Any chance D* will pick up OLN HD? Possibly bad news for NHL fans...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mmarlo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Rumor is that ESPN will not match the deal Comcast signed with the NHL, meaning most nationally televised NHL games will be carried on OLN the next two seasons. The NHL wants games to be broadcast in HD, as part of their "re-launch" effort, and coincidentally OLN HD will be launched in October, when the NHL season begins. My concern is that Comcast will price D* out of being able to carry OLN HD, meaning D* fans won't be able to see NHL games in HD. No word yet on the Center Ice package; hopefully some games will be available in HD.

Is HDnet going to be able to carry any games this year? I always thought they did a great job with HD hockey.

Altitude Network in Denver (Nuggets & Avalanche) are broadcasting 40 Avs games in HD -- it's up to D* and such to pick up the package. If you want to see Avs games in HD -- email D* to tell them as I did, I figure if NYC picked up YES in HD, why can't we have the Avs in HD?

NVBlue said:
The NHL hurt themselves by not playing last year. I don't plan to renew my NHL subscription.
Bingo! I am boycotting the entire 2005-2006 season: no live games, no televised games, no playoffs, nothing...not even sportswear. I grew up in the Detroit area and I am a die-hard Wings fan, but the NHL will not see one dime of my money this season. !protest

CWS_kahuna said:
Is HDnet going to be able to carry any games this year? I always thought they did a great job with HD hockey.

I just read on a forum that HDNet plans to broadcast 2-3 games per week in HD. That's a good start. LA Times also doesn't think the ESPN deal is dead, since they probably want to keep Comcast from gaining any of their market share. I agree with posters in other forums that this is somewhat of a bad situation for NHL fans, since ESPN apparently doesn't reall care much about the NHL or promoting its "re-launch" -- it's all just about the business, and stifiling the competition.

BTW, as mentioned elsewhere, the Center Ice package is now available through DirecTV and will be offered at the Early Bird price ($129) through the 2nd week of the season. Now word yet on HD coverage.

Re.

The NHL is hurting for fans and publicity. They will not limit there content (SD or HD) to anyone. You can take that to the bank!

IMO, the cost of the NHL Center Ice this year should be free. Yes, I know what you're thinking. However, the NHL needs fan support not vice versa.

Why not offer the package this year for free to attract fans back, or anyone who currently has a subscription to a sports package (Sunday Ticket, NBA, etc). I don't see many people shelling out $129 for Center Ice, unless you're a die hard fan.

mmarlo said:
My concern is that Comcast will price D* out of being able to carry OLN HD, meaning D* fans won't be able to see NHL games in HD.

If that happens you can bet that it will be settled in-court. D* already has a lawsuit pending over a similar pricing ordeal regarding inHD. Comcast has to negotiate in good faith -- they can't charge D* much more than they'd charge another cable franchise (TimeWarner, for instance).

The NHL needs maximum exposure after the lockout. If the NHL allows Comcast and its politics to ignore significant numbers of fans, then they truly deserve bankruptcy for their stupidity.

jpn said:
If that happens you can bet that it will be settled in-court. D* already has a lawsuit pending over a similar pricing ordeal regarding inHD. Comcast has to negotiate in good faith -- they can't charge D* much more than they'd charge another cable franchise (TimeWarner, for instance).

The NHL needs maximum exposure after the lockout. If the NHL allows Comcast and its politics to ignore significant numbers of fans, then they truly deserve bankruptcy for their stupidity.

I agree with you, but I guess I'm a bit more pessimistic. There is already the problem of exposure with OLN vs. ESPN/ESPN2, since ESPN and ESPN2 are pretty much available to anyone with even basic cable or basic satellite subscriptions, while OLN is a bit more restricted -- not all cable companies currently carry it (though most of the major ones probably do), and I've seem some carping from Dish network people about it not being included in their package, though it is included in the basic D* programming package.

The possible problem of exposure with OLN HD vs ESPN HD/ESPN2 HD is even more pronounced. ESPN HD has been going for a while, and ESPN2 HD will be going within a month on D*. OLN HD isn't even scheduled for its launch until October, about the time the NHL season starts. And all the information I've been able to find on it calls it a "video on-demand" service. I have no idea how something like that, designed for cable systems, would translate for NHL broadcasts or for satellite TV.

This is especially problematic in my view since one of the points of emphasis of the NHL "re-launch" is the use of HD to help attract new fans, since the widescreen view really enhances the view of an NHL game and HD greatly improves the viewer's ability to follow the play. I think the NHL will do everything in its power to ensure that as many fans as possible have access to both the SD and HD broadcasts, but I wonder just how far they can reach. They've got a big job to do already if they want to get their possible audience on OLN up to the size of their possible audience of ESPN/ESPN2. It seems like an even more daunting task to get increased exposure on OLN HD. I don't see how they can put much pressure on D* to pick up OLN HD, especially if the broadcast fee is high or if D*, like ESPN, doesn't see much finanicial benefit in making a special effort to promote the NHL (or more precisely in this case, the HD broadcast of NHL games). I also wonder how much influence the NHL can exert on Comcast to make OLN HD available at a reasonable rate to D*.

