Any BOSTON metro VOOMers?

Getting 56-1 tonight. May be atmospheric (cold) conditions or they went higher power.

Getting 2.1,2.2,2.3,4.1,5.1,7.1,12.1,12.2,12.3,44.1,44.2,44.3,56.1,56.2,66.1,75.1 and a few others last night and this morning. sweet. 75.1 seems to be the same as 56.1 ?? bug in samsung stb or real signal?

Rajh

What kind of antenna did you end up with for OTA. I'm up off of North Ave. and it doesn't seem like I would need much except for all the trees in my yard getting in the way. No way to get above them pointing east. Do you know what az / el your dish ended up being? The calculator says 181 / 40. I'M SCHEDULED FOR MON. PM INSTALL! What's the best signal strength I can expect here in MA.?

Have not noticed rain fade. The 75.1 issue is a WLVI PSIP problem, the actual mapping I think is 43 or a lower number than 56 (and too lazy to look up on www.antennaweb.org).

I have a pretty big roof mounter antenna that I have been using for years now. I never even tried the antenna that came with Voom. I recommend a large antenna with rotor and preamp. The reception I get with all stations, except 56.1, is good but not great. I sometimes have to fiddle with the rotor to lock in. I live over on Blackstone Street.

I used my old E* antenna. They did not have to move it. Not sure exactly where it is pointed (61.5?) but the elevation is pretty high.

owlbox said:
How is the rain fade situation for Voomers in eastern MA?

I am 7 miles from the towers and no buildings or too tall trees around my house. I have never had any problems with our locals. With D* I use silver sensor positioned right behind my TV. It almost doesn't matter which direction I point it to. The signal with the Voom provided roof antenna and the amplifier is about the same as with the silver sensor when doing A/B. I guess when you are that close it doesn't matter much what stick you use to get your digital channels.

Andrzej,
I meant rain fade on the satellite signal. I know the west coast guys have problems due to the low angle. How is it around here? I'm supposed to be installed on Mon. pm

Rajh,
If I put a preamp on my ant in the attick, I get so much signal that it swamps the front end of my analog receiver and many of the channels almost disappear. I don't think I can run a preamp here. Maybe the difference in height.

owlbox said:
Andrzej,
I meant rain fade on the satellite signal. I know the west coast guys have problems due to the low angle. How is it around here? I'm supposed to be installed on Mon. pm

Ok. We had some rain yesterday, the signal dropped a few points (to mid-upper 80s) but all channels were fine without pixelation etc.

Hello everybody great information, I live in falmouth (cape cod ) and scheduled for install on 4/6 i'm 60 miles away from towers in boston for ota i know that i need a better antenna with amp, than what voom supplies but i don't know what the boston stations broadcast in uhf or vhf, If it is in uhf i could get away with a much smaller antenna ( ch 4228 ) or ( winegaurd pr-8800) any info greatly apreaciated and happy vooming!!!!!!!

MIKE!!!!!

All the major stations near Boston are on uhf and very close together. The beam heading should be the same. Ch12 from RI is the only one I know on vhf but it's a dupe of ch4. I have the 8-bay and 7777 in my attic and it works great but I'm moving it outdoors because next winter the snow on the roof will be a killer. I'm being installed on 4/7 but I'm already getting OTA with a Samsung tuner.

Thanks for the reply , I thougt so called the install rep and explained that i would need better antenna because of my distance and they said that i would need a vhf/uhf antenna ( big !!!!!!!! ) i told them that i only needed a uhf antenna ( small !! ) to receive the boston channels they said that they would get back to me havn't heard from them yet ! PS how many miles are you away from tower?

Mike,
I'm between 20 and 25 miles out but lots of trees destroying line of site. I'd have to put the antenna up 70 feet or more to get clear of the trees. Current attic install is fine unless we get rain or snow. I love PBS HD and hopefully moving outdoors will give me a solid lock in most weather. The leaves coming out soon will also cause problems.

OTA channel 56-1 WLVIDT

Is ch56 digital still on the air? I get everything else but no longer get 56 on my Samy or Voom STB. :(

They are on and off the air, still in low power testing phase

rc

I was getting them solid in Mendon but haven't seen a signal in a long time now. Maybe I'm just checking at the wrong time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)