Voom's free switchover offer to Dish far from free...

Guys....By the end of the day I will post a thread on Voom news and developements as to how to keep your voom dish be able to use it with DN so you don't have to worry about buying another dish. Included in this thread will be what to tell the installer when they come to your house.

AS A NEW CUSTOMER YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP WITH AT 60 AT LEAST TO GET THE HD PACKAGE AND INSTALLATION DEAL.

Sorry that is just the way it is.

AxE said:
AS A NEW CUSTOMER YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP WITH AT 60 AT LEAST TO GET THE HD PACKAGE AND INSTALLATION DEAL.

Sorry that is just the way it is.
I was with you right up until "AND INSTALLATION DEAL". Does this mean I can pass on any installation deal (pay full price for installation) and get the HD Package without the AT 60? Sorry if I'm bugging you, but I'm having an unbelievably hard time getting answers that don't conflict with each other (even when talking to actual Dish employees). Thanks for your help.

If I do have to sub to the AT60, for how long do I have to keep it before I can downgrade to what I actually want?

you don't necessarily have to sign up with a 1 year commitment, but some retailers may require it. But with the to 60 and the hd package, you are still paying less than you were with VOOM....it would only be $47/mo. plus $5 for any additional receivers. but I would definitely ask your retailer if they require a 1 year commitment with them. If they say yes then you have to keep the top 60 for 1 year before you can take it off. As far as the installation deal....you would probably be paying more as far as labor rates than you would for a year of AT60 programming with the HD pack....lol. For example our labor rate is the cheapest in town at $75 for the first 1/2 hour and $50 for each hour after that.

Okay, my ordeal is just about over. Instead of waiting until tomorrow and contacting local retailers, I dove into a game of CSR Roullette.

I now have an install pending for Saturday for just the HD Pak, which includes the Voom channels. My monthly bill will be $19.99. I'm paying $450 out of pocket up front for the install and an 811 receiver -- yes I know I could've got it cheaper secondhand or on ebay or whatnot. But frankly I was just happy to find another csr who didn't say I had to get a base pack to be able to get the HD Pak that I just went ahead and did it. Had I held off, I probably would have saved about $111 in up front costs (figuring a 811 at about $200 + 119 for the install = $339, vs the $450 the same stuff is gonna cost me now). I'll consider the $111 difference the price I pay to be done with all this hand-wringing.

Now, please....I haven't done the math on any of the other deals that include the AT60 and this that and the other, and I don't plan to....so please don't do the math for me and point out how much more I could've saved by doing it this was or the other way. I'll concede that there are much better deals out there and you're all much wiser than I and have oodles of excess financial savvy. But I'm happy with this and that's what's important, right?

Come Saturday I'll have my HD channels, and only my HD channels, and I'll have a bill come each month for a mere $19.99. I like that. :D

As always, thanks for the help guys. Turns out you were right, DarrelP. :D

Hey Timm, I'll be eager to hear how the Dish HD only install goes. I'm in a similar situation. I already get SD's via cable cheap, and just want the HD's available. The upfront $ looks steep, but 20$/month over time looks like a good deal. Did your CSR say anything about V21 when it comes? Will all the HD's be available at 61.5? Good luck!

Well I am glad you got what you wanted, and for just getting the HD package that price sounds just about right. A retailer or sub contractor will be doing your install and they only get re-imbursement on the equipment if there is a regular package (AT60 or higher) involved.

timjf said:
Hey Timm, I'll be eager to hear how the Dish HD only install goes. I'm in a similar situation. I already get SD's via cable cheap, and just want the HD's available. The upfront $ looks steep, but 20$/month over time looks like a good deal. Did your CSR say anything about V21 when it comes? Will all the HD's be available at 61.5? Good luck!
I'm sure I'll post about the install Saturday -- it's scheduled for "morning", which was defined as "they arrive between 8 & 12, although the installation may run longer". The upfront IS steep, but I have it and would rather pay a bunch now for the pleasure of only being on the hook for twenty bucks a month. It was also a bit of a relief that AxE says the price sounds about right. When I started asking about the V21 and the switch to mpeg4 and such, I got the feeling the CSR was just telling me what she thought I wanted to hear -- "oh sure, they'll all be coming soon and we'll just add them on to your HD pack, and of course all the receivers will be mpeg4 compatible, that's what's taking so long". Right. :rolleyes: If you can't find my post on Saturday, feel free to PM me.

Hey guys, I was a voomer that had Dish installed 2 weeks ago and when I found out that they wanted $100 for the second dish to recieve the voom channels I remembered this thread. Free 2nd dish Called, I'm getting the second dish for my 3 missing locals for free. Guess where I'm gonna tell the installer to point it??? 61.5 I already had them upgrade my programing with the Voom for the $5/mo. extra. So now when I have the 2nd dish installed I'll be ready to go. Give it a try!

Ok I can you guys fill me in on the mpeg4, is it that much better than the 942??

oh...my....effing.....god!

I'm out.

No Dish for me.