There may be ongoing legal action by D* against inHD and I can imagine that they would pursue similar action if they think Comcast is illegally setting pricing for OLN HD. But this doesn't give me too much hope for games *this season* appearing in HD. How long have D* customers been waiting on TNT HD? The courts may settle things in the favor of D* customers, but you can bet that it will take a while.

At least we can get plenty of SD games through the Center Ice package and even some HDNet games. Now if we could only get the Fox Sports Net games on HD... I'd worry less about OLN HD.

Question,
Is there anyway to contact Gary Bettman ?
Maybe if people started complaining loudly to him about the lack of TV exposure we might get somewhere.
All we ever heard about when the lockout was going wastheir efforts to get the FANS back and that they would do whatever possible.

They also mentioned that the re-launch would include HD.

Bettman should contact thesat provivers and cable companies and make an arrangement that the NHL progamming packages CI, RSN's be broadcast FREE this year
Heck I was even thinking $ 50-75 bucks for theyear would be good, but it is begining to look like the NHL really don't care about getting thier game out to the masses.
They have to be broadcast on nationally know networks.
Most people will be saying I don't,can't get Comcast and WHERE is oln .....

OLN in HD, lets see ESPN2 has taken D* 9 months to get into thier system, still hasen't happened as I type this, scheduled to and actual channel on my TV are 2 different things.

OHN HD, on D* maybe by next season.
If OLD is owned by Comcast (I don't know), why should Comcast give the broadcast to D*, they could hold that up for a long time.

Just my opinion,
Jimbo

OLN in HD, lets see ESPN2 has taken D* 9 months to get into thier system, still hasen't happened as I type this, scheduled to and actual channel on my TV are 2 different things.

I've been saying the same thing. Announced, planned, scheduled, launched, etc. are completely different than I see it on my TV!!

I sent an e-mail to OLN and they replied that the games would be in HD. No word on carriage though.

projectorsrule said:
I sent an e-mail to OLN and they replied that the games would be in HD. No word on carriage though.

I wrote to nhl.com. Will post if/when I get a response.

I'm hearing rumors that the OLN HD NHL games will be carried on InHD for this year while next year they will be shown on their own HD channel. I've also heard rumors that OLN is working very hard with the NFL to get carriage for a late season 8 game per week NFL PPV package. I'm also hearing a little bit more about how this package will work and I'll explain below.

It seems that any network can bid for this package but only one will get it. Now whatever network gets it must allow both cable and satellite providers equal access to this package in writing before they will sign the contract. If the network attempts to keep the package from another provider the NFL can charge them money for lost viewers. Now when I say network I'm talking about a network as in OLN or ESPN not the networks such as CBS and ABC. So with this package any cable and satellite company can offer it to their customers. Blackout rules won't apply for these reasons below.

This package will have 8 games per week for the last 8 weeks of the regular season. I'm being told that different cable companies and even the same cable company in different areas can offer different games as long as they don't show more than 8 total games. So for example the benefit for this would be shown below.

Say if Bright House Networks in the Tampa Bay Area carries this package. Now say if our local Fox and CBS will show their normal three games each week. Well BHN can carry 8 extra games in this package (won't include the three network games) even if another BHN market does show our games. This will be the best part about this package in that the 8 games aren't set and can be picked market by market and cable system by cable system. Again whatever the games they decide to carry it can't exceed more than 8 games per week. I'm also hearing that OLN wants to get this package because they use this package as a little leverage to get their HD feed carried.

All I can say is that this will be interesting and also as a side note the NFL will also require the network that gets the package to provide the HD feeds for all the games available in HDTV. The NFL will also require OLN to require that the different cable providers offer the HD feeds that are provided by whatever network carries it. I'm also hearing that this package will cost 149.99 are around that park and will include any HDTV games available.

Also to note this package is nothing that D* can stop the NFL from doing because D* was told by the NFL that we the NFL want this option if we see fit and you as in D* will take it or forget about an exclusive deal. It also seems that the NFL wants to use this as a testbed for the future as well. I've also got wind that the NFL has an opt-out clause on the D* contract if D* dips below a certain amount of Sunday Ticket subs and/or if this cable package has a certain amount or more subs in its first year. I don't know what those numbers are but it seems this contract with D* did have some wiggle room for the NFL if they changed their minds. Now even the opt-out clause does still require the NFL to payout a certain amount of money back to D* but they still have the option of a much smaller payout if the above occurs as far as sub numbers.

I also wrote to D*...got this response:

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry, but we don't carry Outdoor Life Network HD right now. However, we often add programming based on customer requests, and I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV management.

Maybe if enough people make their opinions known something will happen...or am I in dreamland? :D

LonghornXP said:
I don't know what those numbers are but it seems this contract with D* did have some wiggle room for the NFL if they changed their minds. Now even the opt-out clause does still require the NFL to payout a certain amount of money back to D* but they still have the option of a much smaller payout if the above occurs as far as sub numbers.

The NFL deal with D* is not a revenue sharing deal, so I'm not sure why they would care. The cost to D* is set and the ink is dry.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts