Any more details on 622 upgrade to own rebate?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Tom Bombadil said:
Doesn't look like a very good deal to me.
So I would consider it a good deal if you think you got $850 of value out of your 921 over the last two years.

Sometimes this is a good deal. You can get $850 of value out of a product in two years. I tend to think that most 921 owners don't think they got that much out of their 921s.

And the rotten deal for the 942 remains. Someone who paid $700 for a 942 in November and got 6 months of use before they trade it in for $200 really got screwed, IMHO.

Yeah, I also think that it is not a good deal yet.
So, now you have a choice: take this deal now or wait another 1-2 years or until you decide that you "got a value" out of 921.
I owned $700 model 6000, and it was enough for me - no mere ownership. I used 6000 for two years until Voom poped up. After Voom dissapeared I switched to a leased 942. So it is up to you to decide if you got a value or not out of 921. But I still beleive that you geot much more out of it then me out of 6000 with two HD channels (HBO & Showtime), then Discovery HD with $50 upgrade fee for a new card, then several more.
What I know for sure, I got a very good value out of my free Voom receivers while they last.

With this ownership option, will users still be required to sub to HD pack?

I am just curious if I would still have that flexability if I decided months down the road that I did not want it anymore.

Last I checked you could buy a 622 for 649.00 from most retailers so Dish is valuing their equipment at MSRP and ours at about 50 bucks, screw them. :mad:

Me thinks they made up a story about some good deal to own if you wait and wish to own, seems they are the only ones who got anything for us waiting, which is time for them to restock.

Guess folks are better off selling if they can to get whatever for their unit's and I'm assuming it will be far more than a stinking 50 bucks.

I'm not buying anymore of their junk, they can own it and I will just lease and let them front the upgrade cost in the future, heck the way they are making OTA a subscription must the new ones wont be worth much on resale anyway.

One wildcard in the subject current trade-to-own deal: What will the available programming/cost options be vs. activating a 622 purchased from a different source? Has anyone seen anything about that yet? Example - Will there be a $6 "access fee" for those purchasing from another source, but no such fee if the unit is purchased from E*, anything like that?

Different strokes for different folks. Tho' the stated 921/942 trade-in for an owned 622 seems like a rotten deal, I'll bet many will still take advantage of it. When the demand for that package falls off, E* will try something else. Not defending E* here, but can you blame them for offering such a deal under the current market/demand conditions...?

Mark_AR said:
Here is the details directly from Echostar Escalations:

March 1, 2006 Owned Equipment Upgrade Campaign:

*BEGIN QUOTE*

The cost will be $798.00, which includes the installation of the DISH 1000.
($699.00 reciever plus $99.00 for installation)

You need this dish for orbital location 129.

All new HD content will be from this location.

Once the 921 is received a credit of $200.00 will be placed on the account and we provided 45 days after the 622 is activated on the account to return the 921.

The number to call after May 1st would be 1-888-825-2569, this will take you to an experience agent only taking 622 orders.

*END QUOTE*

Summary:
$798.00
---------
$598.00 total cost

So really you are paying $499.00 for the reciever. That isn't bad considering we paid $1000.00 for a box full of empty promises 2 years ago.

10 days and counting....

Thanks for the info Mark.

This info raises a couple of questions.

I live in eastern PA and cannot use the 1000. I have a 500 for 110/119 and a 300 for 61.5. Do I still pay $798 or $698 since I don't need the installation of the 1000?

Can I buy the 622 from another source rather than directly from Dish, install it myself and still get the $200 credit?

I'm still looking to also upgrade an 811 to a 211 (owned).

Bob

PS. I assume you meant May 1 and not March 1.:D

Yep, we don't use the Dish 1000 here in the DC area and I already have my dishes, switches and cabling already support a 942...along with an already purchased an activated 622. Rolling a truck is a complete waste of [my] time and [my] money....along with another $50 not buying it from the DishStore for that matter.

I wonder if the "Special Number" can waive unnecessary installation.

AJF said:
Careful Tom, we don't want to sound like we're "whining" . :)

Since I don't own a 921 or 942, I feel I can whine away on this issue to my heart's content. I have no stake in the game.

I just don't like seeing my fellow subscribers getting ripped off by E*.

I don't know what information applies to east/west coast. Escalations just sent me information for my instance.

This may not be the case for your particular installation. I personally don't want a D1000. I'd rather put up a 3rd dish for 129.

I've already got a DP44 sitting here waiting for my 622.

Tom Bombadil said:
Since I don't own a 921 or 942, I feel I can whine away on this issue to my heart's content. I have no stake in the game.

I just don't like seeing my fellow subscribers getting ripped off by E*.

Thanks for the support :)

The 'new deal' is a 'no deal' for me. I was looking for something much better than that offer. If the new locals in HD in our area, San Francisco, are on 129 it is a lost deal. For the love of me, I can't understand why they are putting their premium service, High Definition channels, on an inferior satellite which can't perform 100% for all.

