Any New Dish customers that recently left Directv??

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Over the past few months I have thoought about switching from Directv to Dish, I know with all the bleak news you hear about dish, some might think I am crazy.

But I like that they have a few different programing packages to choose from during times that we dont watch to much tv and I like there HD selection. Sunday ticket is not that big a draw for me anymore, and in regard to baseball, as long as I have my local RSN, I am happy. Now NFL network, that is a channel I would like to not ever lose :)

In part of my research I have tried to look at older posts from anyone who actually did switch from Directv to Dish recently. This is a big move for me as I have Directv since 2000 and I am not into the swapping providers every year game

Are there any recent new Dish customers that left Directv recently...If so, how are you enjoying the change??

Thanks for any input

Switch. I've been following your posts. Do what you want to do. BTW, I turned down a $40.00 less a month offer from D*. Can't part with Dish technology. Not to mention the D* side is so BORING.

Switch. I've been following your posts. Do what you want to do. BTW, I turned down a $40.00 less a month offer from D*. Can't part with Dish technology. Not to mention the D* side is so BORING.

Thanks for the input on this

I had both and decided to keep one. And the winner is......... Dish.:)

The only thing that I will miss about Direct is the customer service. They all speak English!!!

The Dish hardware is hard to beat. What puzzles me is that Dish should be atleast not losing subs but gaining like Direct. Dish marketing is very poor at best.

I have said it several times before and will say it again. Chuck needs to hire Scott as his right hand man to get the Dish ship going in the right direction.

Poor customer service and INEPT marketing is the main reason why DISH is losing subs. If I could tell CHArlie three things that would help him regain his title as #1 in satellite service :

1) SPEND THE MONEY AND GET A GOOD ADVERTISING AGENCY- also cut out the confusing programming packs , new made up names like classic silver and turbo blow hd.

2) SPEND THE MONEY AND INSOURCE YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENTS-move your csrs home so Americans can do the jobs and so they can be understood by the customers and installers.

3) FIRE THE ACCOUNTANTS THAT ARE NICKEL AND DIMING YOUR BUSINESS TO DEATH. END the extra made up fees that only YOU can eliminate. CUT out the dvr fees on all dvr receivers with dvr advantage pack. Your competition is killing you with this and what good is having great dvrs if NO one can afford to have more than one on their account except AEP subs?

To summarize you need to SPEND money in order to MAKE money. DISH has tried the cheap , stingy, greedy route and all I got to say to that is : How is that working out for you Charlie?

...2) SPEND THE MONEY AND INSOURCE YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENTS-move your csrs home so Americans can do the jobs and so they can be understood by the customers and installers....

What does Dish do with the 13 customer service centers they already have in the US?

Just wondering, how much does it cost to get out of a Dish contract early? I am thinking of switching from Dish to Direct due to the baseball channel. I am okay w/o having the Extra Innings package, but come on give us the channel.

I will say that i have dish and have quite a bit of experience with D* due to family members having it. And the one thing that I have found is that D* is all about the oo and ahhh..where dish is more about the nitty gritty and less flashy. But imo that is what makes dish better because I have found that dish's hardware is much more durable than D* Plus, I have also found that Dish is almost always cheaper than D*, which is probably due to D*'s glitz and glamour.

I will say that i have dish and have quite a bit of experience with D* due to family members having it. And the one thing that I have found is that D* is all about the oo and ahhh..where dish is more about the nitty gritty and less flashy. But imo that is what makes dish better because I have found that dish's hardware is much more durable than D* Plus, I have also found that Dish is almost always cheaper than D*, which is probably due to D*'s glitz and glamour.

Thanks for the input on this!

I switched from DirecTV to Dish. I'm really happy with the change. The DirecTV DVR is quieter though, I'll say that.

I switched from DirecTV to DISH in early February. The main reason I switched was that I wanted more HD -- I was only getting OTA HD with my old HD DirecTiVo (HR10-250) -- and I wanted to lower my bill. With DISH TurboHD packages, I was able to do both. That wasn't something I could do with DirecTV. So far I am basically happy, but for me to stay happy DISH needs to add all new HD channels to the corresponding (HD-only) TurboHD packages. I was told any new HD would be included in the proper TurboHD packages, but that didn't prove true (at least initially) with addition of Fox News HD and Fox Business HD. So DISH need to get it done right with the addition of future HD channels -- else they will upset me and a lot of other customers.

The only downside with Dish is the lack of networks in HD in some smaller cities or if you are in a rural area, they make you deal with AAD and pay extra for the networks and offer none in HD.

I switched to Dish back in September and have been very satified. I even had a problem with the system that a sub-contractor installed and he would not do anything to try and correct the situation.
I ended up dealing with Dish technical support.... the situation was handled and corrected to a degree that went beyond my expectations. I think it helps a lot if you can get someone on the phone who actually cares about helping the customer instead of telling us ways they can't help.

E* equipt is far beyond D* do a little research

The posts have been very informative guys!. This is why this site is great, I am looking foward to "crossing over" to the dish side!!!

Next step is to look at the calender for some time I have and give Dishstore.net a call

And a another thanks to the posts of recent Directv defectors, it was good to read that folks are moving to them, and I am just thinking crazy thoughts....lol

I've been disappointed with the lack of sports on Dish. No full-time HD RSNs, and they consistently don't show things on the main FSN South channel that are available to Comcast subscribers here so I have to go hunting through the alternates. Also disappointed by no Speed HD and no MLB TV (that one would really have been nice last night). Missing 3 HD locals as well, 2 of which show college sports in HD and I can't pick them up with an antenna. I also find the 722 harder to use than the HR-21 that I had with DirecTV, though I am learning more about it every day it just still seems clunkier to me. That said, the picture quality is not much if any worse, and there doesn't seem to be the occassional picture freeze issue I was having in D*'s Mpeg4 channels, so that's a plus. Also I'm spending a good bit less per month. Honestly unless the channel selection improves I will definitely see if DirecTV will give me a better answer on getting signal from my property when my contract is up.

). Missing 3 HD locals as well, 2 of which show college sports in HD and I can't pick them up with an antenna. .

Why? Bad antenna? I am farther out from the towers than you are and I get everything except PAX. Mostly because PAX is almost a 100 miles from me.
Which are you missing?

Switched a few weeks ago.

Directv is a more professional company, with better HD PQ IMHO. The hardware is not as good as Echostars, but I think Directv is a better company. I also think this is why the mass, non-forum community, has chosen D* over the last 4 quarters.

They dont read this forum, they just realize Dish has crappy CS. That being said, Im with Dish because the Turbo plans have the best price for me, and Im happy with the service. I put up my own gear, and generally only deal with the CEO address.

If you have no real reason to leave D*, then dont.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)