Any BOSTON metro VOOMers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

telekol

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Considering adding VOOM, Like to know about boston area installs, OTA reception , any anything else you may feel I should know.

rc :D

telekol said:
Considering adding VOOM, Like to know about boston area installs, OTA reception , any anything else you may feel I should know.
I'm on the South Shore. Tim Rudolph is a bit closer to town and he's a moderator here so maybe he'll chime in. My install was done by Installs Inc., the installer was based out of Rhode Island. I don't know who you may get where you are but Installs did a fine job for me. There are plenty of resources in this forum worth looking over. Sean Mota has put together quite a bit of info in this thread which is invaluable http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=2052

I'm mapped for all of the Boston local channels, a couple out of Worcester and a few out of NH. I get the Boston locals clearly and the occasional Worcester channel but I don't pull in NH from where I'm located.

There's not much in the way of a down side to giving VOOM a try. The upside is spectacular HD and lots of it.

telekol said:

rc :D
I am in Dorchester and have been installed since December 19. OTA is great I get all the Boston Channels, but none of the NH ones that they have me map for. My install was done by installs inc, a guy out of NH. He knew what he was doing and I was up and running within 2 hrs.
If you like HDTV, I don't believe you will go wrong with giving VOOM a try, picture quality is great.

Benji

My Installs guy was great. Supervisor out of NH. I think we have been pretty lucky. (And now I guess we have a Boston Area thread to link :))

So it probably depends if you are in the south or north part of the state which installs office you get. I have info for the NH office if you have issues.

I do not get WLVI DT, but I don't get it on any of my other HTPC and other sat systems (or Comcast) because it's still low power.

Tim

Wow nice to see such a quick reponse guys, I am in malden, currently have E* pvr721 & 6000u/8vsb I Only get 7,38, 44-1234,and once and a great while 5...I think I will give VOOM a shot, with the current deal cant seem to loose...

And thanks to ALL who have posted to the many informative VOOM forums both the posative and negative information has been helpful.

rc

I live in Hudson, MA. I am thinking about VOOM, but still have to convince myself that I can live without a DVR for HD (already have a 921), and convince my wife that it is worth spending at least $40-$50 per month for more channels.

As to OTA HD, I get 2, 4, 5, 7, 25, 44 pretty much all the time in HD. 38 for some reason has problems. 56 is just too low power to get reliabily. I also get 50 from NH.

My antenna system is kind of weird. I have a Wineguard Square shooter with a UHF amp on the roof, and I have a regular Wineguard UHF/VHF antenna in the attic with a UHF/VHF amplifier on it. I just have the two outputs of the amplifiers joined together and fed into the 921.

I have wanted to get a good OTA HD receiver to see if the 921's OTA reception is causing the problems I am having since the signal level is pretty good on all the Digital channels, but cannot justify buying one just to return it.

Reedl

Unfortunately I ham handicapped now so I have to rely on the satelite guy to install the ots antenna. The last one here was a dish guy who left my terkk 44 on old dishh 500 antenna, but tossed out the diplexer because he said it would destroy the dishro setup...without any power it does almost nothing. I had to suffer with a radioshack indoor UHF antenna. So I am hoping whatever they wil install can replace the turk and bring in the whole local line up...Boston area only, as I am too far from NH or worcester.

rc

reedl said:
As to OTA HD, I get 2, 4, 5, 7, 25, 44 pretty much all the time in HD. 38 for some reason has problems. 56 is just too low power to get reliabily. I also get 50 from NH.
My list of locals:

2.1 - WGBHDT---------->OK
2.2 - WGBHDT2--------->OK
2.3 - WGBHDT3--------->No Reception
2.4 - WGBHDT4--------->No Reception
4.1 - WBZDT----------->OK
5.1 - WCVBDT---------->OK
5.2 - WCVBDT2--------->OK
7.1 - WHDHDT---------->OK
7.2 - WHDHDT2--------->No Reception
9,1 - WMUR------------>No Reception
11,1 - WENHD---------->No Reception
12.1 - WPRIDT---------->Listed by Voom, not actually mapped, No Reception
25.1 - WFXTDT---------->OK
38.1 - WSBKDT---------->Intermittent
44.1 - WGBXDT---------->OK
44.2 - WGBXDT2--------->OK
44.3 - WGBXDT3--------->OK
44.4 - WGBXDT4--------->OK
50,1 - WNDSD1---------->No Reception
52.1 - WLVID------------>No Reception
56.1 - WLVIDT----------->OK
60.1 - NEUD1------------>No Reception
66.1 - WUTFDT---------->No Reception

Here is the full list that is generated for my zipcode off of www.antennaweb.org. All of the ones with "DT" in their name are digital. Should we be asking Wilt to have all of these mapped or should we wait for channel scanning? There are several digital stations that I don't have mapped now that I look at the list again. For me there are a number of Providence stations which have FCC licenses pending or are about to come online. I've sorta' written off the chance of getting the NH stations - wouldn't need them if I could just pull in the Providence stations.

Call Sign Channel Net City State

WGBH 2 PBS BOSTON MA
WGBH-DT 2.1 PBS Boston MA
WGBH-DT 2.2 PBS Boston MA
WGBH-DT 2.3 PBS Boston MA
WGBH-DT 2.4 PBS Boston MA
WBZ 4 CBS BOSTON MA
WBZ-DT 4.1 CBS Boston MA
WCVB 5 ABC BOSTON MA
WCVB-DT 5.1 ABC Boston MA
WLNE 6 ABC NEW BEDFORD MA
WHDH 7 NBC BOSTON MA
WHDH-DT 7.1 NBC Boston MA
WMUR 9 ABC MANCHESTER NH
WJAR 10 NBC PROVIDENCE RI
WENH 11 PBS DURHAM NH
WPRI 12 CBS PROVIDENCE RI
WPRI-DT 12.1 CBS PROVIDENCE RI
WMFP-DT 18 SAH LAWRENCE MA
WSBE-DT 21 PBS Providence RI
WPXG 21 PAX CONCORD NH
WLWC-DT 22 UPN NEW BEDFORD MA
WFXZ-CA 24 BOX BOSTON MA
WFXT 25 FOX BOSTON MA
WFXT-DT 25.1 FOX Boston MA
WHDN-DT 26 IND BOSTON MA
WHPX 26 PAX NEW LONDON CT
WUNI 27 UNI WORCESTER MA
WLWC 28 UPN NEW BEDFORD MA
WBPX-DT 32 PAX BOSTON MA
WTMU-LP 32 TEL BOSTON MA
WSBE 36 PBS PROVIDENCE RI
WSBK 38 UPN BOSTON MA
WSBK-DT 38.1 UPN BOSTON MA
WGBX 44 PBS BOSTON MA
WGBX-DT 44.1 PBS Boston MA
WGBX-DT 44.2 PBS Boston MA
WGBX-DT 44.3 PBS Boston MA
WGBX-DT 44.4 PBS Boston MA
WWDP 46 SAH NORWELL MA
WYDN-DT 47 DAY WORCESTER MA
WYDN 48 DAY WORCESTER MA
WLNE-DT 49 ABC NEW BEDFORD MA
WNDS 50 IND DERRY NH
WJAR-DT 51.1 NBC PROVIDENCE RI
WWDP-DT 52.1 SAH NORWELL MA
WNAC-DT 54 FOX PROVIDENCE RI
W40BO 54 TEL BOSTON MA
WLVI 56 WB CAMBRIDGE MA
WLVI-DT 56.1 WB Cambridge MA
WDPX 58 PAX VINEYARD HAVEN MA
WNEU 60 TEL MERRIMACK NH
WMFP 62 SAH LAWRENCE MA
WNAC 64 FOX PROVIDENCE RI
WUTF 66 TFA MARLBOROUGH MA
WMPX-LP 67 PAX DENNIS MA
WBPX 68 PAX BOSTON MA
WPXQ 69 PAX BLOCK ISLAND RI

WGBH 2 only has -1 and -2 (although the have a -10) which is the radio station feed with TV video.

I have never seen a WHDHDT-2 at all, only a single channel 7 digital at all.

I think that it is wrong since it only has one feed for CH: 5 and two for 7. It is the other way around.

I am glad others are having problems with 38 also.

Reedl

reedl said:
I have never seen a WHDHDT-2 at all, only a single channel 7 digital at all.

I think that it is wrong since it only has one feed for CH: 5 and two for 7. It is the other way around.
Interesting. I get a channel 5.2 but it is always a weather map but has the audio for 5.1. I have never had reception on 7.2 but it is in my channel map.

You may want to call Installs Inc. to make sure they have someone available to do the installation in your area. I was suppose to have my two receivers swapped out last Saturday but no one showed up. I later found out that the only technician servicing my area (Mendon) quit. They are trying to replace him.

I get the same OTA stations listed by "subdue" with the exception of 12.1.

Bite the proverbial bullet

HD set arrives tomorrow. Think I'm going to call Voom and give it a try. I assume if they come out and find they don't have a dish mounting point with a clear path to the bird that there is no charge.

owlbox said:
HD set arrives tomorrow. Think I'm going to call Voom and give it a try. I assume if they come out and find they don't have a dish mounting point with a clear path to the bird that there is no charge.

That is true. There is no charge.

owlbox said:

Let me know how it works out for you. I spoke with Installs Inc. a few days ago and offered to install the replacement receivers myself. They said they would get back to me but never did.

I am located in Upton, and get pretty much what everyone else is listing (with the corrections). I doubt you'll pull in any of the Providence stations because the antennas are in a different direction than the Nedham towers, and UHF is "line of site".
Also, be aware that stations listed on antennaweb.org are not always up and transmitting yet.

Lob

lobstah

I didn't know there were lobstahs in Upton.... sweet!

I get 12.1 from RI solid now. Doesn't look like ch10 is on the air yet.
Mendon is very high up and UHF reception is generally solid. Analog tv's get snow free pics with no antenna connected on most channels. I'm going to play around with some omni antennas like a turnstyle and see what I can do, maybe with a mast mounted preamp. By the time I get through playing with this maybe Voom will call back and I can get scheduled for an install. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)