Any use for a 942?

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I came across my 942 during my last move, and got to thinking. Is there any use for it as a Dish Receiver? My parent's jumped into an HDTV at Christmas and are still using their 301. They would never use the DVR features, and I know the HD is in MPEG 4, but if I could use the 942 as a dual tuner (feeding second TV) SD receiver with OTA HD, I'd be happy.

Miner

It can't hurt to try, but I doubt you will get a 722 for free.

I had the 921 and when everything switched to mpeg 4 they sent me a 722 for free. The difference between my situation and yours is that it was an active receiver on my account.

Remember the 921 (942 too?) is MPEG-2 and thus could work OTA but all Dish HD and Eastern Arc SD is MPEG-4 and thus not useable. I got the 722 "replacement" and didn't return the 921 for $10 but I have to pay $17/month now on top of the original $900+. I still haven't tested for most of 2 years.
-Ken

It does have a good hard disk drive. Maybe I'll pull it out and use it with an external case as another drive for my 622.
Thank goodness I only paid $125 (used) for it. I did get 2+ years of service out of it.
I'll put it in my collection of Dish Receivers, 4000, 811, 942.

hard drive from a 942 won't spin up attached to a computer unless you have better luck than I did at flashing the drive firmware or whatever that useless bootcd I downloaded didn't do.

942 does still make a pretty good OTA DVR though, especially if you have a dish pointed at wherever your locals come from so you get some guide data.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)