Any more details on 622 upgrade to own rebate?

I've owned an HD6000, 3/4900's and a 510, and when I sold them, I either broke even or actually made a little money on each receiver !

Now with the POS 921 :
$1,000 + $699 for the 622 - the big $200 rebate = $1,499 I have to invest in Dishnetwork just to be a customer and buy their programming !!! That doesn't even include the 3/522's I've bought which will be worth zilch at some point in the future . Thanks Charlie .

SaltiDawg said:
How much do you think it is worth? Have you ever sold a car that you had bought new? :)

Would you be offended if someone offered you $4,000 for a car that you bought new less than 2 years ago for $20,000 and is in mint condition ?????

I think they should offer an even swap for the 622 if you paid $1,000 for the 921 .

I don't think Dish owes 921 owners a free 622. That box has been out for 2.5 years and electronics do depreciate. But $200 is a low ball offer. $250 or $300 would be fairer. A $1000 computer purchased in late 2003 wouldn't be worth that much right now.

However I do think the people who purchased a 942 deserve a $350-$400 rebate deal. At least that would be a fair offer. The vast majority of 942s were less than 1 year old when the 622 was introduced (many less than 6 months old) and new activations of 942s were ceased (thus reducing the resale value of the box).

All in all, I think Dish is really screwing both 921 and 942 owners. And I'm very surprised that they have chosen to do this to what is arguably their highest level subscriber.

PS I don't own either a 921 or 942, so I'm not arguing my own situation.

Last edited:
Tom Bombadil said:
I don't think Dish owes 921 owners a free 622. That box has been out for 2.5 years and electronics do depreciate. But $200 is a low ball offer. $250 or $300 would be fairer. A $1000 computer purchased in late 2003 wouldn't be worth that much right now.

However I do think the people who purchased a 942 deserve a $350-$400 rebate deal. At least that would be a fair offer. The vast majority of 942s were less than 1 year old when the 622 was introduced (many less than 6 months old) and new activations of 942s were ceased (thus reducing the resale value of the box).

All in all, I think Dish is really screwing both 921 and 942 owners. And I'm very surprised that they have chosen to do this to what is arguably their highest level subscriber.

PS I don't own either a 921 or 942, so I'm not arguing my own situation.

Well just to be clear i have a 942. I got it in Nov. So yea i think 200$ is fair.

AJF said:
Would you be offended if someone offered you $4,000 for a car that you bought new less than 2 years ago for $20,000 and is in mint condition ?????

Offended? Of course not. Might not take the offer.

What do you think your car is worth one hour after you bought it for $20,000?:rolleyes:

SaltiDawg said:
Offended? Of course not. Might not take the offer.

What do you think your car is worth one hour after you bought it for $20,000?:rolleyes:

What is your point ? I haven't said that I expect $1,000 for a 921 that is 2 years old .
I think you're one of those people who have no real point to make, but just like to argue .

So if you're not happy with how you are being treated by a company that you pay money to, you just sit there and take it because if you say anything you consider it whining ?

If you go out to dinner and the food and service are terrible, you must just meekly pay the bill and walk out . I have a bridge for sale that you may be interested in . :)

Last edited:
AJF said:
So if you're not happy with how you are being treated by a company that you pay money to, you just sit there and take it because if you say anything you consider it whining ?
Of course I don't "sit there and take it." However, I certainly don't come to a forum and expect that somehow someone on the forum is going to to right the perceived wrong.

I can't wait to hear you when you realize that your 921 is worth even less than you thought because a new owner of a 921 will not be able to subscribe to HD programming. lol

I think very few people purchase any electronic device and expect it to be state-of-the-art in three years. If you're happy with your 921, continue to enjoy it. If you are not, see what Dish can do for you. And of course, another content provider may be an option.

You have a nice day.:D

There is a very important distinction to be made between the 921 and most other electronics : it is a single purpose box that can be used only for Dishnetwork . How many electronics that we own are worth zero after 3 years ?

To use your car analogy, imagine you buy that car for $20,000 and three years later, the manufacturer throws a switch so that that car becomes a useless paperweight . Then they say, well I'll give you $4,000 towards the purchase of one of our new cars . I guess you still wouldn't be offended ?

And, the reason for venting on this forum is because Dish does monitor this forum . There is nothing more annoying than when a troll interjects and tells us we're whining and that we should all be happy with whatever Dish offers us .

