Any chance more space added for RSN's on Wednesday??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It looks like the Rangers-Mariners is going to be SD tonight if the guide on Dish's website is to be believed. Who knows. We should all tweet and mention @dishnetwork every time we are forced to watch an SD broadcast. I dunno if that will put any perceivable pressure on Dish, but social media can be a powerful tool.

It's showing as being an HD game tonight and tomorrow night in my guide on 416 HD

Kinda late getting into the discussion here but I'm a new DNS tech and eligible for my "free"-ish Dish service. Currently I'm on Direct and I get my local RSN (Fox Sports Detroit) in HD. Can anyone confirm whether or not I will get it with Dish? Can't find any info that is concrete either way. I'd rather continue to pay for the service I have than switch and not have the ability to watch the Red Wings/Tigers/Pistons in HD.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kinda late getting into the discussion here but I'm a new DNS tech and eligible for my "free"-ish Dish service. Currently I'm on Direct and I get my local RSN (Fox Sports Detroit) in HD. Can anyone confirm whether or not I will get it with Dish? Can't find any info that is concrete either way. I'd rather continue to pay for the service I have than switch and not have the ability to watch the Red Wings/Tigers/Pistons in HD.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
maybe one or two games a week and no guarntee which one. " as all the Dish supporters say, if you want sports in HD, go with Direct tv". what a lame answer to a big problem that should not exist on a major provider.

larryf said:
maybe one or two games a week and no guarntee which one. " as all the Dish supporters say, if you want sports in HD, go with Direct tv". what a lame answer to a big problem that should not exist on a major provider.

Larry,

Unless you get his specific RSN and have experience with HD games on it, you can't possibly comment with any accuracy on how many games he can expect in HD. In my market it's a lot more than 1-2 a week. And I only say this to show that it varies from market to market.

Satnewb,

That being said, don't count on all games being in HD. If you can get Dish for cheap enough as an employee and HD games are a must, you might want to look into to dropping Direct down to the lowest package in which you can get the HD games you want and and Dish for the rest. Depending on pricing, that might be the cheapest option for you. Dish/local cable split might also work similarly.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yes, the comment about it being specific to your market is absolutely correct. In the San Francisco market it's very rare that a Giants game isn't in HD. It happens but it's very rare. We also get jipped once in awhile but fortunately, that's also pretty rare. Guess we're lucky compared to other markets.

Yes, the comment about it being specific to your market is absolutely correct. In the San Francisco market it's very rare that a Giants game isn't in HD. It happens but it's very rare. We also get jipped once in awhile but fortunately, that's also pretty rare. Guess we're lucky compared to other markets.

Smaller markets seem to get the hose more often.

just checked the guide for the coming week. of the next seven games for giants, 4 HD, 3SD. i guess you could call that very rare. i would call it unacceptible. also warriors 1HD 3SD. way to go Dish.

Larry,

Unless you get his specific RSN and have experience with HD games on it, you can't possibly comment with any accuracy on how many games he can expect in HD. In my market it's a lot more than 1-2 a week. And I only say this to show that it varies from market to market.

Satnewb,

That being said, don't count on all games being in HD. If you can get Dish for cheap enough as an employee and HD games are a must, you might want to look into to dropping Direct down to the lowest package in which you can get the HD games you want and and Dish for the rest. Depending on pricing, that might be the cheapest option for you. Dish/local cable split might also work similarly.

Yeah, we're in the Chicago market, and I'd say almost all games that weren't on WCIU were in HD for Cubs and Sox. Admittedly, we have an advantage w/WGN, though. About half of the Brewer games, some of the Royals games, and now this year some of the Cards games are in HD. I understand the inanity of it for other people, but personally, I'm happy.

just checked the guide for the coming week. of the next seven games for giants, 4 HD, 3SD. i guess you could call that very rare. i would call it unacceptible. also warriors 1HD 3SD. way to go Dish.

My response is based on whether the games are actually in HD or not. It's not based on what's in the guide several days before the games air. There weren't more than three or four Warrior games all year that weren't in HD. I call that pretty rare.

can't prove you right or wrong since i am not in your market, although the guide is pretty accurate where i live. just really know that if we get over 50% of ranger and maverick games in HD ,we are lucky. guess Dish screws some of us more than others. but in the end ,there is no reason that all games should not be in HD ,when they are on other providers and if DIsh has the bandwidth to do it half the time, they have the bandwidth to do it all the time.

FULL TIME HD RSN's

... guess Dish screws some of us more than others. but in the end ,there is no reason that all games should not be in HD ,when they are on other providers and if DIsh has the bandwidth to do it half the time, they have the bandwidth to do it all the time.
Agree on no reason that DISH should not give us all games in HD as they have the bandwidth. They need to turn off a PPV (perhaps on the Western arc) or two as a lot of HD subs have VOD movies with an internet connection. Half of the time vs. Full-time RSN's, big difference.

larryf said:
but in the end ,there is no reason that all games should not be in HD ,when they are on other providers and if DIsh has the bandwidth to do it half the time, they have the bandwidth to do it all the time.

That statement makes no sense. 1/2 time bandwidth is not the same as full-time bandwidth.

That's like saying if Dish has enough gas to drive a truck into town once a week they must have enough gas to do it twice a week.

The reality is that all RSNs share a set amount of bandwidth so when you're getting HD games someone else is not (that's why many west coast games are JIP). So to say "since some of the games can be shown in HD, they have the bandwidth to show them all in HD." is quite illogical. This will not change unless Dish finds a way to dedicate more bandwidth to RSNs. Given the constraints on WA, I'm not sure sacrificing future national HD growth for full time RSNs is in the company's best interests.

My biggest question is what the heck is Dish waiting for in converting WA to more efficient compression schemes to free up transponder space. It's been discussed on this board for years and Dish has made zero progress on the matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)