Any one ever heard of helping a friend with bad credit it Dish?

Look I appluad your wanting to help a friend out but heres some things to consider.

(1) If you atach your name and SS number to his account then that makes you responsible should he decide not to pay his bill and it will affect your credit rating.

(2) He's done something or many things in the very recent past that are throwing up all sorts of red flags or has himself spread incredibly far out there with credit accounts and for Dish to decline him then that says something because I've installed customers in the past who had filed bankruptcy and gotten dish on a lease and one filed twice in a 5 year time frame.

(3) If his credit situation is as bad as it sounds then he should get rabbit ears and instead put that monthly cable or sat bill into paying off his credit issues and right now with the way the country is going it would be a good idea to do that.
Thanks for the reminders of what could go wrong but the guy rates more than rabbit ears and I intend to do whatever it takes to ensure that. I just came here to see if anyone knew the nuts and bolts of how to do it.

i didnt read this whole post, but ill tell you that when i signed up for dish several years ago, they wanted a large deposit because of my credit rating. i must have spoken to the right rep, because eventually i was given a free install due to my 'on-time' payment history with centurytel, a dish partner. i was re-routed to centurytel, who hooked me up with dish with no deposit.

This whole credit thing makes no sense to me anyway. What happens if the bill doesn't get paid? They shut it off! What else happens if the bill doesn't get paid? You have to box up all your Dish equipment, and send it back so they can "lease" it to someone else! They turn down a potential new customer, for what...the POSSIBILITY of being stuck for one month of service? After losing over 100,000 subs last quarter they need to start thinking a bit differently.
:down:mad: I've never been in this situation, but it sure doesn't seem right!

I've been working to get my buddy in another state to drop cable and get Dish and when I finally did he was refused because the local dealer couldn't get a credit OK from Dish.

Can I co-sign or put up a security deposit or something?

How about reminding them of my 10+ year customer loyalty? STOP LAUGHING!

I'd really like to help this guy and I'm willing to spend money to get the job done.
Give him the money to buy his own equipment. Once you own your equipment your credit score doesn't matter. Your credit score only matters when leasing or getting leasing promotions.
You might also have to pay 2 months of service ahead.

Dude,

Your late to the picnic. No one is asking anyone to take a risk. Even simpler indeed.

Sorry Dude, you're the one asking Dish to take the risk with your friend who has the bad credit. You wrote that you were trying to broker that.

No matter, it's TV. Not some secret squirrel connection to the answers to the universe. Bottom line, if you get the account set up under your name then they send the bill to him and he does not pay it will be on you. You will be responsible. I hope it works out.

This whole credit thing makes no sense to me anyway. What happens if the bill doesn't get paid? They shut it off! What else happens if the bill doesn't get paid? You have to box up all your Dish equipment, and send it back so they can "lease" it to someone else! They turn down a potential new customer, for what...the POSSIBILITY of being stuck for one month of service? After losing over 100,000 subs last quarter they need to start thinking a bit differently.
:down:mad: I've never been in this situation, but it sure doesn't seem right!
Dish has to pay someone to install the equipment, and has hundreds of dollars worth of equipment sitting at the customer's house/apartment. If they lease the equipment to some meth head who fails to pay his first bill and then trades the equipment for some drugs as soon as his account is disabled, good luck recouping the loss.

Sorry Dude, you're the one asking Dish to take the risk with your friend who has the bad credit. You wrote that you were trying to broker that.
Not exactly true but I see how you thought that.
Can I co-sign or put up a security deposit or something?

I'd really like to help this guy and I'm willing to spend money to get the job done.

Bottom line, if you get the account set up under your name then they send the bill to him and he does not pay it will be on you. You will be responsible.
Like I said:
Now if necessary I'd gladly pay his Dish bill for the rest of his life...
I hope it works out.
Thank you.

Last edited:
There is a reason people have poor credit.
Your point here?

Try this: Lets say you get sick or get into a car accident and lose your job and become uninsured and before you get back to work you get sicker and need hospital care which you have no hope of paying for for years and years. Or like tens of millions of other Americans your job doesn't include medical coverage and you get sick or injured. Or suppose any other of thousands of life's misfortunes befalls you.

