Any interesting offers from Adelphia??

Adelphia HD PQ better than VOOM?

I would just like to add that I compared the Wizzards games on ESPN HD last night and found Adelphia's PQ to be slightly better than VOOM an their new encoders. Offhand, they looked identical, but the devil is in the details...or lack thereof. Like I said, the looked identical until you studied the crowd: faces lacked shape and detail - the Adelphia picture has more depth and a 3-D effect. Similarly, you could make our more facial details (i.e. pores and blemishes) when they interviewed players and coaches.

The two other *common* channels were Starz and Showtime, but the source material was terrible so I didn't waste time trying to compare turds. Anyway, Adelphia is sending out 3 HD channels per QAM (38Mb/3) for about 12.66Mb per. I made these same comparisons back in September when I had both services and, at that time, found them to be identical. I could close my eyes and randomly change inputs and not be able to distinquish the source. However, last night I was 100% correct in my ability to identify VOOM and Adelphia. It took a few seconds and I had to study the details, but Adelphia PQ was indeed better. The devil is in the detail and there was no doubt that VOOM PQ has suffered with the addition of all these channels.

Also, I made some comparisons between the Digital cable channels and VOOM's SD channels. Although close, I would once again have to give the edge to Adelphia. Needless to say, their analog channels in the 1-99 range were pure crap and VOOM won hands down.

Anyway, I suppose it's a moot point at this point in time.

salsadancer7 said:
With all due respect DTV...GEEZ the vultures are circling at the smell of fresh kill!!! IN EVERY thread I have either read, posted or started....the D* or E* salesman are all over the place. It's almost like getting tons of calls from marketers at home......getting me dizzy!!!!

I understand your feelings, personally I hate telemarketers. My company has never partaken in any phone soliciting and never would.

But, I do think most members would welcome competitive multi-channel providers extending the best possible offers they can come up with.

Further, that's one of the best services a forum can serve, providing special opportunities for it's members.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
I understand your feelings, personally I hate telemarketers. My company has never partaken in any phone soliciting and never would.

But, I do think most members would welcome competitive multi-channel providers extending the best possible offers they can come up with.

Further, that's one of the best services a forum can serve, providing special opportunities for it's members.

-Robert

I agree. Like I said before, when direct comes up with something that can compete with cable in the HD arena, I'm there!!! :D I hope it's soon because I really really dislike adelphia. I am already dreading my install date this coming tuesday.

SpringsGuy said:
geese gutter you must live way up in the boonies.. Which town and whats the population like 300?? Haven't read a post where adelphia is offering anything less than 10 hd channels in every city they provide in...

It is Erie PA zip 16509. You can check it yourself. I used their website to check programming offered. I didn't call the local number but I would assume it is the same. And until 3 months ago, they didn't even have that.

salsadancer7 said:
With all due respect DTV...GEEZ the vultures are circling at the smell of fresh kill!!!
Only two companies (ValueElectronics.COM and DishStore.NET) are allowed to advertise in this forum, and only now since VOOM is no longer the exclusive sponsor of our VOOM forum. Both companies are official Gold Sponsors of SatelliteGuys and help keep it free for our 20,203 members. We appreciate their help and support! Of course we will make sure that discussion threads are not hijacked by advertisers, but we do not see any problem with them occasionally offering crazy deals to our forum members. ;)

I have been a DTV customer since 1997 or 98. The quality was amazing and monthly fee was reasonable. Enough so that I was willing to pay $200 for the dish/1st receiver and $100 per addl receiver. AND install it myself, because back then install was not free. Well, I just got my 61" HDTV for our new finished basement and began looking at my options. Apparently, my neighbors have had a really hard time getting OTA HD channels to come in well. We are in between Cincinnati and Dayton, OH and apparently just a little too far from either one. So I began to look at my options.

I've never dealt with Adelphia, only Time Warner cable, but I've found that Adelphia is my only choice at this house. Time Warner offered me a very good deal on their digital cable + HD DVR + 2 premium channels for 51.98/mo. They also will buy up to 2 pieces of DTV equipment for $50 each. Adelphia had no "dump the dish" deal to compare to and prices were more comparable to what I'd be paying for DTV + HD svc (~$70). Once they confirm that I'm in their service area, they can talk about deals apparently. From what I've heard from neighbors, Adelphia is pretty crappy.... Nowhere even close to Warner, which in the past wasn't even close to DTV for me.

But anyway, I am in this to get my locals in HD without using an antenna, so even at the same price as DTV, Adelphia wins. I was completely ready to stay with DTV and buy the HD Tivo, but when I realized that OTA wasn't going to work, that deal is no good. PLUS with the new mpeg4 satellites going up, DTV couldn't tell me if I'd have to upgrade my Tivo later or I could trade it for the new one or what..... They offered no information at all! With a $900 piece of equipment, that's quite a risk to take. Especially compared to $5/mo to rent the Adelphia HD DVR. And like others have mentioned, I'd have no contract, so I could jump to the best provider when someone else offers locals in HD. I am in a contract with DTV now for switching my programming level, so I'm going to get dinged for that when switching too, a reminder that contracts suck.... Especially considering I've been with them for about 7 years now!

Phil

Welcome aboard, habajaba!

It's all about TV: getting the best of it. It's great that there is a true competition between cable and satellite. Whoever offers the best service will get our money!

habajaba said:
From what I've heard from neighbors, Adelphia is pretty crappy.... Nowhere even close to Warner, which in the past wasn't even close to DTV for me.

We'll have to see how the Adelphia / Comcast / TW deal shakes out - maybe things will improve who knows. I've been an Adelphia customer for only a couple weeks and have no major complaints. I'm still going through withdrawal from Voom over Adelphia's lack of HD channels but then again I probably get a few more than the average guy out there (16 total). Adelphia, it has been said, is quite different around the country in terms of what it offers, its pricing and even its PQ. Some of the SD channels are horrible (such as Fox Soccer Channel) but I've never seen that station appear watchable on any system. All of the HD channels on Adelphia look pretty good - except maybe NFL NET which IMHO, is a worthless channel, mostly upconverts or SD, uninteresting content and I'm a football fan, too.

If Adelphia or its successor picks up the Voom21 then I'll stick with cable. I've got to get WorldSport HD back and whoever gets it will have my business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)