Any Voomers from Sacramento, CA ?

Sounds Like 58 Has Been Hosed for a While

Use Deeann's link to the Sacramento Area forum on AVS from her reply to me in this thread on 7/1 (cause I don't know how to paste that link here myself!). There are threads there since 7/3 regarding problems on 58. :(

Vicki

Ch-58 (WB)

Thanks Vicki .... as of now ... Ch-58 is just a blank screen (I had seen similar symptoms few weeks ago). However, Ch-3 (3-1) is coming without any problems .. but that doesn't mean it will have problems when they switch to HD broadcasts ... :confused:

Ch-58 (WB)

Hi vicki ... thanks for the info ...
Still no go on Ch-58

Will keep checking periodically ... have sent an email to KCRA/KQCA engineering dept .. but I am not keeping my hopes high for a response .. atleast .. have not received one before :)

BTW .... Happy Birthday from one Cancer to another ... :D

Kqca-58

OK .. I just observed more issues with WB on KQCA-58. HD programming is now coming without any issues, but SD is loosing audio. This is more noticable during commercial breaks between HD programs (I was watching re-run of Smallville at 9 PM PST) which are in SD and no audio.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

WOW Factor on PBS 6.1 Details

I've been watching History Detectives on 6.1 Sacramento PBS, and the picture wasFABULOUS! I could see every complexion flaw, wrinkle, freckle, etc. Even though previously I've seen such detail before I got the WOW factor on Thursday (see this thread thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=23379
), it had been only on close-up shots--now I'm seeing it on distant shots, freckles on the chest of a woman in a V-neck sweater! The recreation segments were grainy/fuzzy, but obviously deliberately so for "atmosphere". The old B/W photos showed excellent detail, and an old typewritten page even showed the "ink bleed" at the edges of the letters. I'm excited!!! Here is my status info when this was showing:

1. Software Version 5.68
2. EMM Providers: 1080/159
3. Satellite Signal Quality: 93-95
4. Off-Air Signal Quality: 70-76
5. Satellite Signal Power/SNR: 68-69/14-15
6. Off-Air Signal Power/SNR: 71/0.00
7. Authorization Status: MP

If you were able to catch part of this program, while you are tuned to 6.1, could you please post:
1. Your software version,
2. EMM Providers (i.e., 1080, ***),
3. Satellite Signal Quality,
4. Off-Air Signal Quality,
5. Satellite Signal Power/SNR,
6. Off-Air Signal Power/SNR, and
7. Authorization Status
These are all on pages 1, 2 & 3 of your System Settings Status options

I'm trying to put together an analysis of how and why the WOW factor comes and/or . So, if you saw the program, (even if you are no longer tuned to channel 6.1), please inidicate your general area and put the time you check your settings, an :) d whatever comments you have about how the program looked to you. Thanks!

Thanks,

Vicki

Here goes:

1. Software Version, V00.05.68
2. EMM Providers, 10.80, 55b, 1080
3. Satellite Signal Quality, 88-93
4. Off-Air Signal Quality, 86-91
5. Satellite Signal Power/SNR, 100/13.54
6. Off-Air Signal Power/SNR, 81/32.80
7. Authorization Status, SWO

The picture is excellent on all channels. I'm in the North Sac. area.

Hi! Is anyone else in the Sac area getting a huge drop in sat signal strength these last few days from what you normally get? For me it's usually around the low to mid-90's in clear to slightly overcast, 80's in light rain or fog but lately it's averaging in the 70's, enough to break up or lose signal. I have a 24" dish. I have a service call scheduled (I'm wondering if the dish got slightly misaligned from the windstorm a few days ago) but I thought I'd also check to see if it was a regional problem.

Thanks!!!

DeeAnn

The service call is done and it's back in the 90's (mid to high). The dish was slightly off. That's actually pretty good, that it took *that* strong of a storm to cause wonkyness . :)

Hi DeeAnn,
I live just north of Modesto and I haven't had any problems with my signal since I had Voom installed on Feb. 23rd. During the recent storms it's gotten down to the low 80's but I haven't lost any satellite channels. However, I have not been getting 13-1 or 13-2 for an entire day now (I usually get ALL of the local channels 3,6,10,13,19,29,31,40,42,58). Have you had any problems with KOVR since 3/3. It comes in over my DISH satellite but not my DISH OTA or my VOOM OTA...Thanks in advance for any info/input you may have.

Thanks! The service call fixed it all up (signal strength back to normal). The windstorm had knocked it a bit out of alignment.

(from AVS) KOVR-DT was down for a while but it's back up again, so you should be able to see it now.

Another possible (future) alternative HD source for the Sacramento Area

I'm going back to SureWest cable on the 30th. I was with them as a sub (and also helped them troubleshoot stuff when they first launched and for a bit afterwards) when they were originally WinFirst and for a while after the SureWest (a.k.a. Roseville Telephone Company) buyout. According to a CSR and this press release (in the paragraph before the "about" section) they plan to start their HD rollout this year (the CSR said they plan for summer). I have no idea of what HD channels will be offered or pricing.

When I had the service they used Harmonic encoders also, I don't know if that's the case anymore. Overall (with some exceptions that have hopefully been fixed by now; a bit of green push I had to tweak out and frame drops on some channels) I liked the look of the SD better than Comcast (who I had right before Voom).

So...anyway- I'm gonna give it a shot.

Deeann.....I have been a Surewest sub when they were first Winfirst. When they were Winfirst channel 10 (Christina Mendosa) came our to the home to check out the system which we loved. I have kept them on board because of the bundle package they offer with phone and internet service and as a backup. On a yearly basis I have asked Surewest when are they going to rollout HD and they always answer that they have our best interest at heart and are working on it. I'm going to hold on to Voom till the end and in the meantime see what can be done by checking out other services. We at our household will miss VOOM and don't hold your breath for Surewest.

Hi Tobar! Dang, that's too bad if they are being slow with the HD rollout, but I'll probably stay with it for a bit in the meantime to see what's going to happen with the other services.

I have a couple of questions if that's okay. Which STB do you have, the Philips or the new one (Amino?). The Philips was pretty crashy. Do you know if they have fixed the old framedrop/stutter problem (if you ever noticed it- a lot of people didn't), and how fast is the channel changing now?

Edit- I think I remember the news story! That's pretty neat! I have the internet broadband service only right now (love it!).

Thanks!

Deeann....I have the old Philips STB and it's been working fine. It was crashing once a month 6 months ago but since then with the software updates it's has been pretty reliable. And I am able to change channels pretty fast (male trait). If you find a pretty good deal on one of the other sat. services let me know, I'm going to stick with surewest for awhile too. (Their internet service is super fast....love it too).

Thanks! Sounds like they are more stable now (which is good because the recovery time used to be about 10 minutes or so if you had to force a hit and also re-aquire the channels). I'm glad channel changing is faster too (I guess I've "borrowed" that male trait :D).

I'm waiting to see what's going to happen with D* & E* in the next few months, and there's word of Verizon getting into the game (with Fiber to the Premises) at some point, but if SureWest doesn't work out I might end up back at Comcast (for the 5th time or so throughout it's many iterations :D).

Hi everyone! I've got a completely off-topic post over here http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=66264 and a heads-up to those in the Arden Arcade area. Several people on our street have gotten their cars broken into the last few days (and mine was stolen early this morning).

More on topic, I'm switching over to E* instead of SureWest.

Sorry to hear about your neighborhood. My van was stolen several years ago (found it in Sparks). A very helpless feeling when things are taken from you. (Like Voom)

I switched to Dish this week though the local installer ADCO. They did an excellent job. My roof looks like a dish farm with the two dish. And the 942 has some cool features too. Great PQ. I am dropping the Surewest TV but keeping the broadband (can't beat it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)