Any chance more space added for RSN's on Wednesday??

My beloved Rangers open the year against the Red Sox. Friday's game is on ESPN so I get to watch it in HD. Saturday and Sunday are on Fox Sports Southwest and you know what that means: Standard Def. Or more likely, I'll be listening on the radio. Ugh. I'm paying over $100/month to Dish and I can't even get HD baseball. That seems like a pretty basic thing to want for the amount of money I'm spending.
If Fox Sports Southwest is also broadcasting Friday's game there is a good chance it will be blacked out for you on ESPN....

More good news. Grrr. I don't know if they are or not. I just checked into MLB.tv and those games are all subject to local blackout. I was considering paying $20 for mlb.tv via my PS3 if they could get me hd baseball. SO...I'm hosed. On the bright side, I just got free tickets to the Rangers' April 22 game against KC. I need to make a sign. Something like: "THIS IS WAY BETTER THAN STANDARD DEF BASEBALL ON DISH NETWORK!" :-/

So what is the early termination fee for Dish? Is it prorated?

Weird. I just got a reply from the Dish twitter folks and they told me $10 per month remaining. I have 20 months left so they said it would be $200. That is a pretty big difference. I may have to suffer through this baseball season and then switch to DirecTV before next season. $80 is more palatable than $200. Of course, if the figure you gave is correct and the Dish folks are wrong, then who knows.

To their everlasting credit, the Dish customer service folks are pleasant to deal with. It isn't their fault that the executives make what are in my mind questionable programming decisions. Everyone should be clear that my ire is directed squarely at the executives who do not understand their customers.

Dish should be upfront and tell us when full-time HD RSNs will be available, or tell us that there are no plans to move in that direction. Dish should also tell us when HD distants will be available (which should be now, since they are uplinked), or tell us that there are no plans to make them available. More than not having the services, the problem is that Dish ignores the customer inquiries as to the status of these two issues.

That being said, Dish will not be upfront and tell us the answers. So the customer has a choice. Either accept the situation as is, or go to another provider.

Most of us don't even care about the Full-Time HD RSN stuff. Just want the games produced in HD to be shown in HD..... that's it.

Weird. I just got a reply from the Dish twitter folks and they told me $10 per month remaining. I have 20 months left so they said it would be $200. That is a pretty big difference. I may have to suffer through this baseball season and then switch to DirecTV before next season. $80 is more palatable than $200. Of course, if the figure you gave is correct and the Dish folks are wrong, then who knows.

To their everlasting credit, the Dish customer service folks are pleasant to deal with. It isn't their fault that the executives make what are in my mind questionable programming decisions. Everyone should be clear that my ire is directed squarely at the executives who do not understand their customers.
If u have a high speed Internet connection..u could take that same money and get the MLB package on a device such as a PS3 or ROKU

Most of us don't even care about the Full-Time HD RSN stuff. Just want the games produced in HD to be shown in HD..... that's it.

True enough. That would be good enough for me. I don't care about seeing some of the crap on Fox Sports SW in HD. It is pretty amateurish anyway. But games...THOSE need to be HD. I can understand not showing some "lesser" sports or the amateurish interview shows in HD to save bandwidth, but THE GREAT AMERICAN PASTIME? MLB? COME ON, DISH! That is just un-American.

If u have a high speed Internet connection..u could take that same money and get the MLB package on a device such as a PS3 or ROKU

Nope. I have a PS3 and looked into it. The "local" games are blacked out in your region. I was willing to spend the $20/month to get MLB in HD but I am blocked from doing that.

Actually, now that I re-read the stuff on mlb.tv it may not be blacked out all of the time. Ugh. It is confusing. Because I ordered MLB: The Show through Amazon i got a 30-day free trial of MLB.TV for the PS3. I've been waiting until the season starts to redeem it. I'll do that and check it out. If *most* of the games are available without being blacked out then it might be worth it. Has anyone on here ordered mlb.tv before?

Edit: No, it looks like it will be blacked out for every game. I'll start my free trial and see. But since all games are broadcast "locally" by Fox Sports SW (albeit in Standard Def), then they get priority and it appears that MLB.TV would be blacked out. CRAP!

Last edited:
Actually, now that I re-read the stuff on mlb.tv it may not be blacked out all of the time. Ugh. It is confusing. Because I ordered MLB: The Show through Amazon i got a 30-day free trial of MLB.TV for the PS3. I've been waiting until the season starts to redeem it. I'll do that and check it out. If *most* of the games are available without being blacked out then it might be worth it. Has anyone on here ordered mlb.tv before?
Ther are ways to disguise your location on the Internet

Ther are ways to disguise your location on the Internet

Sure...but I'd be surprised if proxy servers are particularly good for performance when trying to stream HD video. Besides...that gets away from the entire point: if Dish would do what they need to do, none of this would be necessary. :-/

larryf said:
come on scott ,where are you? what were those reasons?

Scott mentioned that the discussion was with a bunch of members so cost likely it was during Team Summit. If that's the case, don't expect to hear the reasons that Charlie gave because what is said in those sit downs does not leave the room (or there wouldn't be any other sit downs like that in the future).

Scott mentioned that the discussion was with a bunch of members so cost likely it was during Team Summit. If that's the case, don't expect to hear the reasons that Charlie gave because what is said in those sit downs does not leave the room (or there wouldn't be any other sit downs like that in the future).

evidently it left the room if scott was not there and yet he still knows about it. all i want to know is the reasoning behind not giving PAYING customers their games in hd when they are available and DISH promotes hd rsns on their site.

larryf said:
evidently it left the room if scott was not there and yet he still knows about it. all i want to know is the reasoning behind not giving PAYING customers their games in hd when they are available and DISH promotes hd rsns on their site.

Except that Scott has attended Team Summit and organized and attended these face to face talks in the past, so he was in the room. For as long as I've been a pub support, it has always been the policy here that the only way to find out what is discussed in those special events is to actually attend them in person.