Any experience with the Winegard AP8275 preamp?

WildeComputers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I'm looking to buy a new preamp to improve my signal with my Channel Master 4228 8-bay antenna. The Channel Master 7777 preamp (26dB UHF/23dB VHF) would be a slight improvement from my current preamp, but I was looking towards the Winegard AP8275 (29dB VHF/28dB UHF).

All my local HD channels aren't an issue. I'm looking for the HD channels 50+ miles away (mainly the Waterloo/Cedar Rapids, IA & LaCrosse, WI market). All HD channels I am after are UHF, but out of pure boredom, I scan for analog channels from time-to-time, so both a VHF/UHF preamp is what I am after.

Thoughts, suggestions? Another recommendation?

Lat: 43.57N
Long: 92.72W

A few dB gain difference in the pre-amp will make no difference for long distance reception. Low Noise Figure is what really matters. The Winegard unit you mention is a fine pre-amp but don't expect any improvement over the CM 7777.

WildeComputers said:
My understanding of noise figures is the lower the dB the better.

Correct.

Pay close attention to the way the pre-amp is connected to the antenna. Any screwups there have a much greater impact and can lower your effective noise figure. Keep the f connectors clean and sealed with silicone. If you use a balun be sure not to twist and distort the 300 Ohm twinlead. Keep the amplifier input cable short.

Also everyone should remember the noise figure will increase over time. Static impulses and other high-level signals will degrade performance long before the unit fails. Replace them every few years for peak performance if you really need the pre-amp for long distance reception.

I would NOT suggest any high gain preamp at you location. Your zip is about 16 miles from towers.

CM7777, AP8275, AP8700 all too much gain...You will get overload!

Try the winegard HDP269 preamp. 12dg gain, 3 db noise.

I am 19 miles from towers and could never use a high gain preamp. I use the HDP269 with great results and tossed the distribution amp and all the attenuators scattered about.

The high gain amps are for the BOONIES! To get

WKBT 8 CBS LA CROSSE WI 63° 82.0 8
WHLA 31 PBS LA CROSSE WI 77° 74.8 31

You will have to go higher 30' plus. There is nothing you can do about the curvature of the earth. Signal drops off quickly in UHF after 60 miles.

Last edited:
Rick0725 makes some good points.

If you have local transmitters that close you risk amplifier overload even when using a separate antenna. With a highly directive antenna such as the 4228 you may get lucky with some experimentation, but if the main lobe, back lobe or a strong side lobe is pointed towards those local towers or a local reflective surface the signals will saturate your pre-amp making it impossible to receive the more distant stations.

Regardless of the quality of the pre-amp UHF is normally limited to the radio horizon. On flat terrain with the antenna at 20 feet off the ground and the transmitter on a 1000 foot tower, the radio horizon is only 55 miles. No amount of amplification can overcome that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)