Antenna scans uhf channels but they will not come in

R

rusc

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 6, 2018
Columbia SC
Have a roof top antenna and it is hooked to tv with tuner. When we scan it shows it picked up 22 stations but when scan is over the only stations we get are the 1 vhf station. The antenna use to pick up all the stations.

comfortably_numb

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
Have a roof top antenna and it is hooked to tv with tuner. When we scan it shows it picked up 22 stations but when scan is over the only stations we get are the 1 vhf station. The antenna use to pick up all the stations.

Have you tried hooking it up to a different TV or tuner?

R

rusc

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 6, 2018
Columbia SC
No it is my in laws lake house. They only have 1 tv. I can take another tv when I go back.

Jim5506

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Lubbock, Texas
Possibly a broken wire or corroded connection somewhere.

Larry1

Larry1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 24, 2005
Port Hope, ON Canada
Does the TV have a signal strength meter while it is scanning? Just want to know if the signal strength is strong. Some very weak may detect a station, but not add it in. Do you have a computer (notebook) TV tuner you can try? Thinking something easy to move to try out there.

R

rusc

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 6, 2018
Columbia SC
When I do signal check it only show vhf channel. It’s like it is blocking the uhf. I’m going to take another tv next time and try it. Thanks for the ideas!

Reactions: comfortably_numb
harshness

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
When I do signal check it only show vhf channel. It’s like it is blocking the uhf.
Because analog cable channels in the VHF range are the same as analog OTA channels in the VHF range, that's why you see the VHF channels. UHF channels don't share this property.

As boba was getting at, you need to make sure that the signal type switch is set for OTA or AIR rather than CATV or CABLE. This may be a mechanical slide switch or a menu choice and the default has always been CATV.