What do you suppose your credit rating would look like for the next seven years?
Hint: Dish won't accept you as a customer.

Life is more complicated than "There is a reason people have poor credit" implies.

Sorry for the snark but you touched a nerve.

steve 4810 i agree with you some of these people have no idea what they talk about in the real world, i too had no credit, not bad but no credit. i own everything i have / pay cash and i got shot down by dish. i bought my own equipment and install for $299 NO CONTRACT!!!!!!!!!!MONTH TO MONTH might be a solution for your friend.soapbox time if credit wasn?t so easy in the past maybe the u.s. would be in better shape today!!! good luck

There's more than a month's fees at risk. Full retail on the equipment - all of it. And the contract termination fees. And a bad mark on your own record.

steve4810,

I would recommend either the FREE FOR ALL setup with dish, in which your friend can buy everything up front, and then pay month to month(there is a security deposit, I think of 2-3 months worth of programming).

Or, I would go the Dish NOW!/YA! prepaid route. The cost of one of these systems is $99+tax. If you go that way, get it from www.saudon.com since his boxes should have the new G3 purple smartcard in them whereas Radio Shacks units probably do not.

If your friend is having financial problems, this setup is a GREAT way to control his costs for how much TV viewing he may do. He is in COMPLETE CONTROL of what he would spend per month on programming. He could order programming for a day, then have it gone. The only thing you need to give in the initial setup is a zip code.

The downside to it is:

1. No local channels
2. No local Regional Sports Networks like Fox sports/NESN/YES/MSG/etc....
3. No HD and No PPV
4. The DP301 will make it available in one room only on one TV

Here is a link to prepaid quetions. It is a long thread so if you have any questions, just PM me. I am quite an authority on the setup.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/123868-dish-network-prepaid-question.html

I have 3 DISH accounts in my name for my parents, my aunt and myself. I own all of the receivers on all 3 accounts. I pay all 3 accounts with my credit card. My family pays me. SIMPLE and easy . That is all you have to do is open another account in your name . If you own your own receiver you don't have any commitment. But be warned if the friend goes back on paying you are stuck with the bill.

I am that way with my in-laws. They don't have a credit card, so I set up the account for them. They pay me each month (it's a pretty minimal service, so the cost is low). The billing address is mine, but the service address is theirs.

The only weird thing was when a new smartcard arrived. It was sent to me instead of them. I just mailed it to them, and everything was fine.

I am that way with my in-laws. They don't have a credit card, so I set up the account for them. They pay me each month (it's a pretty minimal service, so the cost is low). The billing address is mine, but the service address is theirs.

The only weird thing was when a new smartcard arrived. It was sent to me instead of them. I just mailed it to them, and everything was fine.

I actually installed all of my relatives sat dishes and receivers. They are all at "moved"address so they can get the city of their choice for locals. I also handle all the billing problems since they do not want to be bothered with the confusing programming packs that DISH has. I even got them Free hbo/starz and 1 cent cinemax as well. All smart cards come to me and I send them to them as well. I am like the dish installer , tech, billing & payments all in one. Maybe I should get on the pay roll at DISH.

There is a reason people have poor credit.

He could get a prepay dish Now system, no credit check needed

i have poor credit (actually no credit) because i chose to never take a loan or apply for a credit card once in my life. doesnt mean i dont pay my bills.

Sorry to say, but some of my friends are very well respected in the community and in business. What I was referring to is, only a fool opens an account for a friend. If the friend doesn't pay-you are responsible. If the friend dies, you are responsible. And NO, your CC won't work with his name. I'll bet my house, that if Dish accepted it, your CC would reject it. That's a fraud prevention measure. Your friend's best bet, is to go the prepaid route. And in the future, pay his bills and get his Credit rating back up. I'll bet I'm not the only taxpayer that's tired of footing the bill for deadbeats!

Class act!!!!

You used to be able to sign up at an additional address but recently DISH did away with this.
So if you try and put it at his address it will show that you are a current customer and do not qualify for new customer promotions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts