Any updates on MLB Network

Well, the deal DirecTV and the cable companies signed up for was (1) pay a MUCH higher fee for MLB EI starting in 2007, and (2) you'll get a partial stake in the MLB Network. Dish passed on this deal.

BTW, in every single thread on this issue somebody states this incorrect info:

This is backwards. MLB required anyone who wanted MLB EI to commit to carrying the upcoming MLB Network, inorder to make the launch of the MLB Network to be successful. Charlie could pick up the MLB Network if he wished, but he saved his $$$ since he (probably) figures that the baseball fans interested in this channel have long since left for DirecTV.

I would disagree. EI is an extra package. MLB network would be just like NFL Network in that it would be INCLUDED in the TOP 200 and therefore FREE. (At least it is in the FREE channels with DirectTV.) Just like not all football fans pay to have the PREMIUM package that allows them to watch each and every NFL game not all baseball fans have EI. However, if you take away NFL Network a larger number of subscribers would switch providers in a second to be able to watch that free channel. Same here. When my contract expires I'll switch to DirectTV and will get MLB Network for free.

How much can MLB want per subscriber anyways? I doubt it is more than NFL network and Dish carries that channel. MLB network actually is much better channel than NFL Network since MLB network's offseason programming is significantly better. They have a huge library of classic old games they broadcast plus their Baseball news is an improvement as well. Unfortunately, NFL films prefers to sit on their vault of old games and keeps them off the airwaves.

Last edited:
Well, the deal DirecTV and the cable companies signed up for was (1) pay a MUCH higher fee for MLB EI starting in 2007, and (2) you'll get a partial stake in the MLB Network. Dish passed on this deal.

BTW, in every single thread on this issue somebody states this incorrect info:

This is backwards. MLB required anyone who wanted MLB EI to commit to carrying the upcoming MLB Network, inorder to make the launch of the MLB Network to be successful. Charlie could pick up the MLB Network if he wished, but he saved his $$$ since he (probably) figures that the baseball fans interested in this channel have long since left for DirecTV.
Not true. I had a copy of the agreement and the wording that I posted on other threads (I can no longer find it). It basically stated that in order of any provider to carry MLBNet, they must also carry EI. The carriage is tied. In order to have one, they must also have the other. Which is why you do not see a single provider with only one.

Here is a Wiki source. Not the same source I had, but the wording in similar.

Carriage

The network has signed contracts with 36 cable and satellite carriers. In a deal that may be copied by other sports league owned channels, MLB tied carriage of the MLB Network to the ability to carry the popular out of market MLB Extra Innings package. In return, cable and satellite providers were offered a minority share of the new network. Two major television providers that are not currently carrying the channel are AT&T U-Verse and Dish Network, leaving DirecTV with satellite exclusivity. Dish Network has been in an ongoing carriage dispute about MLB Extra Innings since the end of the 2006 season.

What are we missing by not having it? Is it similar to the NFL Network?

Yes, I is I had the oportunity to see it when I had directv. If you are a hard core baseball fan, I could see how you may like it. They do show games. They have a pretty good night time recap show. In the few months I had it, I did not watch it much. I enjoy baseball, but not a huge fan . I can catch the local feed with the tigers so thats good enough for me. But being a big football fan I do watch NFL network quite a bit so I can see where the big baseball fan may feel left out not being able to see it.

I got Cable to MLB Network and ExpressVu for extra Innings!

I had to buy a Cable HD Tivo from Weaknees yesterday because the Comcast DVR is really getting on my nerves with their hard to use remote and crappy guide.
Just out of curiosity, how many HD EI games are shown on your local cable each week? Do they have duel feeds (broadcast from both teams' feeds) in both SD and HD?

Just out of curiosity, how many HD EI games are shown on your local cable each week? Do they have duel feeds (broadcast from both teams' feeds) in both SD and HD?

I will be not many and No to dual feeds. Coming from Charter last yet MLBEI is great this year. I like baseball in general so all games entertain me. I really like the coverage on STO(Cleveland), YES and FSPT(Dodgers,Vince Scully enough Said). Dishnetwork not have MLBEI would kill any chance of me migrating back to them.

What are we missing by not having it? Is it similar to the NFL Network?
Unlike NFLN there are no exclusive games on MLBN and as for the highlights, ESPN does a good job with Baseball Tonight and SportsCenter. So, unless you're into old baseball stuff you're not missing much...

Unlike NFLN there are no exclusive games on MLBN and as for the highlights, ESPN does a good job with Baseball Tonight and SportsCenter. So, unless you're into old baseball stuff you're not missing much...
Wrong.

MLBNet has exclusive national broadcast on Thursday night. One with EI can also see the teams broadcast of the same game (but you need EI to do that anyway). Therefor those without EI can see a Thursday national broadcast. There is also an alternate channel in HD and SD to show an alternate game for those areas that maybe blacked out.

There are also a lot of exclusive shows, historical documentries, ex. Even putting away my baseball bias and you ask fans of all sports, most will tell you that MLBNet is the best of all of the league "exclusive" sports channels (NFL, NBA, NHL, ex).

Wrong.

MLBNet has exclusive national broadcast on Thursday night. One with EI can also see the teams broadcast of the same game (but you need EI to do that anyway). Therefor those without EI can see a Thursday national broadcast. There is also an alternate channel in HD and SD to show an alternate game for those areas that maybe blacked out.

There are also a lot of exclusive shows, historical documentries, ex. Even putting away my baseball bias and you ask fans of all sports, most will tell you that MLBNet is the best of all of the league "exclusive" sports channels (NFL, NBA, NHL, ex).

