Any help on how to buy the right receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elwood773

Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Montreal
I got a few questions. I have cable tv and high speed internet, but I want to go FTA mostly to see something else than local tv and improve my Spanish skills. I heard there's a many FTA Mexican and Latin American stations on the KU band (and on KU/C + C-Band, If I can manage to get them on a 90/1.2 dish) and on the birds available to North America. Obviously, the state houses / informercials / religious / prog loops stations nor the US/Canadian main networks (ABC, CBS, NBEC, FOX, CTV, CBC, Global...) nor the latest super uber mega ultra HD technology (unless if that's the new unique standard now) don't matter much to me. How important will be these .bin file. It is just for the card swapping pirates or it will be also important to me as well? I heard that Coolsat and Conaxsat receivers were awesome a few years ago, but their support tried up and nobody uses them anymore. Is that exact? While shopping for a new system, I guess blind scan and mpeg-2 are important, but what else should I watch for? If I go with a CaptiveWorks CW-600/700/800 receiver, it seems that's not a good idea, but why? Is it just because high-end receiver are better or there's really serious flaws or inconveniences? Any help would be appreciated.

Having just gone through that same process of buying my first FTA receiver, your question is kinda like, "What's the best car?" and the answer is, of course, "It depends."

Me - I do want HD, and I do want a rigorous blind scan - pick out your three or four "must have" things and read all the forums you can find until your eyeballs bleed. Rotsa ruck!.

Only factory BIN files will be of interest, and updating them is not always necessary. Usually, these files contain fixes for bugs in the receiver, and sometimes functional upgrades. FTA does not require updating firmware in order to continue to receive programming.

As for a receiver recommendation, if I would be buying a standard definition receiver at this time, I'd probably go with one of the GeoSatPro models from SatelliteAV.

I have had great luck with my SonicView SD receiver, the color is good, it is easy to use, does blind scan, and manul input of PID, to me that is important.
I have also been mostly happy with my Neusat HD receiver, but I wouldn't pay more then $100.00 shipped for one.
Terry

I have had great luck with my SonicView SD receiver, the color is good, it is easy to use, does blind scan, and manul input of PID, to me that is important.
I have also been mostly happy with my Neusat HD receiver, but I wouldn't pay more then $100.00 shipped for one.
Terry

true, that's one of the few issues with the Coolsat, it does not do manual input of PIDs, but there are ways around that. It also doesn't decode AC3 audio, does the Sonic view decode AC3?

I can enter PID on my Coolsat 6100. It's kinda hidden in the Channel editing menu.

I can add a channel manually with only having a transponder locked. It took me 2 years to find that function but it does work.

decode AC3

As a general rule, no SD receivers decode AC3.
Most have a coax or optical output, and you decode it in your amplifier or sound system.
The Sonic Voom * boxes for under $20 are the other popular way to decode.

And back to that general rule: all HD receivers decode AC3.

* Sonic Voom info:

Sonic Voom for decoding AC3:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/156406-besides-g18.html#post1607936
Cyberhome CH-SRD 600R for decoding AC3:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/163105-ac3-audio.html#post1684029
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/163105-ac3-audio.html#post1684137

yeah I use the sonic voom, but unfortunately when it comes to AC3 audio the Voom doesn't have much gain, even at max volume it still sounds quite low

I have a complete suround system, with the Sonicview if I had an AC3 channel I would just route it through that, the Neusat does decode AC3, opened up a couple of new channels for me.
Terry

Speaking of Neusat's, you can get a Neusat HD9000 for about $90 bucks, that's High Definiton with AC3 audio decoder and it down converts HD to SD also so you can watch the HD channels on a SD TV.

As all the other's said, you should consider your current equipment such as what type of TV you have, SD or HD and other entertainment equipment and find something that's compatible. Compatibility is the prime objective then you may consider upgrading your existing TV or other equipment if so desired. Technology is changing everyday and if you buy something of older technology you might be dissapointed in the long run.

If you have a HD TV then buy a HD receiver, simply said.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts