Any US actions against a subscriber?

Isn't it true that the rules of the CRTC & FCC are that *C & BEV cannot provide service outside Canada, while the two American providers cannot provide service inside Canada? We'rent these rules put in place to prevent each service provider from competing in the other's market?

While these rules are not necessarily enforced, as long as the service is paid for, if you give a provider reason to know the actual location to which they are provding service, it could lead to disconnection. That's my understanding.

As far as an installer goes, you could always ask your installer anonymously over the phone if they could/would install a *C system for you. If they say yes, you're home free; if they hem & haw, call somebody else.

In addition to my installation fee, it cost me an extra $20 in cash for the installer to "have some refreshment on his way home." I figured it was worth the money just to keep eveyone happy & quiet.

Very convenient for Bell Xpress Vu to have a toll free number that works from the states to Canada.

Has anyone noticed that when using a Canadian phone system through Bell Canada that you cannot call Dish Network in the states?

At least Dish Network has a computer call back in place to get around blocking methods.

It's only been within the past few months, perhaps a year, that 888 SKY DISH has worked from the US. And therein lies my problem....

I've been using the local 416 383 6688 number to call Expressvu, and that worked fine. But now I find that has been disconnected. Does anyone else have a 416 number for Expressvu? Frankly, I don't want to call them on that number and risk being disconnected.

Again, Canadian law has no bite outside the Canadian Borders. Until there is a US Law of the same, you are clear.

Bottom line, you are subbing to E* or D* - so they are making money. No skin off their back.

And I for one, would LOVE, to have a D* or E* installer try to notify SC or BEV about an install at my place and have it disconnected. I would be living in a mansion after that went to court UNDER USA LAW.

I have a cable and dish installer and local tv employee for neighbors all of whom are noseyand went so far as to call / email the fcc about my star choice dish. ( i am here in pa) guess what! It is not illegal!
The tv station complained that it was unfair competition that i was importing cbs feeds through another country! Guess what? US laws do not apply, according to the fcc. One of the ***** even called starchoce and gave them my name and address, *c said they do not sell to us residents but Canadian residents with second homes or on holiday in usa can legally use starchoice in the usa and they would not furnish any info about their customers. *C never said anything to me.
I would not worry- *c will not do anything.

Isn't it true that the rules of the CRTC & FCC are that *C & BEV cannot provide service outside Canada, while the two American providers cannot provide service inside Canada? We'rent these rules put in place to prevent each service provider from competing in the other's market?

Not exactly. Canada has some "cultural purity" or "cultural integrity" laws. Such laws would be unconstitutional in the United States, but not there. Those laws are to limit the influence of U.S. culture, and help them preserve their uniqueness/way of life. They don't want unlimited U.S. TV in their country.

So when we visit Canada, we are in fact visiting another culture. It would be a shame if they became completely "just like us."

Canada limits it's citizens access to foreign TV. The United States doesn't. Good for Canada, a small country almost overwhelmed by us. But if our government tried it here, I believe there would literally be blood in the streets.

daves1: Nice neighborhood. :rolleyes:

any dish installer worth half his weight could tell by looking at the dish and know it is star choice. or run a numbers calculation, if you are that worryed take the dish down before his arrival

Not exactly. Canada has some "cultural purity" or "cultural integrity" laws. Such laws would be unconstitutional in the United States, but not there. Those laws are to limit the influence of U.S. culture, and help them preserve their uniqueness/way of life. They don't want unlimited U.S. TV in their country.

So when we visit Canada, we are in fact visiting another culture. It would be a shame if they became completely "just like us."

Canada limits it's citizens access to foreign TV. The United States doesn't. Good for Canada, a small country almost overwhelmed by us. But if our government tried it here, I believe there would literally be blood in the streets.

daves1: Nice neighborhood. :rolleyes:

I find it hilarious that, on one side there are the Canadian "cultural integrity" laws, and on the other side the reality of Canadian satellite television. Every major US network show is available in Canada on Canadian networks! Every Canadian satellite subscriber gets programming from every timezone in Canada! There is more American programming available in Canada then there is Canadian programming here, and Canadian subs have better access to American programming than Americans do!! The only thing limited in Canada is the acccess the citizens have to foreign TV PROVIDERS.....not the programming itself. Even that is poorly implimented as Canadian satellite subs get US major-market stations. I'm not complaining as it benefits *C and BEV subscribers down here, but the whole thing is quite humorous if you think about it.

Quite honestly, with the exception of Quebec & Metric, I've never noticed going to Canada being any different than going to another state.

Quite honestly, with the exception of Quebec & Metric, I've never noticed going to Canada being any different than going to another state.

Safer, politer. Try visiting Niagara Falls NY, then cross the border to the other side of the falls. Night and day.

We've camped up there. OK, we've RV'd up there. Kids in the campground were quiet, respectful of others, non-destructive. We seemed to be the only Americans there.

We love visiting Canada.

Safer, politer. Try visiting Niagara Falls NY, then cross the border to the other side of the falls. Night and day.

We've camped up there. OK, we've RV'd up there. Kids in the campground were quiet, respectful of others, non-destructive. We seemed to be the only Americans there.
My wife is Canadian, so I'm very exposed to the "culture". We spend every summer in Northern Ontario.
Small towns in Ontario are no different than small towns in Pennsylvania. Heck, my father-in-law's town of Cameron even has Amish, same as we do in Lancaster.
Ditto for large towns. Downtown Vancouver & Toronto even have the gang problems you can expect in Atlanta or New York. There are parts of Scarbourough where you just don't go at nights.
As for politness, tends to be different in different areas. Southern Hospitality is not a myth as I've noticed, and New Yorker (city not state) rudeness is very real too. But Northern Ontario is very polite as well, and Quebec rudeness very much in force.
RV parks tend to be the same on boths side, mismatch of people from everywhere.

Actually, I prefer the NY side of Niagara Falls. Ontario commercialized the hell out of it, and New York left a beautiful park.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts