Antenna Repair

evenout

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I've got an antenna mounted on a tower outside, it's about 35 to 40 foot up. It doesn't get very good reception. It's using the old flat (300 ohm?) cable, which I think the wind has tore up pretty good over the years. I also suspect that the amplifier up on the antenna is pretty much shot.

I'd like to run new coax up to the antenna and into the TV. I've got the coax to do that. But I'm not too much of a heights person and 40 foot up is a bit too far for me and even if I could get up there, I'm not sure I'd have two hands to do anything with.

Is this something I could have hired out to have someone do. If I provided the coax and got a new amplifier (the right kind) would they climb up there or bring a lift and hook that up. Where would I go to find someone to do such a task? Any ideas on about how much it would cost? Would some of the local satellite installers do something like this? What would be a typical charge? Are we talking like $50 or $200 or even more? I don't expect anybody to nail down a specific price, I'd just like to know a general ballpark figure of what I could expect to pay and if a local satellite installer if that is something they might do.

I don't think craigslist is an option (although I've never used it). I live in a rural area. A really rural area.

I've got an antenna mounted on a tower outside, it's about 35 to 40 foot up. It doesn't get very good reception. It's using the old flat (300 ohm?) cable, which I think the wind has tore up pretty good over the years. I also suspect that the amplifier up on the antenna is pretty much shot.

I'd like to run new coax up to the antenna and into the TV. I've got the coax to do that. But I'm not too much of a heights person and 40 foot up is a bit too far for me and even if I could get up there, I'm not sure I'd have two hands to do anything with.

Is this something I could have hired out to have someone do. If I provided the coax and got a new amplifier (the right kind) would they climb up there or bring a lift and hook that up. Where would I go to find someone to do such a task? Any ideas on about how much it would cost? Would some of the local satellite installers do something like this? What would be a typical charge? Are we talking like $50 or $200 or even more? I don't expect anybody to nail down a specific price, I'd just like to know a general ballpark figure of what I could expect to pay and if a local satellite installer if that is something they might do.
The only part of your antenna system you may be able to salvage is the tower. If it is old enough to have been put together with flat lead(300 ohm) the antenna is probably 20-30 years old. Weather is going to have taken a toll on the antenna elements and connectors. For a qualified insured TV antenna installation crew I would expect you would be closer to $1000 than $200 for a 40 ft tower.

You might go to www.tvfool.com and see what you really need for a TV Antenna system in the digital age.

As long as the antenna covers the right band(s) for the channels in your area, the elements are still attached and nothing is broken it probably will work fine. Like Boba suggested, check out the TV Fool site for this reference. An antenna is an antenna, is an antenna, is an antenna. No need to upgrade unless TV Fool shows differently.

Have you considered renting a bucket lift from a local equipment rental facility (Home Depot, etc.)? These are trailer mounted (easily wheeled into back yards/tight spaces) and 40' is within the reach of most.

All you will need is some penetrating oil (for stubborn old connectors), a 300 to 75ohm outdoor transformer/balun, nylon ties, pre made rg6 coax (or coax, connectors, stripper tool, compression tool), ground block and wire to connect to house ground.

Easy task to work from a bucket! Maybe a local handyman has a lift bucket? Tree trimming service? You don't need a pro to replace a cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: osu1991
The antenna used to work, a few months ago or so. It didn't work that great, but local channels came in from about 50 miles away, maybe further (would cut in and out a lot). But it kept getting progressively worse. I figured it was the ragged flat cable and now I think the amplifier may be bad as well. Now I only get a channel that's about 5 or 10 miles away. I rarely use the antenna, but the recent Raycom blackout on DirecTV has got me thinking about getting it fixed for a kind of backup plan

I might be just as well off to get a new antenna and mount it closer to the ground. Is a newer antenna 10 foot or so off the ground better than an older antenna 30 foot off the ground?

As far as professional install, I was really kind of asking if satellite installers might do the job off hours, I thought they might have the equipment or the straps to climb up there. I've got the coax to run, I can run it under the house to the TV, there's a ground wire already run. I was mainly asking if this is something satellite installers might do in their time off. I'll pay them, but not necessarily looking for anything professional. Would they have the equipment to do the job? Do any of you all have a small electronics outfit/satellite install business, is this something you do for people? Someone that might have a lineman's harness or something to climb up the tower and a higher appreciation for heights.

Antenna type and placement is different at each install location. Did you look up your location on http://www.tvfool.com/ to see what antenna and height is suggested to receive each channel in your area?

Usually satellite installers don't do pole work as dishes are rarely tower mounted. Did you try Craigslist for local techs, handyman or call local satellite shop. If they don't do it, maybe someone that they know???

The antenna used to work, a few months ago or so. It didn't work that great, but local channels came in from about 50 miles away, maybe further (would cut in and out a lot). But it kept getting progressively worse. I figured it was the ragged flat cable and now I think the amplifier may be bad as well. Now I only get a channel that's about 5 or 10 miles away. I rarely use the antenna, but the recent Raycom blackout on DirecTV has got me thinking about getting it fixed for a kind of backup plan

I might be just as well off to get a new antenna and mount it closer to the ground. Is a newer antenna 10 foot or so off the ground better than an older antenna 30 foot off the ground?

As far as professional install, I was really kind of asking if satellite installers might do the job off hours, I thought they might have the equipment or the straps to climb up there. I've got the coax to run, I can run it under the house to the TV, there's a ground wire already run. I was mainly asking if this is something satellite installers might do in their time off. I'll pay them, but not necessarily looking for anything professional. Would they have the equipment to do the job? Do any of you all have a small electronics outfit/satellite install business, is this something you do for people? Someone that might have a lineman's harness or something to climb up the tower and a higher appreciation for heights.
Most satellite installers specialize in satellite dish installations and only a few will have the knowledge to install TV antennas, besides that most are too busy making money with DISH or Directv installs. Even fewer are capable and insured for work on 40 ft. towers. Post your location and/or zip code and we will check your tvfool for you, without knowing where you are and what broadcasters are available it is hard to answer your questions. If possible include a photo of your tower and antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)