AJF said:

To use your car analogy, imagine you buy that car for $20,000 and three years later, the manufacturer throws a switch so that that car becomes a useless paperweight . Then they say, well I'll give you $4,000 towards the purchase of one of our new cars . I guess you still wouldn't be offended ? ...

Make that say eight years and the name of that car is a hybrid that needs a multi-thousand dollar battery replacement.

Again, if you have problems with Dish, call them - as often as you feel is required. The notion that repeated negative posts by you on this forum or any individual is going to be somehow "monitored" is laughable. Identifying technical difficulties that may manifest themselves in a forum like this may help Dish to come to recognize problems in need of correction in a more timely manner, but harping on how much money you spent for a receiver that is no longer "current" is tilting at windmills.

Ploink.

AJF said:
There is a very important distinction to be made between the 921 and most other electronics : it is a single purpose box that can be used only for Dishnetwork . How many electronics that we own are worth zero after 3 years ?

To use your car analogy, imagine you buy that car for $20,000 and three years later, the manufacturer throws a switch so that that car becomes a useless paperweight . Then they say, well I'll give you $4,000 towards the purchase of one of our new cars . I guess you still wouldn't be offended ?

Whenever someone can't defend a statement that they make they go off on a tangent; now you want to talk hybrids . Why don't you repond to my statement above ?

Do you own a 921 or 942 ?

More constructive posts from SaltiDawg :

SaltiDawg said:
2:38 AM posts are so informative about their poster.:rolleyes:
SaltiDawg said:
So we'll put you down for a "I don't know.":rolleyes:
SaltiDawg said:
Ah, another helpful 1:46 AM post.
:rolleyes:
SaltiDawg said:
Shucks, you’re just being obtuse. ...
SaltiDawg said:
Your mother must be proud. :D
SaltiDawg said:
I am sure that stating your opinion so directly will be a valuable to those of trying to learn.:rolleyes:
SaltiDawg said:
I sense that there is a lot "beyond you." ...
SaltiDawg said:
So you hang around this Forum for what purpose? :rolleyes:
SaltiDawg said:
Or you can read the hundreds of posts that new owners are posting.:rolleyes: ...

Sure looks like trolling to me . BTW, inserting a smiley at the end of such posts does not mask your condescending tone .

Here is the details directly from Echostar Escalations:

May 1, 2006 Owned Equipment Upgrade Campaign:

*BEGIN QUOTE*

The cost will be $798.00, which includes the installation of the DISH 1000.
($699.00 reciever plus $99.00 for installation)

You need this dish for orbital location 129.

All new HD content will be from this location.

Once the 921 is received a credit of $200.00 will be placed on the account and we provided 45 days after the 622 is activated on the account to return the 921.

The number to call after May 1st would be 1-888-825-2569, this will take you to an experience agent only taking 622 orders.

*END QUOTE*

Summary:
$798.00
---------
$598.00 total cost

So really you are paying $499.00 for the reciever. That isn't bad considering we paid $1000.00 for a box full of empty promises 2 years ago.

10 days and counting....

Last edited:
Doesn't look like a very good deal to me.

You pay $1000 to Company A two years ago for a poor product.

So now they offer you a functioning product for another $500.

So you end up paying $1500 for a product that many have purchased for $650. You have gotten two years of use out of the first product. So I would consider it a good deal if you think you got $850 of value out of your 921 over the last two years.

Sometimes this is a good deal. You can get $850 of value out of a product in two years. I tend to think that most 921 owners don't think they got that much out of their 921s.

And the rotten deal for the 942 remains. Someone who paid $700 for a 942 in November and got 6 months of use before they trade it in for $200 really got screwed, IMHO.

Tom Bombadil said:
Doesn't look like a very good deal to me.

You pay $1000 to Company A two years ago for a poor product.

So now they offer you a functioning product for another $500.

So you end up paying $1500 for a product that many have purchased for $650. You have gotten two years of use out of the first product. So I would consider it a good deal if you think you got $850 of value out of your 921 over the last two years.

Sometimes this is a good deal. You can get $850 of value out of a product in two years. I tend to think that most 921 owners don't think they got that much out of their 921s.

And the rotten deal for the 942 remains. Someone who paid $700 for a 942 in November and got 6 months of use before they trade it in for $200 really got
screwed, IMHO.

AMEN !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)