Any more HD to come and when?

dnyce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Atlanta
I just want to know what HD channels are out there or will be out there for Voom to add in the next few months.

I know we don't have the HDNets and never will. And I believe the INHD's are cable only. As far as I know we have every other available HD channel. Is Voom so far ahead of it's time that we've hit a wall and we now have to wait on the rest of the world to catch up? Or are their more HD channels out their that I don't know about?

ESPN2 2005

Rumors abound about USA going HD later this year, I haven't heard a recent update on this one.

Channels I'd like to see go HD:

Sci Fi
USA
Comedy
Spike (they have tons of CBS replays that were HD)
TCM
IFC
AMC
OLN
Travel
ARTS
TLC
Disney
VH1
MTV

As I posted in that poll, I think the only working HD channels right now are INHD, HDNet, WEalth HD, and ESPN2HD launching in January. I know there are other channels but I've never heard of anyone carrying them or if they are just "content services" like Paramounts HD Movies, which basically just airs it's movies on UPN once a week.

Voom made 21 channels to build up HD content. Even DiscoveryHD Theatre gets some content from PBS. The main thing is HD content and HD equipment costs that keeps networks from producing more HD channels. I think BravoHD is going to improve their content with HD stuff from SciFI and USA.

I did not see the NFL network HD mentioned, I thought it was a channel set to go in HD soon. I suppose Spice was not mentioned either. What about adding PBS HD as well. NBATV HD, OUTDOOR CHANNEL HD, TBS HD - these 3 were taken from a list of available HD channels I found online elsewhere, I checked the website for the outdoor channel and there is no mention of any HD stuff but who knows, TBS seems to only have braves games at this time but maybe that will change since they have some decent shows thay can put in HD possibly.

I don't know why they're bothering with espn2hd. It's not like espnhd is overflowing with hd content lol.

Inhd would be nice, but right now, they need to concentrate on the dvr, mpeg4, and oh yeah, gimme food network to get the ladies off my back.

TBS HD is only available OTA, I never heard of Outdoor Channel HD, and isn't NBAHDTV a D* exclusive?

So it sounds like we have about 95% of the available HD channels. I am so glad Voom exists! It would suck only having 5 or 6 HD channels to look at. I don't even have Va Va Voom just Voom & Starz and I have more than enough HD content. I rarely search 'All HD' and don't see something I want to watch. And it will be even better with Kung Fu in HD :yes
If you have a HDTV what possible reason would you have for having D* or E* over Voom?? :confused:

dnyce said:
If you have a HDTV what possible reason would you have for having D* or E* over Voom?? :confused:
HDNET, what else? :p All I have with Dish is the HD Pack.

dnyce said:
1) Some people can't live without a DVR
2) Some people can't live without DirectTV NFL Sunday Ticket
2) Voom lacks some SD channles (like HGTV) and inHD, HDNet
4) Some people simply hate VOOM (perhaps because VOOM came with a $0 down upfront and more HD after they had invested a lot of money on other provider's hardware).

I know for a fact that Encore West movie channel is available in HD, right now. I don't know why we don't already have it here on Voom. I also know that WGN ran all there subcarriers off of there G5 channel 7 transponder for a digital channel. I don't know if it is HD or not or maybe both. I think perhaps we will see TBS HD or WGN HD pretty soon. For bragging rights if for no other reason. I also think we will see HBO2 in HD soon. Both HBO and Showtime have movie channels that are not currently on Voom. When the new satellite goes in service, I wouldn't be a bit surprized to see them appear along with a large list of SD channels currently not available on Voom. And last but certainly not least, we will start to see RSN's and RSN's in HD. Probably in the markets currently owned by Rainbow first, then other regionals will start to appear.

That's my point about the DVR thread, I think it's nice to have West Coast feeds when you don't have a recorder... if Voom's HD capacity is nearing the top of it's capability, why force on ENcore West? I'd rather have TBS HD, or WGN HD (for sports) or INHD 1/2 or HDNET anyday.

You know I think Voom thinks "well we already have the most HD it isn't working lets get SD, and DVR that's the ticket".. well yes, and no, it's "HD Content" people want (good content), not everyone likes the 21 exclusives, others love it, some like certain exclusive channels only. It's great that Voom has it, but it shouldn't preclude other HD content providers.

Once the DVR is released they should consider taking out 999 (run some more ad information on the guide screen like they do now if they want), take out moov, consider taking out repeat SD channels, and west coast feeds ONLY to replace them with other HD channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)