Any changes with HD PQ?

My impression is quality has actually gone down hill over last couple years. A few years ago the difference between my OTA locals and Dish Locals was very small and hard to notice. It is very obvious to me now.

Another reason for quality differences from state to state, is sub channels. Each sub channel chips away at the bandwidth of that assigned frequency. I don't have the exact number's so I will use made up one's. If ABC gets 100MB's and they have two channels 12-1 and 12-2. Now you are at 50 and 50. They can assign say 75 and 25 giving the most watched the most goodness. That's there call. But I think you get the point. Years ago there were no sub channels so what you saw was the best it had. Hope this helps. If you want real numbers I can get them if you want. Peace

Another reason for quality differences from state to state, is sub channels. Each sub channel chips away at the bandwidth of that assigned frequency. I don't have the exact number's so I will use made up one's. If ABC gets 100MB's and they have two channels 12-1 and 12-2. Now you are at 50 and 50. They can assign say 75 and 25 giving the most watched the most goodness. That's there call. But I think you get the point. Years ago there were no sub channels so what you saw was the best it had. Hope this helps. If you want real numbers I can get them if you want. Peace
Yes, sub channels play a part but it most cases the same signal set OTA is also sent to cable and sat providers so the signal bandwidth should be the same. I am basing my drop in PQ soley on the fact that years ago Dish locals were very close in quality to OTA locals. That is no longer the case with OTA being far superior to Dish locals especially for sports and anything with action/movement.

No, actually it was never 'much better'... Going back to 2004, its first season, it was being discussed on the AVS Website...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hd...ypd-blue-who-do-i-need-thank.html#post3402711

CSI was always primo....
That post mentioned color saturation, not sharpness or clarity.

I have been a member of AVS forum a long time and ran a search for "NCIS" + "Soft" and one post said the following. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/635013-ncis-hd-yes.html#post7223328
I noticed it was very soft last night. Really pretty horrible. Prior seasons it was always very sharp (with the color sort of strange).
See if you can't catch a rerun with Sasha Alexander in it. You will see what I'm talking about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)