Yes, I think that is an excellent point. Why the golf channel over MLB Network? And how much per subscriber can the MLB Network cost? Anyone know what NFL Network costs cable and Sat operators?

Yes, I think that is an excellent point. Why the golf channel over MLB Network? And how much per subscriber can the MLB Network cost? Anyone know what NFL Network costs cable and Sat operators?
Although I seldom watch it and prefer to watch others, I would put the Golf channel above many of the others as well as far as the way it is run and original programming.

Wrong.

I forgot to mention Saturday Night baseball as well

I forgot to mention Saturday Night baseball as well

So you get 2 nights of baseball plus news and a great library of classic games on a free channel that this is included in a top 200 type package. I'd think that is a strong incentive for a baseball fan to find a provider who offers it. Too bad I didn't realize MLB was launching this channel last summer when I signed a 2-year deal with Dish :(

So you get 2 nights of baseball plus news and a great library of classic games on a free channel that this is included in a top 200 type package. I'd think that is a strong incentive for a baseball fan to find a provider who offers it. Too bad I didn't realize MLB was launching this channel last summer when I signed a 2-year deal with Dish :(
Yep...

That is why I said it is the best sports channel around (obviously if one doesn't like baseball they won't think the channel is that good). They learned from all of the others and got off to a good start so far.

Yep...

That is why I said it is the best sports channel around (obviously if one doesn't like baseball they won't think the channel is that good). They learned from all of the others and got off to a good start so far.
Let me also add that there are those occasional times when the only broadcast of a particular game locally is through MLBNet. That was the case a couple weeks ago when the Dodgers played the Astros. The game here in LA was only shown on MLBNet and because of it the game was not blacked out. Which meant that those that have Dish or U-Verse were not able to see the game.

Wrong.

Am I wrong??

If a Thursday night Red Sox game is broadcast on MLBN, then you're saying I won't be able to watch it on NESN. I can, so that does not make it an exclusive national broadcast, such as the case with FOX and ESPN.

Am I wrong??

If a Thursday night Red Sox game is broadcast on MLBN, then you're saying I won't be able to watch it on NESN. I can, so that does not make it an exclusive national broadcast, such as the case with FOX and ESPN.
I am saying that they do have exclusive games, such as the Dodger Astros game I mentioned in my previous post. Here in LA it was only broadcast on MLBNet so those without this channel could not see the game. This is also true for many games in many markets throughout the year.

Plus I am saying that they show games that, outside of a local market (similar to ESPN), can only be seen on MLBNet OR through EI; so those that don't have EI can only see the game on MLBNet (so it is exclusive to these folks). The Thursday games on MLBNet use their own announcers.

Last edited:
I am saying that they do have exclusive games, such as the Dodger Astros game I mentioned in my previous post. Here in LA it was only broadcast on MLBNet so those without this channel could not see the game. This is also true for many games in many markets throughout the year.

Plus I am saying that they show games that, outside of a local market (similar to ESPN), can only be seen on MLBNet OR through EI; so those that don't have EI can only see the game on MLBNet (so it is exclusive to these folks). The Thursday games on MLBNet use their own announcers.
OK, but at least fans of teams with strong RSNs like the Red Sox and Yankees who broadcast every non-national exclusive game won't have to worry about missing a game.

I guess it's fair to say because a local team's RSN is not carrying one of their games and MLBN is, it can be called an "exclusive national broadcast". :rolleyes:

OK, but at least fans of teams with strong RSNs like the Red Sox and Yankees who broadcast every non-national exclusive game won't have to worry about missing a game.
Prime Ticket is not a strong RSN? The example I used was a deal worked out by MLBNet and the Dodgers. The game was to be carried by MLBNet exclusively for LA. The Dodgers, like the Sox and Yanks televise every game, except for those ESPN Sunday Night games and FOX Saturday baseball games, just like the Yanks and the Sox.

This is the second time you brought up a point without knowing anything about it. If you do not have MLBNet, then how can you comment about its quality? If you cannot watch the Dodgers (BTW, I can watch every Yanks and Sox game...Which I do BTW), then how can you comment on their broadcasts?
I guess it's fair to say because a local team's RSN is not carrying one of their games and MLBN is, it can be called an "exclusive national broadcast". :rolleyes:
Why not? If that is the only way to watch it.

Prime Ticket is not a strong RSN? The example I used was a deal worked out by MLBNet and the Dodgers. The game was to be carried by MLBNet exclusively for LA. The Dodgers, like the Sox and Yanks televise every game, except for those ESPN Sunday Night games and FOX Saturday baseball games, just like the Yanks and the Sox.
Thank you, that's my entire point. MLBN does not have "exclusive national broadcasts" as you stated earlier. The local RSNs are still allowed to televise these games if they choose to do so.

An earlier poster asked if they were missing anything by not having MLBN and my point was that you will not miss any of your teams games, provided your RSN carries them. This is not like the situation with NFLN where if you don't have it and your team is playing, you can't see it.

This is the second time you brought up a point without knowing anything about it. If you do not have MLBNet, then how can you comment about its quality? If you cannot watch the Dodgers (BTW, I can watch every Yanks and Sox game...Which I do BTW), then how can you comment on their broadcasts?
I don't recall making any comments about the "quality" of MLBN. I just went back and looked at my posts and I see I didn't. I was simply responding to the earlier poster regarding the content.

A friend has MLBN and I've seen it. I like a lot of the on-air personnel (Harold Reynolds was great at ESPN, I wish they could trade him for Kruk ;)) and I think they do a fine job. But, for me it's not enough to switch providers for when I can get comparable content on other networks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)