Any plans to bring Dish Anywhere to Apple TV?

bowens

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
The Dish Anywhere app is great, but I prefer the Apple TV streaming device to the Fire Stick. It would be great to have that option.

Since they already have it for iOS for the iPhone and iPad shouldn't be hard to port it over to an Apple TV app. (You would think anyways) :D
That's what I was thinking. I know I can airplay but that's not always convenient. It's easier to use an app on the Apple TV.

tvOS is based on iOS, but Apple is known for its draconian requirements of MONEY, MONEY, and more MONEY if you want a place in Apple Land--even when compared to Google who seems a bargain compared to Apple's financial huge skim off the top.

There may be additional costs to being on Apple TV that may not be general knowledge. Apple's business model is charging and skimming a HOG's portion for being part of the Apple universe. AFWIW, Tim Cook sometimes seems more like a Tim "CROOK" especially with Apple leading the way with destroying "Right to Repair" by suing not rich folks (have you seen that nice lady and her story and how Apple is suing her to ruins?) who repair Apple products and even RECOVER valuable and sentimental and personal data for a MODEST fee when Apple claims it can't be done and tell you to buy a NEW device, instead.

And Apple caught in a CBC investigation at Apple Stores in Canada recommending NEW iPhones and devices to its "customers" when Apple could have easily and cheaply repaired them--as customers expect as part of the warranty and Apple "Care."

And Apple is NOT so privacy conscience as they claim as, among a great many other things, Apple devices have been shown to send to Apple every MAC address of every device in your home, etc, it discovers, and for what POSSIBLE reason does Apple need the MAC address of every device is can snoopy access without the user explicitly trying to access any of those devices to send back to Apple; it is Apple default behavior--and NO Google was shown NOT to go that far in harvesting such MAC address info about your personal devices in your home or office without the user attempting to connect to such devices.

Yeah, Google snoops, too, but they don't claim to be "concerned" about nor do they every claim to "care" about your privacy nor do they loudly claim to keep your data "private" as Apple does (and we know Apple has the keys to the Kingdom where your privacy resides in the Apple universe), and Apple makes such false sense of privacy the center piece of its marketing.

Apple has sunk to new lows since Tim Crook took over as CEO, although Steve Jobs was a pirate himself, worthy of being on America's Most Unctuous and ranked among Forbes Creepiest Bosses alongside Thomas Edison who also claimed to have "invented" all the work and ideas of those under his employment. But even the diva Oscar the Grouch former Apple CEO Steve Jobs--regularly and reliably showing moments of contempt for those who buy his Apple products--would be spinning in his black turtleneck in his grave at the new lows of Tom Crook.

I would say, Charlie, take a pass on Apple TV and save yourself and Dish a boatload of money otherwise the cost of being in Apple Land would have to be passed on to Dish subscribers.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWS44 and AZ.
tvOS is based on iOS, but Apple is known for its draconian requirements of MONEY, MONEY, and more MONEY if you want a place in Apple Land--even when compared to Google who seems a bargain compared to Apple's financial huge skim off the top.

There may be additional costs to being on Apple TV that may not be general knowledge. Apple's business model is charging and skimming a HOG's portion for being part of the Apple universe. AFWIW, Tim Cook sometimes seems more like a Tim "CROOK" especially with Apple leading the way with destroying "Right to Repair" by suing not rich folks (have you seen that nice lady and her story and how Apple is suing her to ruins?) who repair Apple products and even RECOVER valuable and sentimental and personal data for a MODEST fee when Apple claims it can't be done and tell you to buy a NEW device, instead.

And Apple caught in a CBC investigation at Apple Stores in Canada recommending NEW iPhones and devices to its "customers" when Apple could have easily and cheaply repaired them--as customers expect as part of the warranty and Apple "Care."

And Apple is NOT so privacy conscience as they claim as, among a great many other things, Apple devices have been shown to send to Apple every MAC address of every device in your home, etc, it discovers, and for what POSSIBLE reason does Apple need the MAC address of every device is can snoopy access without the user explicitly trying to access any of those devices to send back to Apple; it is Apple default behavior--and NO Google was shown NOT to go that far in harvesting such MAC address info about your personal devices in your home or office without the user attempting to connect to such devices.

Yeah, Google snoops, too, but they don't claim to be "concerned" about nor do they every claim to "care" about your privacy nor do they loudly claim to keep your data "private" as Apple does (and we know Apple has the keys to the Kingdom where your privacy resides in the Apple universe), and Apple makes such false sense of privacy the center piece of its marketing.

Apple has sunk to new lows since Tim Crook took over as CEO, although Steve Jobs was a pirate himself, worthy of being on America's Most Unctuous and ranked among Forbes Creepiest Bosses alongside Thomas Edison who also claimed to have "invented" all the work and ideas of those under his employment. But even the diva Oscar the Grouch former Apple CEO Steve Jobs--regularly and reliably showing moments of contempt for those who buy his Apple products--would be spinning in his black turtleneck in his grave at the new lows of Tom Crook.

I would say, Charlie, take a pass on Apple TV and save yourself and Dish a boatload of money otherwise the cost of being in Apple Land would have to be passed on to Dish subscribers.
So you hate Apple? Got it.

On the fees, I don't think it costs anything to have a free app other than the $99/year developer license. They only charge if you're charging for the app or charging for in app purchases. No different than on the iPhone or iPad. They obviously already have the developer license, so it wouldn't cost them any more to put the app on Apple TV other than the development cost to modify the app for a TV which can't be a whole lot.

I don’t know any reason why they have been exclusive to Amazon since they released on streaming boxes. Maybe Jeff Bezos was paying them though I can’t imagine why it would be worth the loss of potential users to have a firetv exclusive.

So, where are the other essays about why Dish Anywhere is not available on Chromecast or Roku as well?

(I was searching to see if there were any updates on when Dish Anywhere would be available on Apple TV and was very amused by the comment above.)

Reactions: Nominal

I actually love Apple products myself. I kinda have brand loyalty to Apple and Sony.

I actually love Apple products myself. I kinda have brand loyalty to Apple and Sony.

I do too but reading your original post I would have thought you were an Android guy.

Dish moves in mysterious ways, but want to come back to Dish but don’t want to pay for a bunch of Joeys when I can use Apple TV on all my TV’s. Seems short sighted to me.

I do too but reading your original post I would have thought you were an Android guy.

Dish moves in mysterious ways, but want to come back to Dish but don’t want to pay for a bunch of Joeys when I can use Apple TV on all my TV’s. Seems short sighted to me.
That was my first post in this thread. You must have gotten me confused with one of the other posters.

Well, if your able to afford the $5,000 27” Pro Display, what’s another $20 to keep it looking new? That it works on all other Apple screens is a bonus! ;)
I like your response. And, hmm, does not a Swifter do a decent job, and I get like 7 in box for less than $10 at Target? :) He, he, he. Lots of owners of $5000 displays shop there too.

OK, distilled water and a silk-like cloth has done WONDERS for me on several HDTV displays and many an Android and (as people I know with Apple phone/displays) Apple products. Hey, I guess some folks well buy that FREE 4K TV antenna to sit upon your TV (like people have a place on TOP of their TV) that I've seen advertised on TV. :). On second thought, I'm gonna take out a loan and get some proper Apple cleaning products just because I can. :).

Reactions: Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)