Any good or creative solutions for 3+ tuners?

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
I'm desperately waiting for the new XiP receivers and the "Whole House DVR" (i.e. 3+ tuners) but it looks like it won't be available for quite some time...

In the meantime, what are other people doing that need 3 or more tuners? (excluding OTA; I don't need/watch OTA)

The main problem that I have is that most of my recordings happen around 5:00pm - 10:00pm. During that time both tuners on my VIP 722k are recording and then my wife/babysitter can't watch live TV.

It seems like the _only_ solution is to add another HD DVR but that's expensive ($17/month) plus it requires switching the TV between HDMI inputs, etc.

Does anybody have any other solutions? Am I missing anything? :(

So you're saying no one in your home watches anything on ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC or The CW networks? Adding the OTA module would gain you two additional tuners for viewing/recording on the big nets while costing nothing per month. Otherwise, add a 211k with a $7 fee. And turn it into a DVR by paying a one-time fee of $40.

So you're saying no one in your home watches anything on ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC or The CW networks? Adding the OTA module would gain you two additional tuners for viewing/recording on the big nets while costing nothing per month. Otherwise, add a 211k with a $7 fee. And turn it into a DVR by paying a one-time fee of $40.
Or add a VIP612 DVR and add 2 tuners and recording capability for $10/mo.

I have problems with the upstairs DVR sometimes because I want to watch the news live and something wants to take the TV1 tuner. ( I know I could record the news, but I'm lazy. )

Most of the channels that are not on OTA ( locals ) repeat the new shows later that night. You could check and then switch channels. I will sometimes kill the current recording and then go into the daily schedule and "restore" the one that would have been skipped at midnight / 1 am ...etc.

This is also a reason that you should prioritize "local" channels over "network" channels. You gain recording capacity (time) that way. The DVR will go ahead and record the local channels at their regular time and then pick up the network rebroadcasts later that night.

Just a thought.

What's the difference between the 622 and 612?

I already have an extra VIP 622 but it's $16.95 per month extra to use it. If the 612 is only $10/month that's much better, but I would have to purchase a 612 and I'm not sure when (or if) I would even see the savings. :(

As for the OTA, I typically watch network programs (G4, GSN, History, Discovery, etc) and love documentaries and reality shows so that's why the OTA tuners don't see much usage at all.

Also, we like to leave on GSN 24/7 in my house because it's mindless entertainment and it's pretty safe even when the kids are around...

That's why I'd really like 3 tuners. Two for recording and one for live TV... (Why can't satellite support CableCARD [or some other standard] argh!)

well it looks like a second tuner might be the only option
of course if you could get an hdmi switch with remote to do the switching

or there is always changing providers

It seems like most of the non-network stuff is cast at least twice but if you've got a major news or weather jones this can be a problem (yes, there are people so hopelessly addicted to news and/or weather they record it). Then again, there are still people recording shows that have been in syndication for years as if they were all the rage at the water cooler. Can't miss an episode of WKRP or Charlie's Angels, you know.

The ViP211 is probably the best solution as it can be used primarily for live viewing which would seem to cover most of the issue without having to set up an EHD. Trust me: a babysitter will figure out how to change inputs on the TV in no time at all. The problem will be someone else trying to figure out how to change it back.

Then again, there are still people recording shows that have been in syndication for years as if they were all the rage at the water cooler.
Hey now! I resemble that remark. ;) (Currently on a kick to archive to DVD as many Match Game episodes as I can get...hilarious game show with many marquee guests)

That's my solution; one owned 722 and two leased 612s which I installed myself. 6 sat tuners and 3 OTA tuners. ;) I couldn't see my way clear to buy them outright, nor could we continue with only the 722 when I have 4 people in my household with disparate taste.

BTW - my wife is delighted with our health care provider (Kaiser Permanente) because they show HGTV apparently all the time in all waiting rooms on all floors!:rant: That network drives me crazy. I better get healthier, fast.

To a DIRT member. Is there any way I can exchange my leased 622 for a 612 to save the $7/mo? I have only and will forever run it in single mode.

I have a 722K and split my antenna lead to the DVR and the TV tuner. If I coincidentally have 4 things recording on the DVR, then I can switch to the TV tuner and watch a 5th thing "live" if needed.

Last edited:
I presume you are NOT in the Pacific Time Zone. For us, prime time on the sat networks is 5PM and this frees our tuners for Locals at 8PM. Solution: to move to a Pacific Time Zone city :).

Either the 211K or the 612 as suggested seems to be your best solution, assuming you want to record in HD.

Please be sure you have prioritized your timers for optimal opportunities for the DVR to catch subsequent airings of the premier episode or show. Always at least once more that same night 3 hours later, but often TWICE more that same night (now past midnight) and even in the morning or afternoon later that same week. You might consider a streaming box to supplement for the shows you may not be able to record. That may be the least expensive option for now until the XiP's come to market

And I do recall Clayton saying at the last quarterly that the new whole home DVR product was coming "next year."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)