Any reason to go with Joey 2.0 rather than the 4k Joey?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Trouthead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Rockies
Title says it all. We don't have a 4k TV yet but it is coming for the bedroom unit. But maybe not for a year. Any downside to the 4k over the Joey 2.0? Speed would be nice, so why not get the 4K and avoid the rush later.

Super Joey is only going to work with the Hopper with Sling or Hopper2. They won't let you put one on the same account as your hopper 3.

I have the Joey 2.0 and would have gotten the 4K Joey if I had to do it over again. I have Netflix on the Hopper 3 as well as my LG TV, Roku, Firestick, etc, so wouldn't have missed it on the 4K Joey. The speed and responsiveness of the 4K Joey is close to that of the H3, from what I have heard, which is not the case with the Joey 2.0. Just my two cents...

Opinions on this are all over the place. I understood it to be noticeably faster than a Joey 2 but certainly not as fast as a Hopper 3. Then others say it's only a bit faster than a Joey 2 and not fast enough to be a deciding factor.
My own opinion here is that it may be faster than a Joey 2, but probably not so much faster it's readily noticeable. I don't think Netflix should be an issue nor will it be added. If you have a 4K TV, I'm pretty confident you have Netflix on the TV itself, right? Really, the biggest difference is the Joey 1 & 2 has the ability to be set on edge with the stand and the 4K doesn't, but it's so slim (and sleek looking), I bet it's rare for space to be an issue

I agree with you about Netflix coming to the 4K Joey - I don't think it's going to happen. Same with already having the Netflix app on a 4K TV. I'm not sure how many TVs released in the past ~2 years are not 'smart' TVs. Just using Crutchfield's offering as an example, they currently have (76) 4K models and (74) of them are 'smart'.

Reactions: HipKat
While an annoyance I wouldn't consider not getting a 4K Joey just because Netflix does not work. First it may at some point, but there are a gadzillion inexpensive ways to watch Netflix in the room where a 4K Joey is.
Wow! I only have a paltry zillion.:crying

Reactions: Tampa8
Not all smart TVs get Netflix. I have a 4K Joey connected to a Vizeo 3D TV. Neither get Netflix. The TV keeps saying I have no internet when I try to use the Netflix App. All other Apps work. I have called Vizeo and Netflix to no avail. So I have to revert to a Panasonic 3D Blu-Ray player to see Netflix. Too bad the Dish remote can't control more than 3 devices. The Joey 2 has no up front charge where as the 4K Joey does . I had to pay $50. 2 Years now waiting for PIP and Netflix. I tried to swap the 4K Joey for a Joey 2 and get the $50 refunded with no being the definitive response. I have another Joey 2 and Wireless Joey in the house and have never been aggravated by their speed.

Not all smart TVs get Netflix. I have a 4K Joey connected to a Vizeo 3D TV. Neither get Netflix. The TV keeps saying I have no internet when I try to use the Netflix App. All other Apps work. I have called Vizeo and Netflix to no avail. So I have to revert to a Panasonic 3D Blu-Ray player to see Netflix. Too bad the Dish remote can't control more than 3 devices. The Joey 2 has no up front charge where as the 4K Joey does . I had to pay $50. 2 Years now waiting for PIP and Netflix. I tried to swap the 4K Joey for a Joey 2 and get the $50 refunded with no being the definitive response. I have another Joey 2 and Wireless Joey in the house and have never been aggravated by their speed.

First Netflix has an overall problem with their apps. You can add Samsung with having problems with it along with the Joey, Vizio etc... But what I posted holds true, you didn't need to spend anything to watch it, but being an annoyance as I said. You could watch in 4K if you wanted to spend some money to do it also. It's just not a reason not to get a 4K Joey over one app not working.

I have both. The Joey 4K runs circles around the 2.0. I'd even go on a limb and say the 4K Joey is just as fast as a Hopper 3. The speed difference between the Joey 2 and 4K is very noticeable. Having a Joey 2 on the TVs that I actually watch regularly would probably drive me crazy. Thankfully, the Joey 2.0 is in the guest room so only guests have to put up with it!

Unless you have to have Netflix on the Joey, get a 4K even if you don't have a 4K tv. I don't, but still got the 4K Joey just for the speed.

I have both. The Joey 4K runs circles around the 2.0. I'd even go on a limb and say the 4K Joey is just as fast as a Hopper 3. The speed difference between the Joey 2 and 4K is very noticeable. Having a Joey 2 on the TVs that I actually watch regularly would probably drive me crazy. Thankfully, the Joey 2.0 is in the guest room so only guests have to put up with it!

Unless you have to have Netflix on the Joey, get a 4K even if you don't have a 4K tv. I don't, but still got the 4K Joey just for the speed.
That's good to know. I've never had the opportunity to compare them side by side and TBH, I've only installed 3 4K Joeys since they were fielded.

I did some tests to see how slow the Joey 2 was. It takes 2 seconds to respond to most remote commands. That includes changing channels, bringing up the guide, skip forward, skip back, and bringing up the DVR.

The slowest response was using the Game Finder App. It took 12 seconds on my Joey 2 while the Hopper3 took 6 seconds.

Maybe I am more patient than most but I still recommend a Joey 2 since it does Netflix and I don't see 2 seconds as slow.

I did some tests to see how slow the Joey 2 was. It takes 2 seconds to respond to most remote commands. That includes changing channels, bringing up the guide, skip forward, skip back, and bringing up the DVR.

The slowest response was using the Game Finder App. It took 12 seconds on my Joey 2 while the Hopper3 took 6 seconds.

Maybe I am more patient than most but I still recommend a Joey 2 since it does Netflix and I don't see 2 seconds as slow.
Just for kicks, I just tested my WiFi Joey. After turning on, it took 4 seconds for EPG, but after that it was immediate. Same with Channel changing. Didn't try Game Finder, though.

Reactions: ncted
Just for kicks, I just tested my WiFi Joey. After turning on, it took 4 seconds for EPG, but after that it was immediate. Same with Channel changing. Didn't try Game Finder, though.

Wow. That makes me think I should get wireless Joeys instead of regular ones.

Reactions: HipKat
Wow. That makes me think I should get wireless Joeys instead of regular ones.
No, you should not. The wireless Joey is VERY slow, and drops it's wireless connection all to often requiring a plug reboot of the WJ and the WAP...at least once a week. I only have it because of my chosen TV location vs where the coax is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)