Status
Please reply by conversation.

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
I am currently an NFL ST+SF and Premier sub, I was wondering if there was any possibly way to lower the monthly bill other than giving up the Premier package.
Is there some sort of deal?
I am paying about 133$ in bills (this includes 40$ credits 3 Friend referrals that are officially over now (this was the last month for that) and 10$ credit for AAA monthly for 10 months.
Next month my bill will be well over 170$ just for TV itself, well it be 230$ with U-Verse which I am going to cancel at the end of the week.

It be painful to say no to HBO/CineMax/Showtime.
But since the shows aren't on until next year such as (Tudors), should I go ahead and change up the package to choice extra?

Channels I like to watch are 101, HGTV, TNT, TBS, locals, also channels like G4TV, SpikeTV, USA, and few others.

I like to watch a lot of movies, and I am not sure if I should stay with the Premier package or just convert myself to Blockbuster.
Would that actually save me money?
The nearest BB from me is about 5+ miles away from me, they recently shut down the one near my house, which was about 7 blocks away.

Also, since we are on the same topic, I am going to cut down on cost on many things, canceling Charter Telephone, cancel AT&T U-Verse TV, and also no more ST for me after this year ( I say the same thing about ST every year, but never do it, but I am sure if prices keep going up...it be a 100% goodbye.)

The way economy is going, I have to save up as much as I can for the future....who wants to work past their 50's? not me.

All in all, TV is huge for me, I like to entertain a lot, and we do love to watch TV all the times, TV is being used in my house at least 5+ hours a day including everyone's watching time.

I'd appreciate some advices from you guys.

Short of playing the deal where you call to cancel and get some kind of deal, the prices are the prices.

IMHO,

Blockbuster - Video rental is a dying technology. DBS, and this is the one area where cable has an advantage, are replacing this with PPV on demand. That is why Blockbuster, Movie Gallery, etc, are closing stores. I was in a Staples yesterday and they now have the new "self-destructing" CDs (the CD sort of melts after a few days, which means they can just be put on an ordinary store shelf and sold by the already existing people in a general store, eliminating the need for a seperate video store with complex return accounting). Consider, however, that any movie on HBO, etc, will be on TBS, etc, eventually.

Telephone - Most people can get by with just a cell phone or a VOIP phone, or just an old fashioned POTS, depending on their lifestyle. Few people need more than one phone service. Consider a POTS with the kind of pricing plan designed for "poor" people.

ST - I have never understood ST, and I guess I never will. I do not live in an NFL market, so that means that I get three games every Sunday afternoon, plus the national games (night games, Thanksgiving, etc). That is, AT LEAST, five games (out of no more than 16) every week. And the three Sunday afternoon games are of the most interest to me, since they have been selected on that basis by the local statons. Why would I want to pay for more games which are on at exactly the same time? Especially with NASCAR, golf, and at least two other sports on other channels as well. I just don't get it. I can be happy with the "free" games I get, or I can go to any of many bars that have the service (and more than one TV). The other PPS packages I understand, with more games, at different times, but not ST.

Consider going to 2 premiums and rotate every few months, use that dvr? Should save some.

If you keep NFL, ask about he 11 month option, then you're paying for it all year.

I always ask "is there anything else you can do for me" when calling, just explain the bill is too high and see what they say. They are tighter than in the past, but surely you are a top end customer.

You could look into Netflix as an option. It's about $18.60 per month for 3 movies at a time. If you live close to a center that could be 5-6 movies per week.

ST - I have never understood ST, and I guess I never will.

reasons:

1 - watching your favorite team every week thats isnt in your home town.
2 - getting stuck watching the home town team when they are 3-8 instead of another good game that is then blacked out.
3 - not watching other games that u may have $$ on.
4 - having only 1 game to watch at either 1:00 or 4:15....ugg
5 - in ny because of giants & jets multiple sunday afternoons of only 2 games not 3.

