Any way to use 612 for OTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ferl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Troy, IL
I currently use the Hopper and the ota modules are not available. I have an old 612 that I connected to an antenna, but it won't work unless it's connected to the dish. Is there any way I can get around this issue?

I currently use the Hopper and the ota modules are not available. I have an old 612 that I connected to an antenna, but it won't work unless it's connected to the dish. Is there any way I can get around this issue?
That is the way it is designed, it is not supposed to be a FREE OTA receiver.

Reactions: Tampa8
I'm not trying to get something for free though. This would not be an issue if the usb tuner would be available for my hopper.

Thanks, but like every other site they are currently unavailable.

There's a few on EBay.

There's a few on EBay.

I've seen the $169 offering. Supply & demand brings out better side of people ;)
I guess the inconvenience of having to watch something live doesn't outweigh the price. After all, it's just TV. It's not an EpiPen.
I just thought digging my old 612 out of a box in the basement might be a temporary alternative.

At these rates, it begins to look attractive to spend a couple hundred and get a Channel Master DVR+ and slap your own EHD on it, and have a complete solution.

I do not understand this Dish policy of going all in on the Hopper! Why won't they let people mix and match receivers?

The OP can't use his 612 as an OTA receiver if it isn't active on his account, they won't let him activate it if he has a Hopper and there are no OTA tuners currently available from Dish for the Hopper. Talk about a quagmire!

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell
I'd like to mark TheKrell's post as "Best Answer", but alas, that is not an option on this site.

Plus, I'd fear the backlash from the kool-aid drinking Hopper lynch mob. :D

I have one of those USB dongles Never used make me now want to list it on Ebay :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)