and headaches.

I don't have the info to hand but I think that KMBC-DT is going back to channel 9 (VHF-hi) when analog stations go away, and that the Fox digital station (not listed by antennaweb probably because it's still low-power) and the CBS digital station are staying on UHF. If this is true (you will need to confirm it) and you only want digitals then you don't need VHF-lo. So a CM4228, probably without a preamp, should do the job. Even attic mounted. You can always add a preamp later if you need one. (The CM4221 is smaller but might be OK for your UHF stations but not for channel 7 (or 9)).
If you want the analog stations as well you are into a pretty large VHF/UHF combo antenna.

The CM3016 (attic mount, w/pre amp) was recommended to me by a professional and I wanted to run it past you guys. Would this allow me to pull in just the digitals listed in the chart? Thanks for all your help!!!!

It very well might; your scenario will be specific to you. Your location, topography, landscape features, attic/house build will be totally different than ours.

If this was a recommended solution for your area you should try it out. It is rated at 30 UHF & 45 VHF miles under perfect conditions and has low VHF Lo gain, and that will be greatly reduced in the attic.

The CM3016 is (to quote one antenna expert) "a bit of a dog", not one of CMs best antennas. But it would probably work - depends on your attic and exact location. Remember that attic mounting typically loses you around 50% of the signal. If you can get a CM3016 from somewhere with a good return policy and someone local to you has recommended it then you should try it.
But I am always concerned when there is a recommendation for a preamp for someone who is not very far from the transmitters. If you have the space, you are better off getting a larger antenna and not using a preamp. If you don't have the space, then you might need a preamp.

I am not one for the cm advantage series of antenna at any cost, availability, etc.

Would install a winegard hd7080P or hd7082P there and enjoy what digital has to offer for many years to come.

It is worth the slight extra cash and are built to last forever.

Rick, he's looking for an attic mount - the 7080p and 7082p are great for outside but are they enough to overcome the attic issue?

Who the hell knows how much signal you would loose in that attic.

From my experience, I just like how those 2 antennas perform at that distance and I think the cm advantage series antennas (cm3016, etc.) are garbage.

I prefer not to compromise using a uhf antenna (cm4228) for mediocar high vhf reception...even if it is only for one channel.

Last edited:
Yes, I know the Winegards are much better than the CM3016.
I have a CM4228 in my attic (no preamp, lots of A/C ducting) and get all the DFW stations at great signal strength/quality at almost exactly 40 miles including 8.1 (frequency is channel 9), and the CM4228 is much easier to position between the attic structures than a VHF/UHF combo - in fact I can't get a big combo antenna poiunted in the right direction, it won't fit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts