Any update on PBS???

OrlandoSGM

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 27, 2008
Orlando, FL
About a month or so ago DISH uplinked many local PBS stations in HD. A few weeks later they put some of them on the air, but the vast majority of ther local HD feeds of the PBS stations have not been made available yet.

Does anyone have any idea as to when we might expect to see these stations made available to us? (I'm looking for the two Orlando/Daytona stations specifically)

Thanks for any information.

I'm patiently waiting for our local PBS station to go HD as well, but I figure it'll come in time. We have a smaller community compared to some, so I'm sure we're way down on the list.

I seem to remember that Scott said we would see the stations on October 13th. Well that obviously didn't happen. So I guess they are still coming "SOON"!

I think E* fulfilled their PBS obligations October 13th..the rest of us are sol till they have to meet another deadline

I don't understand this whole no PBS in HD thing. Can someone summerize in a nutshell?

Deadline, why would there be a deadline?

I thought there was some FCC rule about stations being offered in SD had to be offered in HD if available at no charge, obviously this is not so (Dish & disney being the best example).

Indeed, I, too have been awaiting WVIZ. I see the tables still have an entry for it on TheList. But it would be nice to know if it will ever pan out.

Indeed, I, too have been awaiting WVIZ. I see the tables still have an entry for it on TheList. But it would be nice to know if it will ever pan out.
We're still waiting on KUHT in Houston. I really don't understand Dish's logic here. Houston is not just a little country town anymore. Also, KUHT was the first public education channel having gone on air in 1953.

We're still waiting on KUHT in Houston. I really don't understand Dish's logic here. Houston is not just a little country town anymore. Also, KUHT was the first public education channel having gone on air in 1953.
Same here, looking forward to KUHT going HD ASAP!

I don't understand this whole no PBS in HD thing. Can someone summerize in a nutshell?

Deadline, why would there be a deadline?

I thought there was some FCC rule about stations being offered in SD had to be offered in HD if available at no charge, obviously this is not so (Dish & disney being the best example).

Search this Forum for PBS...

Sure would be nice to get PBS via Dish. PBS MPEG-2 OTA uses 6000+ MB/hr on my disks versus 1600 to 2400 for Dish MPEG-4 HD shows. Of course I would need to have them re-show a lot of past programming, like Masterpieces, to get them re-recorded. Networks OTA are also big but I don't keep them after viewing, generally and they are MPEG-4 via Dish.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)