Any BOSTON metro VOOMers?

I really hope people don't keep requesting service calls for problems that are not caused by Voom. Even if Voom is at fault like the CH 5.11 problem, getting a tech from Install Inc or others is totally useless. We are just wasting Voom's money. I want to see Voom getting close to profitability so they don't go out of business.

VOOM & calls

VOOM insisted on a installer coming out to check - They did this even being told that Channel 7 said it was at their end. Could not convince them otherwise. They wanted to send a installer also around 3 months ago when I complained about 5.11 causing box freeze. A appointment was set up but I cancelled the night before. Not everyone that has Voom goes to the chat room anyways. Like Installer told me yesterday he had 3 calls to do on VOOM that day and not one was a install but to check system and redirect dish if need be or get replacement box. They also install E & D.

VOOMS position on adding your own STB's

I asked VOOM if I could buy STB's on eBay, since they are popping up all over the place like weeds for between $40 and $75, and, of course they said "nope, we won't activate them". That's kind of disappoint for me, I have done my own installs, run the wire, I even have a digitall satellite finder (like the good installers have), so I know what I am doing.. Here is the response:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Response (William M.) 02/25/2005 10:11 AM
Thank you for choosing VOOM - HDTV Delivered!

To secure the quality of the services we provide, we do not activate any VOOM receivers that are not purchased through an authorized VOOM retailer. This is to ensure our customers are getting the best quality equipment, as well as to prevent any unauthorized sales distribution of our equipment.

You can have a total of 6 receivers per dish. If you are wishing to add additional receivers we currently have a great promotion for our current subscribers that can save up to $298 towards your installation. Through February 28, 2005, when you commit to a 6 month contract for VOOM equipment rental and services, you may receive up to a 3 room installation for only $49! Each new receiver you order under this contract, and every receiver already installed in your home, will have a rental fee of only $5 a month per receiver. In addition, you will no longer be charged the $5 multi-connectivity fee which is normally attached to each additional receiver past the first.

In return for the discounted installation fee associated with our promotion, a 6 month contract agreement will be required, where you will need to maintain at least the basic VOOM programming package and one receiver in your home. The VOOM package is our lowest priced package, and you can always add to this package at a later date. There is also a $250 cancellation fee (early termination fee), if you cancel before the 6 month commitment. If you wish to add receivers please give us a call at 1-866-931-VOOM and we will be happy to assist you. Remember this promotion ends February 28th don't miss out.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us.

Thank you for choosing VOOM - the leader in High Definition programming!

Autumn H.
VOOM Email Support

Customer (MITCHELL) 02/24/2005 09:51 PM
What is VOOM's position on customers buying Set Top Boxes from other former customers from sources such as eBay? I have seen several Motorola DSR550's up for auction, and I was wondering if VOOM would allow me to add more boxes to my account... Would there be a montly charge? (I am paying a $5 lease fee on boxes provided by you), what would the limit be on my account for boxes? (I could chage the 4 way multiswitch out with an 8 way multiswitch, up to 8 boxes..)

Thanks, let me know VOOMs position,

Mitch
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone else think VOOM should loosen their position on this? It kind of makes buying a VOOM box ever worthless, because they will not activate it for another user, EVER. VOOM called me back about the CH 7-1 problem, so I asked about owning boxes... They said you could own boxes, but you would have to own them all because they cannot distinguish between leased and owned boxes, so if you now lease any STB's, and added your own, they would end up billing you for it, because their billing system cannot distinquish leased from owned on the same account. I suggested they improve the billing system so you could have some leased, and some owned boxes... The CSR said he would suggest it, we'll see.

Mitch

problem manual tuning around RF31-33 in So NH

I have been having a problem trying to tune in ME stations (i.e. antenna pointed NE). When I run through the manual tune, I seem to get stuck around RF31 or RF33 during the scan. Sometimes it gets through there and I get ~200 copies of a set of PAX stations (in Duram I think), other times the box just freezed up and I need to restart.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks.

Mark

Now I only get channel 7.1???

Magically channel 7.1 reappeared two nights ago. Unfortunately now all other OTA channels that I used to get (and I got about 23 of them) are all missing in action. Anyone else missing channels or is my problem unique? Thanks for any replies.

I also lost most of Boston channels at about 1:40AM Saturday. I do get CH7 and CH25. I also get all providence channels but lost CH2, 4, 5, 44, 38.

