Any New Dish customers that recently left Directv??

Switched a few weeks ago.

Directv is a more professional company, with better HD PQ IMHO. The hardware is not as good as Echostars, but I think Directv is a better company. I also think this is why the mass, non-forum community, has chosen D* over the last 4 quarters.

They dont read this forum, they just realize Dish has crappy CS. That being said, Im with Dish because the Turbo plans have the best price for me, and Im happy with the service. I put up my own gear, and generally only deal with the CEO address.

If you have no real reason to leave D*, then dont.
I totally agree with the above post. I switched a little over a year ago, for the total HD package, but now they have messed that up. I know not many will agree with me but if you're used to Directs HD-DVR you are going to be greatly dissapointed with the Dish HD-DVR because it does not have many of the features that Direct does, and will take more steps to do what you want to do, it make work okay but in my opinion does not begin to conpare to Directv.

Also the signal is not as strong and steady as Direct. They will tell you if signal is above 50 or so its okay. You are probably used to getting 90 to 100 with Directv.

I've been disappointed with the lack of sports on Dish. No full-time HD RSNs, and they consistently don't show things on the main FSN South channel that are available to Comcast subscribers here so I have to go hunting through the alternates. Also disappointed by no Speed HD and no MLB TV (that one would really have been nice last night). Missing 3 HD locals as well, 2 of which show college sports in HD and I can't pick them up with an antenna. I also find the 722 harder to use than the HR-21 that I had with DirecTV, though I am learning more about it every day it just still seems clunkier to me. That said, the picture quality is not much if any worse, and there doesn't seem to be the occassional picture freeze issue I was having in D*'s Mpeg4 channels, so that's a plus. Also I'm spending a good bit less per month. Honestly unless the channel selection improves I will definitely see if DirecTV will give me a better answer on getting signal from my property when my contract is up.

If Sports is your thing -Directv is your sat provider.
If Movies are you thing-DISH is your sat provider.

I totally agree with the above post. I switched a little over a year ago, for the total HD package, but now they have messed that up. I know not many will agree with me but if you're used to Directs HD-DVR you are going to be greatly dissapointed with the Dish HD-DVR because it does not have many of the features that Direct does, and will take more steps to do what you want to do, it make work okay but in my opinion does not begin to conpare to Directv.

Also the signal is not as strong and steady as Direct. They will tell you if signal is above 50 or so its okay. You are probably used to getting 90 to 100 with Directv.

Completely illogical. What if Dish changed their scale from A to Z? I suspect your head would explode. It's pouring rain right now with rumbles of thunder, and all my Dish channels are coming in perfectly fine.

The DirecTV DVR, from a TiVO/Dish user's point of view, is an also-ran. It's slow, and prone to failures. It's better than a Comcast/Motorola DVR, however (but that's VERY faint praise).

Somebody is misinformed and not looking at their signal meter when it's flashing the yellow message about how the meter has been modified. A 50 on the 'new' meter would be around 90 on the old meter.

Completely illogical. What if Dish changed their scale from A to Z? I suspect your head would explode. It's pouring rain right now with rumbles of thunder, and all my Dish channels are coming in perfectly fine.

The DirecTV DVR, from a TiVO/Dish user's point of view, is an also-ran. It's slow, and prone to failures. It's better than a Comcast/Motorola DVR, however (but that's VERY faint praise).

Consider yourself lucky, my signals are generally in the 70s and I have many more signal issues with Dish than I ever did with Direct.

Believe me I know that, but the contractor DirecTV sent to my new house when I moved took one look, shook his head and left. Dish didn't have any trouble getting a signal, so they win for 2 years. Doesn't make it OK that I'm missing a lot of good sports channels, though.

... Not to mention the D* side is so BORING.
:D
That is the best reason I have seen yet to have DISH. :up
Of course with the threads on the other side you don't have to weed through 50 post on an hour long thread to find something relative to the OP, but best reason none the less.

I think the HD picture quality is higher with Dish. Less soft focus issues than I saw when I used DirecTV.
See, I think the opposite.
I went from a 622 (a few years old) to an HR22 (more or less D*'s top of the line).
Did you go from D* (old) to E* (new)?

That is as basic and accurate a way to put it as any. As far as the equipment, not a whole lot of difference. Both have their backers. Both do things that the other does not do, and both have had their problems. Of course that, like PQ, is subjective.

Don't forget to add you have to pay extra for both. For those that don't subscribe to sports or premium movie packages the choice may not be as clear.

Don't forget to add you have to pay extra for both. For those that don't subscribe to sports or premium movie packages the choice may not be as clear.
If the above applies and you want more than two HD DVRs, the dollar advantage goes to D*. They only charge one flat DVR fee, then $4.99 for each additional receiver. I believe that is correct.

If the above applies and you want more than two HD DVRs, the dollar advantage goes to D*. They only charge one flat DVR fee, then $4.99 for each additional receiver. I believe that is correct.

I think your correct....unless you you go to Dishes "everything pack"??

Looking foward to the move, something different after nine years, just got to find some time to have a day to schedule a future install!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts