Any chance of transfer dvr from directv to the hopper

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tw557

Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
Pa
I am on the edge of switching to dish from directv. I currently have a great directv setup with 4 full Dvr's in each room. I would be looking at the hooper and 3 Joey setup. Mostly for the lower rates for a year and also dish anywhere. I have a ton of saved dvr programs on the directv and hate to loose it all. Any chance it can be transferred from directv to dish. Thanks. Tim

No, can't transfer.
I haven't tried it with a DirectTV receiver or a newer Dish receiver, but a while back I was able to record shows off an older Dish receiver onto DVD. I just hooked up a DVD recorder to the RCA outputs on the receiver. It has to be done in realtime and it's only SD.. but if you don't want to lose them, that's an option.

If the DirecTV receiver has composite output, you can play programs into a DVD recorder to save them. You can also get a Hauppauge HDPVR to capture the component output if the DirecTV receiver has one. Black Magic makes an HDMI capture card for the HDMI output. All of these require manual recording of the DVR output.

I know there are ways to directly capture the transport stream files off a Dish receiver hard drive, but am not familiar with any such for DirecTV DVR's.