After reading though some more of these threads and some PM's, it became obvious they screwed something up -- she had assured me I would only need one dish. I called to see how that could be possible, hoping to save a need for a return install trip -- and was told if I wanted ALL the HD channels (you know, the ones I'd be PAYING FOR!) I'd need a second dish and it would cost an additional hundred bucks. WHAT?! :what

They insisted (and I was talking to a supervisor at this point) that I had only ordered the Voom channels, despite their own admission that all the HD channels are part of the same pack and can no longer be split up! Huh? At some point he offered to "split the difference" with me, and only charge me fifty bucks for their screwup. So their helmet-wearing mouth-breathing uber-tard screws up my order (in a way that makes no sense whatsoever) and it's gonna cost me fifty bucks?!? Suck it, Dish.

Now, I'm considering going the used receiver route to see if I can shave the hundred bucks off that end and get the total upfront back down to $450 -- can't see me paying a penny more on principle. And quite honestly, I'm not sure I want to deal with these short-bus-riding sitting-in-their-own-feces morons at all anymore.

And I'll betcha I'm no longer considered a "new" customer. :rolleyes: Feeble-minded imbeciles.

There is no mpeg4 yet.

It is a compression technology, and dish should start deploying later this year.

The 942, is an HD dish DVR receiver, which btw will need to be changed once mpeg4 starts to roll out.

Hope this helps.

Timm, you just need to tell them what you want and what your willing to pay.
I was on the phone for a good 30 minutes until I got a halfway decent order..
2 free reg dvr's
second dish free
free hd for 6 months
Voom hd for 5.00
1 hd receiver, 2 reg receivers
180 sd channels for 19.95 for 3 months
waved the connection fee
waved the start up fee
NO UP FRONT MONEY AT ALL.
I just told them that I know they can give me that deal because I knew someone else who got it from them....
That refferral code was rocking, thanks to the guys in that late night chat.
saved me 5o bucks....

It pays to be pretty....lol

Hey...I called Dish and had no problem. I read them the news release for sunday. I am getting the 180 for 3 months for $19.99 and the HD pack for free for 6 months. That is better than AXE quoted in his original post. they will give you exactly what the release said. the only hook is the second dish at 61.5. You need that. If your locals happen to be on it, even that dish and install is free. If not, it is $100 or do was was suggested to convert your VOOM dish. I am not mechanical anymore. But you have to know the terms of the deal before you call and let the CSR know that you know. Makes a big difference. I spoke to my local DISH retailer and we was going to really take me to the cleaners with some very high pressure tactics that I didn't appreciate. I know not all dealers are like that but many are. This site has been full of good information that you can use to make sure your not taken. If what you are told doesn't add up, talk to a supervisor. I even propsed signing a 2 year contact if they would waive the install fee for the second dish. It didn't work. perhaps if I pressed harder it may have, but on the whole, I am happy I got the deal that was published on Friday. (plus the $100 for the additional dish)

AxE said:
VOOMSTER I AM SORRY YOU WERE MISLEAD!!

There is no such thing as charging you $200 for another dish...that $200 is for the 942. Call a retailer....I can't stress it enough.

VOOMSTER must have had the same idot that I had. He told me that it would be $198.00 for the 811 rec. because I once had E* I told him that was a long way from free all he said was the deal was for first timers. I said that it never said you had to be a first timer all I ended up with P O :mad: enough to go to D* I also ask him to wave the fee and I got that sorry sir I can't do that.

gutter said:
If your locals happen to be on it, even that dish and install is free. If not, it is $100 or do was was suggested to convert your VOOM dish.

I have one local on 61.5 and they still insist I must pay the $100 for the second dish.

I'll call back again tomorrow and work this some more...

Do it. Tell them you can get a better deal through cable and the HDDVR is free, and tell them there also is no contract commitment. let them know that you want to be a dish customer and how can they make you one today. I said I am even willing to sign a contract with you and you still want to charge me cash up front?...I was put on hold 3 times why she supposedly checked with a supervisor, I kept being persistent and it paid off....Good luck! I did the same for the 100 for second dish..My total start up fee is $0

Timm, you should look for a Dish 6000 either through these forums or Ebay. There was one on this forum in the Classifieds 2 weeks ago for $200 and I almost snatched it up, I wish I would have now. If you use a 6000, all you would need to add is a sw21 to tie the 110 dish and the 61.5 dish together and you can call up, activate the receiver and get just the HD Pack. The 6000 uses the existing Voom LNB.

Do you have another dish you can point at 110? It can be a legacy dish if you get a 6000.

One other thing, Timm, if you need another legacy dish, I will give you one for the cost of shipping, I have 2 of them laying around.

So you have to get a 6000 receiver to use Voom's LNB?

I'm actually thinking about just receiving channels from 61.5 from Dish if I could get a cheap receiver and use my existing dish from Voom. It's worth $20 per month to me to get the Voom channels.

If I got an 811 or one the DVRs, the 921 or 942, would those all be incompatible with Voom's LNB?

One final question: do the 6000 receivers also do OTA HD?

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)