Directv to offer more HD

rang1995

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 30, 2003
Bergen co NJ
This is going to be a huge battle for Voom the customers will win but Voom will have to keep up

Tons of Local HD in DirecTV's Future, Thanks to New Birds
On Wednesday, DirecTV announced plans for the launch of four next-generation satellites the company said will help with the launch of thousands of local HD channels as well as more national high-def programming and capacity for new interactive and standard-definition content.

The first two satellites, Spaceway 1 and Spaceway 2, will launch in 2005 and will deliver programming to consumers by the middle of the year. The Ka-Band satellites will have capacity for more than 500 local HD channels, the company said.

DirecTV said with the satellites it will have the ability to bring local HD programming to most of the U.S. population as well as help with the continuing expansion of local TV in standard-definition and other enhancements. The satellites were recently converted to allow for the offering of both video and broadband Internet, DirecTV said.

SpaceWay was initially designed as a broadband offering for enterprise users.

Two other Ka-Band satellites, DirecTV 10 and DirecTV 11, will launch in early 2007, the company said. These satellites will have capacity for more than 1,000 additional local HD channels, more than 150 national HD channels, and other new programming offerings.

DirecTV said consumers will receive the expanded services as well as existing programming with a single dish.

"We have led the TV industry in choice, quality and service and we are now positioned to lead the industry in bringing new advanced television programming to consumers nationwide," said Chase Carey, president and CEO of the DirecTV Group. "Only DirecTV, not cable or other competitors, will have the capability to bring hundreds of high-definition channels and other enhancements to consumers across the entire country with the consistency, reliability and quality that they demand and deserve."

Boeing is building the satellites. Spaceway 1 and Spaceway 2 are nearing completion, DirecTV said. Boeing is constructing a third Spaceway satellite, and will also build a satellite that will serve as a ground spare.

Back to Top | Write

Hope Voom makes a move before Direct starts molding their company into the next HD giant. But either way the customer will win and one of the satellite company's will unfortunately loose the HD war.

Basically DirectTV is just allowing you to watch Local's in HD....hmmm only people that might help are those to far away and not willing to put up a big enough antenna to capture it over the air.

I don't see that as that big of a deal though I'm sure others probably do.

Vreesar said:
Basically DirectTV is just allowing you to watch Local's in HD....hmmm only people that might help are those to far away and not willing to put up a big enough antenna to capture it over the air.

I did not either,but D* and E* really got big when they added SD locals.

It is a pretty big deal. Even now that I have my antenna working, it's still only good like 90 - 95% of the time. When that 5% ends up costing me a Bears game or the World Series or something important, it's going to irk me.

I'll move to DirecTV as soon as they release a networked DVR solution. That's the only thing that can keep me with VOOM, assuming they get around to adding Comcast Sports Chicago.

Vreesar said:

I guess you missed the "more than 150 national HD channels" part.

Basically, they'll be able to carry every HD channel that could conceivably be available in the next few years.

barth2k said:
I guess you missed the "more than 150 national HD channels" part.

Basically, they'll be able to carry every HD channel that could conceivably be available in the next few years.

And that will probably still be before Voom even gets a DVR :smug

"In 2007...1,000 additional local HD channels, more than 150 national HD channels"

That's two years away! The way technology evolutionizes these days lots of things can happen in two years.

Odys said:
And that will probably still be before Voom even gets a DVR :smug

2007... are you willing to wait that long for HD national channels. Are you kidding me? I can guarantee you one thing VOOM's DVR will be out way before that! :)

I wonder if they will quit compressing their HD to death with the new bandwidth or continue on like they did with SD and crunch it till it's a piece of crap. One of these days a provider will go for quality over quantity (I hope).

According to the press release some markets will be getting them in the middle to end of 2005. For me that is very significant. As I am in the Philly DMA, but I am to far away to receive any OTA HD with any antennae. The only reason I keep Comcast right now is for the HD locals. Having them on D* would allow me to dump Comcast and makes it worth buying a HDTivo. Its alot easier to convince the wife that we need to drop $1000 for the Tivo when it can record all the network shows she watches in HD vs the few HD channels D* has now.

Well In all honesty it is not too big of deal for 2005, in 2006 however, it will be a VERY BIG DEAL. Many people even in metro areas are unable to receive all their DTV signals due to obstructions. Since it is digital (like satellite) it does require a direct line of sight. In 2006 a very large portion of the analog UHF/VHF will be shut down as the migration to DTV becomes imminent.

I think one thing folks are forgetting is Dish will do this also ... but I am sure they plan to phase the markets and offer DTV as opposed to HDTV, I'll bet this is what D* does most of the time themselves becuase it makes sense. A 480p DTV transmission does not consume anymore bandwidth than the current analog signals, hardware will be made to compensate. Certianly we do not think the FCC would make the 4:3 non-HDTV unable to receive OTA, everyone will have a STB.

Either way it is good for consumers

Well I know if DirecTV would just subsidize the HD Tivo for new subscribers I'd probably switch over in a heartbeat. I'd have no problem signing a 2 year contract if they'd cut me a deal on the HD equipment.

rang1995 said:
This is going to be a huge battle for Voom the customers will win but Voom will have to keep up
But the battle couldn't start until D* gets the weapons in place ;). 2007? Also, besides V* the battle will include the cable companies and I'm sure that E* wouldn't stay behind. Hopefully, at the end, we're gonna be the winners with tons of HDTV channels at low prices.

Sean Mota said:
"In 2007...1,000 additional local HD channels, more than 150 national HD channels"

That's two years away! The way technology evolutionizes these days lots of things can happen in two years.
It's actually more like three years, since D* is not expecting to have this ready until mid 2007, or perhaps even late 2007. Compared to VOOM capable of bringing 116 HD channels next year...

Only way I could see this as a benefit if all the HD networks were sent to your home in 19.5mbps HD... I don't see this happening either, I'll keep my OTA thanks. Now if D* added 10-20 more HD national channels... hmmmm.....

Voom needs to fix their current problems before trying to expand their channel lineup....

Dvlos said:
Only way I could see this as a benefit if all the HD networks were sent to your home in 19.5mbps HD... I don't see this happening either, I'll keep my OTA thanks. Now if D* added 10-20 more HD national channels... hmmmm.....

10-20 more national HD?? TRY 150!!!

DirecTV channels $1 bil HD plan

By Paul Bond
In an early move to corner the high-definition television market in the United States, DirecTV said Wednesday that it will spend more than $1 billion to launch four satellites with the capacity to eventually offer every home in America more than 1,500 local and 150 national HD channels. :yes

The point is the 150 HD channels is not going to happen next week. It will take until 2007. In the meantime there are alternatives that will offer the most HD until them.

So, should I quit Voom and start salivating over D* announcement till 2007 (or longer) or should I continue enjoying my HD experience on Voom? ;)