Hard Drive Enclosure

probinson

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
NW Pennsylvania
I just bought this hard drive enclosure;

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012VRBGM/ref=ox_ya_os_product"]Amazon.com: 3.5IN USB 2.0 To Ide/sata Hard Drive Enclosure: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/212yTrmXDeL.@@AMEPARAM@@212yTrmXDeL[/ame]

I'm planning to use it in my business for data recovery (when someone brings me a "dead" computer and wants the data retrieved from the hard drive), but I was wondering if this kind of thing would work as an EHD for a 622 or 722K? I have some movies on my old 622 that is in my son's room now that I'd like to bring down to the 722K in the living room, and it might just be a nifty bonus if I could use this to do that.

Does anyone know if this would work as an EHD for the Dish receivers?

I just bought this hard drive enclosure;

Amazon.com: 3.5IN USB 2.0 To Ide/sata Hard Drive Enclosure: Electronics

I'm planning to use it in my business for data recovery (when someone brings me a "dead" computer and wants the data retrieved from the hard drive), but I was wondering if this kind of thing would work as an EHD for a 622 or 722K? I have some movies on my old 622 that is in my son's room now that I'd like to bring down to the 722K in the living room, and it might just be a nifty bonus if I could use this to do that.

Does anyone know if this would work as an EHD for the Dish receivers?

You will not be able to use it for both copying data off a computer and as a Dish EHD. The EHD gets priority formatted and configured in Dish's variety of Linux and it takes up the entire drive.

You can use it for one or the other, but not both.

You will not be able to use it for both copying data off a computer and as a Dish EHD. The EHD gets priority formatted and configured in Dish's variety of Linux and it takes up the entire drive.

You can use it for one or the other, but not both.

I see...

But as an enclosure, I will be able to remove and swap the 3.5 HDD inside with any 3.5 HDD. So while I may not be able to use a single drive for both, it sounds like I should be able to use the enclosure with a different HDD for different tasks.

I see...

But as an enclosure, I will be able to remove and swap the 3.5 HDD inside with any 3.5 HDD. So while I may not be able to use a single drive for both, it sounds like I should be able to use the enclosure with a different HDD for different tasks.

If you are going to change the drive, you want to use what I use:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Sata-HDD-Docking-Station/dp/B0012Z3MKW/"]Amazon.com: Thermaltake Sata HDD USB Docking Station: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41P4voF1jxL.@@AMEPARAM@@41P4voF1jxL[/ame]

which is designed to change drives in seconds.

It allows me to use $80 1 TB drives meant for internal use, rather than having to buy more expensive external drives.

However, I have one for my PC and one for my Dish 622, it is too much trouble to switch the cable every time. ;) You do need to turn off the power switch on the unit before changing the drives.

41P4voF1jxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Amazon.com: Thermaltake Sata HDD USB Docking Station: Electronics

It allows me to use $80 1 TB drives meant for internal use, rather than having to buy more expensive external drives.

However, I have one for my PC and one for my Dish 622, it is too much trouble to switch the cable every time. ;) You do need to turn off the power switch on the unit before changing the drives.

They also come in a USB/eSATA model. I use the eSATA with my computers and the USB with my 622.

Amazon.com: Thermaltake Sata HDD USB Docking Station: Electronics

I like that enclosure and being able to change our the drives quickly but I wish they made a cover to slip over the drive so it's not exposed. I wouldn't want to have to look at the exposed drive all the time.