Antenna Selection

ShyBoy

Original poster
May 8, 2006
I have been reading the posts here and realize that for selecting the antenna is the hardest part in order to get the OTA.

I recently moved here and very near from the Dulles Airport, zip code is 20152

On Antennaweb.org I got the nearest tower @ 12.7 miles away and the farest tower is 67 miles away.

I am not interested to catch all the channels, but whatever I can catch with one antenna.

I have tried. Newpoint Argo Indoor HDTV Antenna/Model: 208220, which only catches 2/3 HD Channels, so I thought that I should get more powerful antenna, and I will able to catch more. Then I returned that and bought
Terk Indoor Amplified HDTV Antenna Model: HDTVA
Which is even worst, I can get only 1/2 HD channels and getting another 8-10 channels but on a very bad reception.

I am also planning to return that one and thinking to get Terk Outdoor Amplified HDTV Antenna Model: HDTVO.

But then I thought to post the msg and here and see what experts say about it.

Please advice.

Thanks in advance. Appreciate your help.

OK- if you search on this, you'll find lot's of info.

That being said, here's my input, in a nutshell:
1. If you want an indoor antenna, go with the Silver Sensor.
2. If you want an outdoor antenna, go with Channel Master or Winegard, on the top end. The Channel Master Advantage series has too many tradeoffs, move up to the Crossfire series. One of the best Prostar antennas from Winegard is shipped by truck and the shipping costs a fortune. Look for a local provider or go with a smaller antenna that can go via UPS.
3. Radio Shack antennas aren't that good.
4. Terk is an old Indian word meaning good looking, over priced, under performing junk. High profit item for BB. Don't waste money on Terk.

You'll have to decide if you want both VHF & UHF. That will drive your options.

ShyBoy said:
I have been reading the posts here and realize that for selecting the antenna is the hardest part in order to get the OTA.

I recently moved here and very near from the Dulles Airport, zip code is 20152

On Antennaweb.org I got the nearest tower @ 12.7 miles away and the farest tower is 67 miles away.

I am not interested to catch all the channels, but whatever I can catch with one antenna.

I have tried. Newpoint Argo Indoor HDTV Antenna/Model: 208220, which only catches 2/3 HD Channels, so I thought that I should get more powerful antenna, and I will able to catch more. Then I returned that and bought
Terk Indoor Amplified HDTV Antenna Model: HDTVA
Which is even worst, I can get only 1/2 HD channels and getting another 8-10 channels but on a very bad reception.

I am also planning to return that one and thinking to get Terk Outdoor Amplified HDTV Antenna Model: HDTVO.

But then I thought to post the msg and here and see what experts say about it.

Please advice.

Thanks in advance. Appreciate your help.

According to antennaweb.org, it looks like most of the stations are grouped at or near 92 degrees, with a couple more at 105. All of the stations are UHF. I would go with a Channel Master 4228, pointed at about 100 degrees, which should pick up all of those stations, and maybe even the other two towards the south. Good luck!

It should be pretty easy for you once you get a real antenna. Either the 4228 or even the 4221 outdoor antennas should do the trick. Your pretty near the DC tower area and all the dgital networks are available there on UHF at full power. Your only difficuly might be breakups from low-flying airplanes depending on how close you are to Dulles airport.