You could look into Netflix as an option. It's about $18.60 per month for 3 movies at a time. If you live close to a center that could be 5-6 movies per week.

And for a one time 99.00 you could add a Netflix Roku box and tap a growing inventory of online stuff at no additional monthly charge. They are talking about offering HD by the end of the year as well as expanding the number of sources (Hulu has been mentioned). I've already cut back from DTV Premier and got rid of the movie packages and I really can't say I am missing them.

I am currently an NFL ST+SF and Premier sub, I was wondering if there was any possibly way to lower the monthly bill other than giving up the Premier package.
Is there some sort of deal?
I am paying about 133$ in bills (this includes 40$ credits 3 Friend referrals that are officially over now (this was the last month for that) and 10$ credit for AAA monthly for 10 months.
Next month my bill will be well over 170$ just for TV itself, well it be 230$ with U-Verse which I am going to cancel at the end of the week.

It be painful to say no to HBO/CineMax/Showtime.
But since the shows aren't on until next year such as (Tudors), should I go ahead and change up the package to choice extra?

Channels I like to watch are 101, HGTV, TNT, TBS, locals, also channels like G4TV, SpikeTV, USA, and few others.

I like to watch a lot of movies, and I am not sure if I should stay with the Premier package or just convert myself to Blockbuster.
Would that actually save me money?
The nearest BB from me is about 5+ miles away from me, they recently shut down the one near my house, which was about 7 blocks away.

Also, since we are on the same topic, I am going to cut down on cost on many things, canceling Charter Telephone, cancel AT&T U-Verse TV, and also no more ST for me after this year ( I say the same thing about ST every year, but never do it, but I am sure if prices keep going up...it be a 100% goodbye.)

The way economy is going, I have to save up as much as I can for the future....who wants to work past their 50's? not me.

All in all, TV is huge for me, I like to entertain a lot, and we do love to watch TV all the times, TV is being used in my house at least 5+ hours a day including everyone's watching time.

I'd appreciate some advices from you guys.

I would go with Jason's idea...
Drop to Total Choice + or what ever they are calling it these days.
Add on a few movie channels and rotate them as desired, check the listings and see whats coming on each movie channel ahead of time.
Do the ST monthly ....

Also, while your on the phone with them, tell them that you think the bill is getting out of hand and see if the will give you a discount.

Jimbo

I would get rid of premier and pick a movie package or two and rotate like has been suggested (or do away with the movie packages completely). You can supplement or replace them with netflix or something like Xbox live marketplace. They (xbox live) generally get the (or many) new releases not long after the stores do. I know I have used them alot.

That should help you save 20-30 bucks, depending on what you do with ST

I would get rid of premier and pick a movie package or two and rotate like has been suggested (or do away with the movie packages completely). You can supplement or replace them with netflix or something like Xbox live marketplace.

Actually, it would be cheaper to do the movie channel of choice, the movie channel cost 12-13, Netflix (if you want the most available movies) cost you $ 18 p/m.
The OP mentioned above that he really likes the movie channels.

Jimbo

Actually, it would be cheaper to do the movie channel of choice, the movie channel cost 12-13, Netflix (if you want the most available movies) cost you $ 18 p/m.
The OP mentioned above that he really likes the movie channels.

Jimbo
True, but one advantage is, you get what you want as far as individual movies. Both have advantages though. I chose the starz package as my premium movie choice. More channels, more choices, and more HD(in addition to marketplace)

Last edited:
When I asked, the AAA discount was ONLY for New Subs, unfortunately ....

Jimbo

It was 4+ months since I subbed, and I got the AAA deal as a current sub.
The catch is, they will increase your contract with directv by 12 months.

It was 4+ months since I subbed, and I got the AAA deal as a current sub.
The catch is, they will increase your contract with directv by 12 months.

Good for you :)

I've been with them to long for this promo then.
I wish they offered more stuff to save money to the existing subs, although they often offer decient deals on upgrading equipment.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)