Any members from KY

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Reading that post about the unfair satellite taxes has touched on something I've wondered about--does that stupid Kentucky law also extend to FTA dishes? I lived up there 2yrs, but it was before they passed that dumb dish-tax. Sucks either way, I just wondered if the tax-hawks were going after anyone with an old primestar, or just the paying customers.
ps I thought I read not long ago that the US District Court, or the Supremes had already ruled that tax OK (or at least refused to hear an appeal about it)

Reading that post about the unfair satellite taxes has touched on something I've wondered about--does that stupid Kentucky law also extend to FTA dishes? I lived up there 2yrs, but it was before they passed that dumb dish-tax. Sucks either way, I just wondered if the tax-hawks were going after anyone with an old primestar, or just the paying customers.
ps I thought I read not long ago that the US District Court, or the Supremes had already ruled that tax OK (or at least refused to hear an appeal about it)

Before leaving the camping biz in 2002, my family had a C-band FTA that we didn't have to pay a monthly tax on, (unless we bought a monthly subscription service), and D*, which we did have to pay a monthly tax for programming. Don't know if the tax is still on, I'm on E* now, which is more popular in the neighborhood I live in, all I know is back in 1996, we was told it was a "rural access" thing, because of the limited access to a cable system, depending on where you lived. We had considered getting cable for the camp... until we was told it would cost over $2,000 just to get a line to our camp entrance from our nearest neighbor, about a mile away, so we had to use sat dishes.

I think the Tax is based on the Rent you are paying to your Satellite Provider/Cable Provider for the Service? Not on any Equipment you may or may not own. In theory, they could also charge Tax on the boxes (owned by provider) that people pay rent for? If they haven't started doing so already?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)