Now if they put our HD locals on 110/119 or even 148 AND knocked another $200 off the price, well then I MIGHT consider it. In the mean time I am getting the San Francisco locals including PBS in HD for $20/month via cable. (and no 18 month lease)

My E* experience has been good

I am sorry that many of you have received an unfair deal from E*. My story is different. Many of us who bought "DISH in a Box " paid $999.99 for a 921 and a HD34-310 HD Television. We all saved the cost of the TV , estimated to be $1,350. I bought 2 of these packages. So, I am already ahead of the game by $2,700. Another way to look at it is that I got 2 free 921s and saved $700 on the 2 TVs. Now they are offering me 2 better receivers for $598 less $400 rebate or net $198. For me its another bargain.
In addition when I called 6 months ago to add Voom HD, I was quoted $499 to install a DISH 1000 and the required DP44 switch( My locals are on 148 ). Now I get that included for the net $198. To be conservative, you can add another $400 to my savings. Since I already had 4 receivers 2SD and 2HD, my net added cost to rent the 2 622s is $2 per month( $6 for lease compared to $5 for extra receiver when owned ). I would have to keep each 622 for 498 months( $698 purchase less $200 trade) to break even on a purchase deal. My bet is I will change receivers many times prior to that time or simply not be around anymore.

odbrv said:
I am sorry that many of you have received an unfair deal from E*. My story is different. Many of us who bought "DISH in a Box " paid $999.99 for a 921 and a HD34-310 HD Television. We all saved the cost of the TV , estimated to be $1,350. I bought 2 of these packages. So, I am already ahead of the game by $2,700. Another way to look at it is that I got 2 free 921s and saved $700 on the 2 TVs. Now they are offering me 2 better receivers for $598 less $400 rebate or net $198. For me its another bargain.
In addition when I called 6 months ago to add Voom HD, I was quoted $499 to install a DISH 1000 and the required DP44 switch( My locals are on 148 ). Now I get that included for the net $198. To be conservative, you can add another $400 to my savings. Since I already had 4 receivers 2SD and 2HD, my net added cost to rent the 2 622s is $2 per month( $6 for lease compared to $5 for extra receiver when owned ). I would have to keep each 622 for 498 months( $698 purchase less $200 trade) to break even on a purchase deal. My bet is I will change receivers many times prior to that time or simply not be around anymore.

I'm unsure where you are getting your prices but what Mark posted was a fee of 798 total for each receiver with a 200 dollar rebate for each turned in receiver which equals 598 total cost for each 622 with installation.
You seem to indicate that you will be paying 198 total for each 622, at least that's how I am reading it.

Grandude said:
The 'new deal' is a 'no deal' for me. I was looking for something much better than that offer. If the new locals in HD in our area, San Francisco, are on 129 it is a lost deal. For the love of me, I can't understand why they are putting their premium service, High Definition channels, on an inferior satellite which can't perform 100% for all.

Now if they put our HD locals on 110/119 or even 148 AND knocked another $200 off the price, well then I MIGHT consider it. In the mean time I am getting the San Francisco locals including PBS in HD for $20/month via cable. (and no 18 month lease)
from this post http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=32421
San Fran HD locals will be moved to 110 this quarter.

gbjbany said:
from this post http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=32421
San Fran HD locals will be moved to 110 this quarter.
After looking at that thread a little closer, it does appear that they plan on putting our HD locals on 110. I surely hope this is correct and that the source of the info is truthful. I'm a bit of a skeptic about what I read on the forums and am waiting to see if it does come true.

If it does, then I would be able to upgrade without a 'professional' installation by some, less than adequate, installer like so many that have posted here.

I already have a dish500 for 110/119 and one for 148, which I may no longer need, along with a self installed DPP44 switch and two DB34 switches. If/when I decide to add or upgrade to a 622 I will be able to just plug it into all my existing cables. Since my 921 is now functioning quite well, I doubt that I would give it back to Dish for the paltry $200 they are now offering. It seems I would get more of my moneys worth to keep it, after spending $950, and replace one of my lesser units.

DucTape said:
I'm unsure where you are getting your prices but what Mark posted was a fee of 798 total for each receiver with a 200 dollar rebate for each turned in receiver which equals 598 total cost for each 622 with installation.
You seem to indicate that you will be paying 198 total for each 622, at least that's how I am reading it.

In my 2nd paragraph is where I talk about the buy option . Given your numbers I would break even at the end of 598 months( $798 purchase with install -$200 rebate). Lease is my better option.

odbrv said:
In my 2nd paragraph is where I talk about the buy option . Given your numbers I would break even at the end of 598 months( $798 purchase with install -$200 rebate). Lease is my better option.

I agree with you. The leasing option is better in my situation compared to this purchase "deal".

The purchase option is better when one subs to the HD Platinum level, where there is no DVR fee. So there would be no $6 lease or $5 DVR fee, and you have a sellable commodity.

Let's say one has a purchased 942. They sell it for $400 and buy a 622 for $650. They keep it for 24 months and sell it for $500. Their total cost for the 24 months of the 622 was $150.

Now if they traded in the 942 on a 622 lease, then they paid $99 plus 24 months of a $6 lease fee, for a total of $243.

At 36 months, it works out even more in favor of the purchase option.

However the difference between the two plans is rather small in comparison to what the total one is paying Dish. Someone opting for the lease plan and Platinum will be paying $3915 over 36 months. So if they would save $100 or so via the purchase option, it doesn't really make much difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)