I don't think it is a Voom problem as I do not get these channels on my TV's HD tuner either. It may be a problem of the transmitters in Needham. No need to call Voom.

Needham towers up and running again

All local stations are ok again.

My guess is most of local stations (CH2,4,5,7,44) share the facility and towers in Needham. Does anyone know for sure?

Needham towers

There are 3 Towers in Needham, they are all shared. You can clearly see them driving on RT128 (I refuse to call it I95, since it isn't)

BTW, ALL of my local Digital stations are comming in just fine now...

Mitch

No change here - OTA channels still missing

Jeff_in_MA said:
All local stations are ok again.

I'm still hurting. I get nothing on any local channel except 7.1 right now (2:30 PM on 2/26). I can't get channel 25 which used to come in fine. I can't get any of the Providence channels either on which I was getting great reception. I have a rotor for my antenna and I've rotated the thing completely around a couple of times with no change.

I've done a local channel scan and it only comes up with 1 channel - 7.1. In the past it would hit on about 30 channels even though I wouldn't get any reception on about 7 or 8 of those.

Subdude

You must have a problem on your side since all local channels are working fine here. If you are close to transmitter towers, then you might want to try a small UHF antenna that sits on top of the TV in case there is a problem in your antenna/amplifier/coax. I can get all Boston channels using Silver Sensor UHF antenna that I got from Circuit City and I am about 20 miles west of Boston.

I believe my OTA problems are due to a malfunctioning powered stealth antenna. I'm going to have it checked out based on this hunch.

yea, that's what I think too. If you are close to the towers, then you can pull out the OTA coax in the back of the box and connect any small indoor UHF antenna, even a bow-tie antenna, and see if you can receive any more stations.

You can also check to see if the DC power supply that powers your stealth antenna is working.

Fall River, MA Installer?

Does anyone know who does the Voom Installations for Fall River, MA, a city about 40 miles South of Boston?
The reason I ask is that I had an installation scheduled for yesterday, MArch 10th? The installer, nor Installers, Inc. never called to notify me that they were unable to make it. I called Installers, Inc. and rescheduled my installation for this Tuesday.
Installers, Inc. wouldn't tell me who the local installer was, but did state that the local Installer would contact me before the installation.
I want to try and avoid the problems and wasted time again. Are the installers any good? Does anyone have any extra advice for the installation?
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Videomax said:
Does anyone know who does the Voom Installations for Fall River, MA, a city about 40 miles South of Boston?

I'm a bit north of you (on the South Shore) but my installer came from RI. My installer was Julius, a fantastic Romanian guy that I would highly recommend. He works for Installs Inc. He came to my house in the middle of a snow storm for my install in Dec of '03 but I sent him home because I didn't want him sliding off my roof. :) He came back a few days later. Sometimes there is a disconnect with Voom and their installers regarding scheduling. Make sure you call Installs Inc the day before your installation and request Julius if you can.

Did you Lose signal in snow storm?

I have lost signal since about 5PM today in heavy snow and it is still out at 8:30PM with signal strength at zero.

It happens almost every time in heavy snow with outage lasting all night. I always suspected that the dish/LNA gets covered with snow and ice and that's why I lose the signal rather than the attenuation of the signal through the snow.

I am curious to know if anyone else has lost the signal today and if so how long.

Jeff_in_MA said:
I am curious to know if anyone else has lost the signal today and if so how long.

No problem here today and it snowed all day. I lost signal once in a snow storm and that was when the wind switched around and came up out of the southeast for a time - caked the dish completely. You'd know if this was the case for you if you continue to receive OTA channels but nothing off the dish. You've done the forced reboot right?

yea, I tried re-booting. I was still out when I went to bed at about 2AM last night. When I turned it on this morning at about 9AM, it was working again. The temperature was about 35F so I think whatever was on the dish/LNB, it melted away. It could also be water expanding as it freezes and moving something, maybe.

When this terrible winter is finally over, I have to climb up the roof and see what's up.

I also keep loosing my picture the snow was caking the dish, but I cleaned it off and sprayed some silicon so none would stick and that solved it.

I wonder if there isa dish heating element available anywhere, but I wait till next winter since this one is almost over.

Anyone have a clue when Voom is going to remove 5-11? I hate it when it comes unhidden magically.

Univision will not go full power till late 2005 but before July 2006 just it time for WC2006.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts